Kumho tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kumho may be the biggest and best secret in the entire tire industry. About a year ago I needed to replace the tires on my '93 Tercel. I started researching tires on the internet and found a lot of good owner's reviews on the Tire Rack's web site. I had noticed two things about Kumho tires; they were usually the least expensive tires in their group, and everyone who had them loved them. I bought a set for my Tercel and they are everything and more everyone said they were. Threadwear seems to be excellent, dry, wet, and snow traction are great, they ride smooth and quiet, and the price was unbelieveably low. I have recently put a set on my Corolla and I'm just as impressed with these tires. I don't know how anyone could go wrong with a set of these tires.

I couldn't agree more. I've researched a number of different Kumho tires over the past 2 or 3 years and considering the price, traction, and miles you get on them, which are my main considerations, you can't beat them. I just put a set of Kumho A/S 795 tires on my wife's Subaru Forester. Kumhos are quite popular where I live.

I have owned a few sets on my cars just before I sold them. I think the price compromise of cheap makes owners the happiest. I thought they were about 75%-80% of my premium tires I placed on my car at 50% of the cost.

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:
I have owned a few sets on my cars just before I sold them. I think the price compromise of cheap makes owners the happiest. I thought they were about 75%-80% of my premium tires I placed on my car at 50% of the cost.

I guess it depends on which model you're talking about, but the A/S 795 ranked 4th overall out the 32 tires in it's catagory on the Tire Rack's comparison chart. It was also the next to the lowest priced tire of the 32. That's pretty tough to beat.

Kumho - yes. I've used their Victoracers on my track car for probably 5 years, they're the best price-to-performance deal around. Not the very fastest (for what I do, that would be Hoosier) but much cheaper to buy, and they last much longer.

Tirerack.com rating are based on owners responses not scientific objective testing. They give an indication of what is decent but not the best.

It is quite obvious when someone writes in on a ultra-high performance summer tire stating it is shortlived and is deadly in the snow.

I am glad that you found that Kuhmo works well for you guys, I do however want to tell all the spirited drivers out there, that these tires may not be the ones for you if you like to take your car out to the track or like to take corners at as fast as possible, these may not be the tire for you.

again, I am very happy you guys found good tires that fit your driving style, GOOD JOB, Kuhmos are one of the biggest secrets out their.

quote:

Tirerack.com rating are based on owners responses not scientific objective testing. They give an indication of what is decent but not the best.

It is quite obvious when someone writes in on a ultra-high performance summer tire stating it is shortlived and is deadly in the snow.

Unfortunately there is no scientific objective test data that's compiled over the life of the tire. The good thing about the reviews in the Tire Rack is owners will post anything about a particular tire, good or bad. So you're able to read it all.

quote:

One peculiarity about Tire Rack's surveys is that OEM tires do not do well. I suspect this is because when someone is unhappy about his OEM tires, he will post a bad review, and then post a good review about the replacement set he purchased specifically tailored to the shortcoming of the OEM tire.

Put another way: A guy who is happy with his OEM tires is less likely to post a good review, and a guy who is unhappy will have a bias in his reviews.

Just something to keep in mind.

In keeping with the TireRack review issue:

A lot of those reviews are done after only a couple hundred or even a couple thousand miles. IMO, almost ANY new tire will feel better than an old, worn out, one. The real review should be after 10k or so once the individual has had an extended experience with them and has learned their quirks.

quote:

Originally posted by CapriRacer:
One peculiarity about Tire Rack's surveys is that OEM tires do not do well. I suspect this is because when someone is unhappy about his OEM tires, he will post a bad review, and then post a good review about the replacement set he purchased specifically tailored to the shortcoming of the OEM tire.

Put another way: A guy who is happy with his OEM tires is less likely to post a good review, and a guy who is unhappy will have a bias in his reviews.

Just something to keep in mind.

Fortuntaly TR breaks the user ratings down into 9 or 10 categories so with some reader interpretation there is a lot of useful information there.

It's the best source of information on a wide variety of tires that I'm aware of.

I hadn't picked up you the bias you noted, that's one more filter to add when I read their reviews.
cheers.gif

Well, obviously, you give varying levels of credence to the Tirerack reviews. If someone clearly doesn't know what he's talking about you can ignore the review. If someone writes a review after only a few hundred miles of use you can heavily discount review. If someone complains about poor snow traction on a high performance summer tire you can write off the review. Etc., etc.

Of course the reviews are subjective, anecdotal, and unscientific. However, the value of dozens to hundreds of reviews on the same tire should not be ignored for that reason, especially if, as I pointed out above, you ignore or discount some of the reviews when its appropriate to do so. Scientific studies are not the sole source of gaining knowledge about things. And show me where I can access some well designed and carried out scientific method studies of most tires sold by most tire companies.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
Well, obviously, you give varying levels of credence to the Tirerack reviews. If someone clearly doesn't know what he's talking about you can ignore the review.

BITOG is good practice for Tire Rack. BITOG is a bit easier to decipher because it's a fairly consistant cast of characters and you can figure out who's clueless and who's not.

The required comprehension skills are still much the same.

quote:

You OBVIOUSLY did not take the couple of seconds to click on the link that I provided for you. If you had, you would have seen that this was a test done WITH test equipment, performed by pros, and not just the "Average Joe"..............Here it is again.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ge_exclaim_uhp_c.jsp

Darryl

quote:

Originally posted by D Bone:

quote:

You OBVIOUSLY did not take the couple of seconds to click on the link that I provided for you. If you had, you would have seen that this was a test done WITH test equipment, performed by pros, and not just the "Average Joe"..............Here it is again.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ge_exclaim_uhp_c.jsp

Darryl

It's funny the title of the comparison is "a tire worth shouting about from General" and yet the Kumho outperforms it in every catagory.

Generally you can summarize Kumho's as a good tire at a great price. I have been running mine now for about 15,000 miles and am very pleased so far.

quote:

Originally posted by Bamaro:
Generally you can summarize Kumho's as a good tire at a great price. I have been running mine now for about 15,000 miles and am very pleased so far.

For the money, I don't think Kumho's can be beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back