Lay Off / Furlough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm part of a 30 day furlough at work. What a stressful thing, I've never been laid off or shelved before.

I went from working one day to trying to understand unemployment benefits and trying to occupy my time. Out of fear of unemployment taking too long to get me a payment I've had to return some gifts too. To top it off my cars are all winterized and ready to roll too!

This sucks!

Last edited:
30 days? Ouch. I've had a couple of them, but they were 5 days at time. I think both times I came in and worked anyhow, as the company was still open and running, well, everything. Figured if I wanted the company to stay afloat then it wouldn't be a bad thing to come in anyhow and pull my (unpaid) weight.

Years ago I worked for a company that laid off every Christmas. It gets old after a few years. I moved on to a better job. Best of luck to you.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Why do you think the company is failing ?

Might not be failing. In my case, I work (then and now) for a semiconductor manufacturer; and as such, ride the wave known as the economy. In my case, when the people at the top see a trough, they hit the brakes and save cash through a variety of means. Furlough is one of the last ones to be used.

Just so I understand this correctly, they are closing down for 30 days, then starting back up, right?
Either that or you got a 30 days notice before you are out the door. Which is correct?

While unsettling, look around and count the things for which you are thankful. My last four professional engineering jobs ended as follows:
Fresh out of college, 300 miles from home, lost government contract, everyone less than 2 years service, gone.
Plant closing due to merger, 1500+ people.
Plant closing due to poor management decisions, 4500 people, semiconductor manufacturer gone to China.
Healthcare cost containment due to Obumma care.

Now retired and appreciate family, health and life.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
You do not have any savings put back for just such thing as this happening?

We do, but I have no faith in unemployment to come through in a timely manner. I hate to burn that up if its not needed.

It's not, its government contract work and the money is all tied. Part of it is the temp budget until March and partly I think because of the election outcome.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX

We do, but I have no faith in unemployment to come through in a timely manner. I hate to burn that up if its not needed.

Aren't you going to burn it up anyway? Unemployment doesn't cover 100%, around here it's only 50% up to a particular max. At least you get unemployment, I'm self employed so I don't qualify for any unemployment.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Aren't you going to burn it up anyway? Unemployment doesn't cover 100%, around here it's only 50% up to a particular max. At least you get unemployment, I'm self employed so I don't qualify for any unemployment.

The state I'm filing in seems to be about 80% or so. I'm not losing a ton.

I just need it to flow to keep things normal which is optimal here. I can adjust expenditures to make it work.

Originally Posted By: supton

Might not be failing. In my case, I work (then and now) for a semiconductor manufacturer; and as such, ride the wave known as the economy. In my case, when the people at the top see a trough, they hit the brakes and save cash through a variety of means. Furlough is one of the last ones to be used.

Yeah. A lot of companies involved in construction, engineering, manufacturing, etc. shut down for a bit this time of year...

That is the first ting about life that my Dad taught me. My Dad was #1

It's not, its government contract work and the money is all tied. Part of it is the temp budget until March and partly I think because of the election outcome.
No

OK so its likely because of the inability to let a contract until CR is over. This is standard stuff, and while CR may be a bit longer this time because of election year turnover, its pretty routine.

You cant pay back your savings when UI comes through?

PolarisX- What line of work are you in if you don't mind me asking? Have you been with them a long time? Might be a good time to brush up on your resume and surf the field. Much easier to find work when you're already "working".

I feel for you on the unemployment thing. I only collected it once for a few months, about 25yrs ago.

I collected unemployment once, during a furlough; "everyone" at the office said to do so, even HR. I felt so wrong about it afterward that I didn't on the next furlough. It may well be "my" money coming back to me, but for some reason I just felt wrong. I wasn't unemployed, I just wasn't being paid. At least in my case it was such a short period of time I could shrug off the loss.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

OK so its likely because of the inability to let a contract until CR is over. This is standard stuff, and while CR may be a bit longer this time because of election year turnover, its pretty routine.

You cant pay back your savings when UI comes through?

I can yes, but it took me a long time to build it. Make a bit less on UI is pretty much missing what I would try to save.

Originally Posted By: JTK
PolarisX- What line of work are you in if you don't mind me asking? Have you been with them a long time? Might be a good time to brush up on your resume and surf the field. Much easier to find work when you're already "working".

I feel for you on the unemployment thing. I only collected it once for a few months, about 25yrs ago.

I do incoming material cutting, staging, and storage for the machine shop part of a larger facility. I deal in bulk aluminum, stainless, and steel. I also do basic maintenance on the machines, which granted have no one running many of them right now...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back