Latest Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter as of 2023 January - Is it still a good choice?

I have 7 more Ultras for my wife's CR-V (Hope the car lasts that long!). I'm not doing extended drains with them. I got 5 of them from Amazon when they dropped price plus 15% subscribe and save. I usually pay $8.12 for them and I got them for $6.89. Can't say if there is anything as good in that price range. I usually go by the MM so it could be anywhere between 5000 and 7500 miles. I have HPL in there now so I will also swap it out when it is time to change the oil and not extend. Even when I was using the EaO filters, I changed them with the oil.

I have been happy with Bosch Premium 3323 filters in Honda applications. Good specifications (filtration eff) and good build quality from my filter cuts. I need to do more filter cuts and post pictures, etc. Good prices too, see Rockauto.

The fram titanium is supposed to now be what the XG used to be.
If you use the advanced auto parts 15% off coupon the price is a bit more reasonable.
Screenshot_20230120-053238_Advance Auto.jpg

The fram titanium is supposed to now be what the XG used to be.
If you use the advanced auto parts 15% off coupon the price is a bit more reasonable.
View attachment 136366
Maybe… Members here have reported that the Titanium has moved to the non-wire backed, non 2 layer pink full syn media of the past. AAP had given me a $20 off $20, that I combined with a code, and I bought a 3600 size and a 10060 one, they were both wire backed-but they were from a location that doesn’t sell a lot of premium big $ filters.

I had looked at Titanium in the past, but it was being marketed by Fram as a higher flow filter (with slightly less filtration efficiency than Fram Ultra).
I was always confused by the question of which applications you should use the Fram Titanium for and which ones you should use the Fram Ultra for? If anyone has bought a Titanium in the size comparable with the XG7317, would be very interesting to hear their feedback on filtering efficiency and internal components of the filter, namely: Does it have a wire backing, does it have synthetic or synthetic blend media?

Using the Fram.com chat he told me
"No difference at all. The only difference is that Advanced Auto wanted to have their own private Fram line so we came up w/the Titanium name/line, gave it a different prefix and a little different look", when I asked about the differences in Ultra Synthetic vs Titanium regarding a cartridge style filter for my Tacoma.

He could not give me a direct answer on if they were wire backed or not, the pictures look like they could.

I have been happy with Bosch Premium 3323 filters in Honda applications. Good specifications (filtration eff) and good build quality from my filter cuts. I need to do more filter cuts and post pictures, etc. Good prices too, see Rockauto.
I agree, used many recently on Hondas and just installed one on a 2.5L Rogue. But a heads up, for you. Latest BP3323 coming from RA (also referenced on Amazon comments) show a change in coo to Mexico. The one cut open anecdote I saw from RA not near the quality of the Puro US made. I would not buy one. Don't know if the decision was by Bosch to go with another manufacturer or an M&H decision. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
I agree, used many recently on Hondas and just installed one on a 2.5L Rogue. But a heads up, for you. Latest BP3323 coming from RA (also referenced on Amazon comments) show a change in coo to Mexico. The one cut open anecdote I saw from RA not near the quality of the Puro US made. I would not buy one. Don't know if the decision was by Bosch to go with another manufacturer or an M&H decision. Caveat emptor.
I had the Bosch Premium 3323 filter on my short list for a while, but found the same thing you did. Quality was good, but recent cut open BP3323's look poorly made.

I had the Bosch Premium 3323 filter on my short list for a while, but found the same thing you did. Quality was good, but recent cut open BP3323's look poorly made.
Luckily I did something rarely do, because they were such a good price on RA and my c&ps showed good quality, I stashed a bunch. Vehicles I maintain use that size so they will get used. It's really unfortunate they changed coo, and the quality went downhill.

I've said it before, but i don't believe First Brands Responses.

Ive moved to Amsoil/Royal Purple or OE. Amsoil and Royal Purple are Champion Labs made though and i think FB just acquired them, so it may only be a matter of time before they muck that up too.

I've said it before, but i don't believe First Brands Responses.

Ive moved to Amsoil/Royal Purple or OE. Amsoil and Royal Purple are Champion Labs made though and i think FB just acquired them, so it may only be a matter of time before they muck that up too.

It has been almost three years since FB acquired Champ so my guess is that it’s well underway.

Royal purple is a e-core 99% @ 25 microns with I think a nylon mesh backing. Nothing wrong with it but certainly nothing special other than the mesh backing.

Amsoil is better - 99% at 20 microns or used to be at least - same as the fram US. It does have a wire backing. Not a ton of media though. How much do those cost I wonder.

Both look to be good filters but not silver bullets.

Royal purple is a e-core 99% @ 25 microns with I think a nylon mesh backing. Nothing wrong with it but certainly nothing special other than the mesh backing.

I'll have to look, but i am 99.9% the ones i have are not E-Core or Nylon Mesh, though actually kind like that in the VW filters so it would be totally fine if that's true.

I have 3 more “ Old School” Ultras in my stash giving me 2 more years before I have to buy again.
So today, Wifey wanted to go shopping so I drove her to the Mall and on the anchoring end was the Walmart. Walked over to the Auto section to check out the wares.
I lifted up a new Ultra and I swear it felt lighter than the ones I have!
Maybe it’s my imagination, but regardless, it’s still a good filter for what it’s meant to do.

I had looked at Titanium in the past, but it was being marketed by Fram as a higher flow filter (with slightly less filtration efficiency than Fram Ultra).
Fram's website shows the Titanium to be same as the Ultra, think it always was advertised that way.

99%+ dirt-trapping efficiency.*
FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of FS8A, FS3387A and FS4967 or equivalent FRAM Force models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns.

The new Ultra has 50% more surface area than the OG, 133 sqin vs 89 sqin in the XG10535 size.

Must be more space for pleats without the wire mesh in there.

This is a significant improvement provided that you can get past the wavy look.

The new Ultra has 50% more surface area than the OG, 133 sqin vs 89 sqin in the XG10535 size.

Must be more space for pleats without the wire mesh in there.

This is a significant improvement provided that you can get past the wavy look.

Back