Honest opinions on kumho tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys so ful disclosure I pulled the trigger already on some
Kumho Ecsta PA31 for my Saturn at $52 a tire on Amazon with my discount I couldn't pass that up. I had some kumhos on my first dart they were the OEM tires they were replaced at 26,000 miles and we're at 4/32 when I replaced them. Overall it was a decent tire. They didn't last as long as maybe they should have but they rode well handled well did good on rain and snow. A very decent well rounded tire. That all being said I thought I'd give these a go. What's your experience with kumho tires? Specifically these tires if you've had them?

Family member has Kumho Solus on her car.
Totally fine when I drive it.
You'll be fine too with your selection.
Don't let BITOG OCD mindset get to you.

Wash, rinse, repeat...
Honestly!

Last edited:
Lasted for years on my folk's 1998 Accord.
Replaced them with some Falkens before giving the car to a single mother.
But no problems.
Enjoy your new rubber.

For me: Balanced easily, extremely quiet, smooth ride -- all attributable to soft rubber. Didn't last long though and, at the time, had a horrendous sidewall design.

I'm sure they've gotten better now.

Had a good experience with some Kumho Road Venture APT on my Nissan Pickup a few years ago. Got a solid 50k hard miles from them and they had good ride / performance characteristics. It was a highway type tire, not all terrain. They rode quiet and performed well; couldn't ask for a better tire.

Put a set of Kuhmo Solus tires on my Solara. They rode smoothly and had lots of grip. Had better turn-in than the OEM Michelins (which were getting past it).

I gave the car to my daughter shortly after putting on the Kuhmos so I can't comment on tread-wear.

I can only comment on the only Kumho I have (Ecsta LX Platinum) vs the factory OEM (Bridgestone low rolling resistance W rated) and Sumitomo HTR Z III (close out, only 300 UTQG):

It has a pretty high rolling resistance (feels heavy, reduced mpg), good traction, last decently long (but not super long), cheap.

There are probably cheaper, longer lasting, or better grip tires out there, this is one of the many options. I don't think it suck or is surprisingly good.

I have been using the Kumho 4x/4x II for the past several tire rounds on my protege. I quite liked them. they were the first tire I ever used that didn't need replaced at 15-20k miles worth of use and had great grip both wet and dry. My car is running approximately 2 to 2.5 degrees camber all the way around and camber wear was great. I did have some toe wear putting extra tear on the fronts, but rotations made the 4x II last 40k miles or so.

I had a set of Kumho Crugen tires on my SantaFe and was very pleased with them. A lot better than the tires that came from the factory. Also my tire shop said they were a great tire for the price.

I have the Ecsta PS91s on the Escape I just bought. They seem do be okay. The run smooth and seem to be quiet on most roads.

I've had a bunch of Kumho tire sets (UHP and all season UHP. different models over different years), FWD and RWD cars. I've LIKED them all but don't think I fell in love with any of them. I would still buy them if money is tight especially in a pedestrian vehicle. I had em on 290whp FWD K04 VW GTI and 400whp/430wtq N54 BMW. I've had Kumhos even before I had those cars but they weren't that good back then. I think they've gotten WAY better than they were say a decade ago. Something like my wife's stock 2.5L Jetta I wouldn't even give a second thought if the price was right and the it is the type of tire I'm looking for.

I had Kumhos a few years ago and I also thought they wore quickly....not a bad tire but certainly not as long lasting as their wear rating would lead you to believe...

I had:
ECSTA summer tire (I forget the name, I ran them on my Golf)… great grip, reasonable in noise, decent wear

ECSTA AST's... the are a bargain basement tire and it shows with its quick wear (back when money was tight on the Passat)

ECSTA Platinum LX. Great tire, long wear, quiet, though wet traction wasn't that great, easy to break them loose (for the Passat).

Had Ecsta LX or something like that. Bought VW CC that was CPO and VW dealer put 4 new tires.
What Kumho forgot to put is instruction to pray to all known Gods when braking in wet. After 12k three tires could not be balanced anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back