kohler command pro 10w30 or 10w50?

The reality is that these engines aren't appreciably different in design that the other small engines out there - that is to say overbuilt, low stressed engines. Their rod journals are plenty big for the amount of work that they need to do and the mains if not ball bearing, have massive amounts of bearing surface area to distribute the load. The cams and tappets IF properly designed and manufactured don't see enough spring load to really matter either (no oil with save them from poor metallurgy and/or heat treatment) - the valve train is relatively light and because it only turns a max of 3600 rpm, the springs are really pretty soft.. so soft that you can move them pretty easily by hand.

The bigger threat to small engines is maintenance. Low oil, plugged cooling fins, burnt valves from wear/seat recession and fuel system problems are the most pressing issues a small engine owner faces.

That said, some engines in some applications benefit from a heavier oil like 10w/15w- 40/50 either to stave off consumption or to help it cope with extend high loads in high heat.

Last edited:
I kind of doubt a smaller cv224cc kohler would have both hydraulic lifters that also roll. Probably just a regular flat tappet

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but all small engines that I'm familiar with are flat tappet.

My command has hydraulic lifters, but others have "solid" flat tappets.

But to add a little more info - not only are the springs super weak, but their load is distributed over a big area.. the lifters in my command measure .842" which is the same size as the old small and big block Chevy v8s. In fact they look identical to a SBC lifter. The tappets in many others are similar sized or bigger (pretty sure flat head Briggs are about an inch) so they simply are not sensitive to zinc/phosphorus levels. Heck even passenger cars with stock valvetrains aren't THAT particular and they are sporting probably 5 times the spring pressure.

I had 700hours on my 17.5hp command running nothing but what PCMO I found on the shelf at the parts store. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I bought the Kohler sauce to appease my wife who took over using it

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but all small engines that I'm familiar with are flat tappet.

My command has hydraulic lifters, but others have "solid" flat tappets.

But to add a little more info - not only are the springs super weak, but their load is distributed over a big area.. the lifters in my command measure .842" which is the same size as the old small and big block Chevy v8s. In fact they look identical to a SBC lifter. The tappets in many others are similar sized or bigger (pretty sure flat head Briggs are about an inch) so they simply are not sensitive to zinc/phosphorus levels. Heck even passenger cars with stock valvetrains aren't THAT particular and they are sporting probably 5 times the spring pressure.

I had 700hours on my 17.5hp command running nothing but what PCMO I found on the shelf at the parts store. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I bought the Kohler sauce to appease my wife who took over using it
Flathead briggs are worn out after about 400hrs

No oil will save an engine from poor design and/or metallurgy and poor maintenance (like poor air filtration causing dusting), especially Briggs with their aluminum bores.
I know. The old flathead briggs or actually any aluminum bore engine only has a lifespan of about 500hrs or so. I just assumes the bore had too much wear becaise it's only aluminum.

I know. The old flathead briggs or actually any aluminum bore engine only has a lifespan of about 500hrs or so. I just assumes the bore had too much wear becaise it's only aluminum.
To be honest I'm really surprised that they last as long as they do! Say what you want about Briggs but they knew the realities of a big part of the market that they sold to and made an engine that would probably still be humming along when the mower got tossed.

Back