kohler command pro 10w30 or 10w50?

Just bought a toro turfmaster 30 with a kohler command pro cv224 engine. I'm having a hard time figuring out what weight oil it's supposed to use. I've always thought you're supposed to use 10w30 in kohler commands due to the hydraulic lifters. It seems kohler makes a pro 10w50 synthetic oil that's good for 300hrs. I aint going no 300hrs on an oil change, but anyways. The dealer I bought the mower from just filled it up with regular 10w30 SN rated oil and gave me the rest of the bottle in case I needed to add more. Opinions? Am I running the wrong oil weight?

I wouldn't use anything that wasn't rated at 40W. I use 5-40 in my machine. IMHO I think 30 is a bit thin for those machines.

@The motor guy is your machine for commercial mowing and used for more than a couple hours at a time? If so I’d consider the thicker oil. If not then think about bumping it up to a 5w40 HDEO on your next fill.

Just my $0.02
No, actually it's my backyard mower, used commercially yes, but not for long mowing times. It's jist a small mpwer I use on about 5 or 6 backyards a week with narrow gates, so it only runs 15 minutes at a time usually.

most any 5w-40 will work fine ,myself in my toro (briggs) using mobil 1 0w-40 ,seems to work fine,as it pull starts easier.

I thought the hydraulic lifters were picky about 10w30 and thicker oil causes clatter
Pretty sure yours doesn't have hyd lifters, unless it says otherwise.

Being a fan of heavier oils, I'd run a 15w40, but if run times are only going to be less than 20 minutes, then a 10w30 will do too.

I don't understand why they always advertise it. It's about the only oil you can find which carries an older spec like sj or sl
Because it's a selling point for their brand, and some people foam at the mouth for it - plus it keeps people buying from them and attached to their brand and not another company.

Back