LC 20 and synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil do you guys use when using LC20? Im currently using amsoil series 3K but if i can get away with using a good cheaper synthetic oil with LC can i get the same results? What synthetic oils would you recommend with LC20 Thanks.

[ January 22, 2006, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: TRDUSA2002 ]

I use Havoline dino 5w20 with LC20 because my oil life monitor indicates service due at about the 6000 mile mark. I will get a UOA to fine tune the LC doseage I need but at 6000 miles and my driving conditions, dino is all I need to use with it.

I think it may depend on what you are looking for from the synthetic. If it is for better protection due to severe driving conditions, extreme temps or heavy engine loads, you probably are better off with what you have. If it is just extended drain you want, they say you can go 10000 mile OCIs with just dino oil using LC20. Few people go that far with any oil, including synthetic. If you do not plan on going that far and generally change oil around the 5000-7500 mile mark and still want to use LC20, save your money on the synthetic and just use dino with it. Don't forget to get a UOA now and then just to make sure.

I am running Lube control with M1 0w30.. Sweating out a 10k mile run(near 7500 at this point). I think your choice of oil is indestructable though.
Sure a good syn oil(such as s3k) can easily cruise to 10 k in a healthy engine. But the LC may keep the oil effecient longer. Terry also states that his observations indicate that LC acts as a friction modifier.
Since FM's are often the first additive used up in an engine oil. IMO a LC regimen can help maintain that effieciency or boost it in oils that are not adequately friction modified. LC is not expensive and it gives you a reason to tinker and pass the miles while you sweat out the first of your long OCI's
wink.gif

I agree with LC it will make it even better. I have been doing 10 to 12K drains in my Lexus using ASL 5w-30. Works just fine via oil tests and when I pulled the valve cover.

Going to try some LC and see what happens to wear number on my next oil test. I jsut started using FP60 and so far, smoothes the motor out.

As far as oil change frequency goes, when I ran M1 10W-30 or 5W-30 sans LC20 in my Civic I would change it about every 4000 to 5000 miles along with the filter. I've only been using LC and FP for less than a month now, so I haven't really settled on OCI's yet but I'm thinking about 8000 to 10000 miles with a filter change around halftime. We'll see.

Definite positive results with both products. The LC20 in particular has significantly reduced the valvetrain noise as I mentioned in another post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back