Lasagne

I made a lasagne with ground pork and spinach, four kinds of cheese (Ricotta, Gruyere, Mozarella, and Parmigiano mixed with breadcrumbs for the crust). Also onions, garlic, cream, and eggs as a binder. Various spices and herbs plus powdered porcini for the mushroom flavor I like. Béchamel sauce, basically a light roux with milk and extra butter.

I used precooked lasagne sheets. Assembling the lasagne took 10 minutes. Baking took 45 minutes. Meanwhile, I made the sauce, which took 5 minutes and cooked it on low for 40 minutes with occasional stirring. Not as cheap as a frozen lasagne but much better with just a bit more effort.

I should have shot this from a lower angle to show the layers but then I would have gotten my shadow interfering.

I make mine similar to yours.
I use sweet Italian sausage instead of ground pork. Ricotta, Mozzarella, Fontina, and Romano for the cheeses. No bread crumbs on top. I usually leave the spinach out of the Lasagna but, I use it in stuffed shells or manicotti.

I make mine similar to yours.
I use sweet Italian sausage instead of ground pork. Ricotta, Mozzarella, Fontina, and Romano for the cheeses. No bread crumbs on top. I usually leave the spinach out of the Lasagna but, I use it in stuffed shells or manicotti.
The nice thing about lasagne is that it's so adjustable to one's taste. I'm not too fond of fennel and anise so no Italian sausage for me. Ground pork spiced with thyme, rosemary, paprika, cayenne, a little coriander. Mixing the Parmegiano with some breadcrumbs gives me an extra-crunchy crust. I also like zucchini and even beet greens in lasagne. I'm very picky when it comes to the tomatoes in my lasagne. Anyway, lasagne is not something I eat very often. Maybe once every six weeks?

I made a lasagne with ground pork and spinach, four kinds of cheese (Ricotta, Gruyere, Mozarella, and Parmigiano mixed with breadcrumbs for the crust). Also onions, garlic, cream, and eggs as a binder. Various spices and herbs plus powdered porcini for the mushroom flavor I like. Béchamel sauce, basically a light roux with milk and extra butter.

I used precooked lasagne sheets. Assembling the lasagne took 10 minutes. Baking took 45 minutes. Meanwhile, I made the sauce, which took 5 minutes and cooked it on low for 40 minutes with occasional stirring. Not as cheap as a frozen lasagne but much better with just a bit more effort.

I should have shot this from a lower angle to show the layers but then I would have gotten my shadow interfering.
Great looking lasagna ... love that topping. It looks nice and crunchy.

I make mine with no meat. The tomato sauce is Costco's spaghetti sauce in the # 10 can and then we add spices to it. The cheese sauce is a mixture of ricotta, cottage cheese, parmeson, parsley, a small amount of milk and three eggs. The "meat" is finely chopped broccoli and sliced olives. The noodles get layered in dry. Finished off with a top layer of Mexican cheese mix. Cooked at 350 for about 1 1/4 hour, with the final part covered with foil. It works best if allowed to sit for a few hours before eating. Amazingly good and like mustard greens and possum innards, they is just as good the next day.

Looks great! mmmm.....

I recommend a dedicated lasagne tray.

We didi Christmas lasagne vs Roast Beast.

They also make a smaller version for brownies so every piece is a " corner" piece.

IMG_3521.jpeg
IMG_3509.jpeg

It has become a tradition in our house that I make lasagne for Christmas dinner. I use Rao’s marinara sauce, mozzarella and cottage cheese because our daughter does not like ricotta cheese. Ground beef and hot Italian sausage for the meat, and hand grated parmesano-reggiano cheese throughout and for the topping. I add baby bella mushrooms, garlic and onions to the sauce also.

Back