Kumho tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by D Bone:

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:
Tirerack.com rating are based on owners responses not scientific objective testing. They give an indication of what is decent but not the best.

It is quite obvious when someone writes in on a ultra-high performance summer tire stating it is shortlived and is deadly in the snow.

You OBVIOUSLY did not take the couple of seconds to click on the link that I provided for you. If you had, you would have seen that this was a test done WITH test equipment, performed by pros, and not just the "Average Joe"..............Here it is again.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ge_exclaim_uhp_c.jsp

Darryl

Not responding to you but the original poster. Stating they make 4/32 in reviews(user) is not meaningful.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by D Bone:

quote:

Tirerack.com rating are based on owners responses not scientific objective testing. They give an indication of what is decent but not the best.

It is quite obvious when someone writes in on a ultra-high performance summer tire stating it is shortlived and is deadly in the snow.

You OBVIOUSLY did not take the couple of seconds to click on the link that I provided for you. If you had, you would have seen that this was a test done WITH test equipment, performed by pros, and not just the "Average Joe"..............Here it is again.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ge_exclaim_uhp_c.jsp

Darryl

Not responding to you but the original poster. Stating they make 4/32 in reviews(user) is not meaningful.

cheers.gif

Darryl
grin.gif

i run kuhmo r700's when i go rallycrossing.

its truely brutal on tyres. in 1 single day which consists of 4 rounds, (about 30 mins driving total) i wear off 80% of the tread. its probably the most brutal way to test a tyre, but the r700's are good at resisting punctures on the sharp rocky course i run on. the rocks are coral by the way. the sidewalls are as thick as a semi trucks tyres. they are very difficult to mount because of the thick sidewalls and bead protectors, 3 of them no less. when im sliding sideways at 30mph those kumho's wont give in. i havent damaged one yet, except for wearing the tread out of course. but no tyre can withstand running on coral for long.

i tried dunlop tyres once, some a2 sports and they were shredded by the end of the day, im talkin they lost all the tread, had big cuts into the steel belts, ply seperations, etc.

My "qualifications" for this thread: There are about 6500 miles on my Neon's 2nd set of Kumho tires now.

The first set was the now discontinued Ecsta HP4 716, H-rated(Kumho has replaced this with something very similar), size 195/60/14, mounted on 14"x6" Mopar alloys. They lasted about 40,000 miles with minimal care, and from that standpoint were very good. As far as cornering, they had truly wimpy sidewalls compared to the previous tires(BF Goodrich Comp T/A H-rated), and even when inflated up to 36-38 psi didn't perform as well as the BFG's. Bought the Kumho 716's from Tirerack, will never do that again. When you lose free rotation & rebalance, you lose more than you save. Your decision may vary.
wink.gif

The current tires are Kumho PowerStar 758's in 185/65/14(the original factory size, whether on 6" wide alloys or 5.5" wide steel wheels), T-rated, again mounted on the same 6" wide alloys. Just got them rotated last week, gonna have to get them to check balance on the front ones very soon.
frown.gif
They were the cheapest thing in my size easily available in my area, bought them from Discount Tire in Longview, Tx.

Cornering ability is somewhat disappointing, but then I didn't expect them to be great. My #1 impression- for driving feel, and especially for tracking ability at highway speeds, these tires are more sensitive to air pressure than anything else I've ever driven on. Period, no contest. Rear pressure doesn't seem to matter, but the *front*! The tire shop let them down to their brainwashed 32 psi last week when hot. I checked them "cold" the next morning, the old reliable Milton gauge said 27-28 psi!
shocked.gif
No wonder it felt so mushy & meandering on the way home. Up to & including the recommended 32 psi, they feel sort of mushy on the highway, feel like they might peel off the rim when pushed around corners, and track poorly. At a cold 36-37 psi(where all my other tires on this car have both handled & tracked the best), they cut & corner semi-OK for a cheap tire- but won't track worth a d___!
mad.gif

For these tires on my car with my gauge, the magic front tire figure is 34 psi cold. Feels like a completely different car, tracks almost like it's on rails, corners as well as the higher pressures. My guess- This pressure must give the flattest footprint for the tread.

My take on Kumhos so far- as a bang-for-the-buck tire, they're OK to almost-very-good. I'm still surprised at how sensitive the Powerstar 758's are to inflation- at age 53 I've never seen anything quite like it. It sounds like bull, but it's true.
dunno.gif
cheers.gif

Ooooh yall beat me to this thread.

I just went from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S to Kumho Exsta ASX. It was a 300+$ price difference down. Just needed something temp till i refinish or get new wheels.

The Michelins have the best cornering hands down. In emergency swerving the Michelins are crisp with fast steering wheel recovery. They are noisy. Hydroplaning is minimal with the channel design and silica compound.

The Kumho's are quiet
smile.gif
Which I like. The cornering is not nearly as crisp. Experimenting with swerve manuevers last night it was clear that my Kumho do not have the acrobatic handling of the Michelins. I did get what I paid for. 680$ vs 330$

I would rate the Kumho ASX more akin to a Summer Performance Touring category versus Kumho's designation as a Ultra High Performance type.

Anyway they are quiet I like that
smile.gif
Highways and dates will not drive the gf's crazy. Just can auto cross in parking lots anymore *lol* Of course all tires are a draw back. Noise, Traction, Braking, Price if one is stronger the other is weaker.

My other choices were the Goodyear F1 GSD3 (made in Germany) , Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Avon Tech seems to be well liked on Tire Rack as well. Have not heard much on Avon though.

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
795's? That's the model I put on both my Tercel and my Corolla. I love these tires!

I just had these tires put on my 2001 Civic yesterday and I'm about to hit the road for 220 miles today. New tires, alignment, can't wait! Car actually goes straight now.

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:

quote:

I have owned a few sets on my cars just before I sold them. I think the price compromise of cheap makes owners the happiest. I thought they were about 75%-80% of my premium tires I placed on my car at 50% of the cost.

I guess it depends on which model you're talking about, but the A/S 795 ranked 4th overall out the 32 tires in it's catagory on the Tire Rack's comparison chart. It was also the next to the lowest priced tire of the 32. That's pretty tough to beat.

The 795 is now ranked 3rd out of 32. Not bad for the 2nd lowest priced tire in its catagory.

Just put a set on my '77 280z. I have nothing but good things to say about them. For my type of driving they fit the bill.
Best bang for buck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back