Kohler Command 21 Running too hot? 280-300 degrees

I still think 300 is PLENTY hot. I measured mine today....30c out....2hrs run time at WOT....24hp briggs .....160f at oil filter and on clean spot of block above it.

One thing I didn’t see, unless I missed it, was the engine speed that you run. Higher engine speed will help cool the engine better than low to medium speed. At least this is true in my experiences.

L8R,
Matt

Wide Open Throttle.

the 87 seems to have cooled down the exhaust/muffler, which was in the lower 500's on the temp gun with 93, after running a full tank of 87 I saw 390-410 on the temp gun. A bit anecdotal but it was hotter out on the 87 run than the 93 I tested temps. The engine temps seemed to be about the same, though normally by the time I'm done the engine is usually smoldering where there is any any seeped oil. Not this time. Didn't feel like I was by a BBQ Grille when I lifted the hood up either.

I did see some car forums discussing EGTs and octane. One person had seen 150 degree lower EGTs at Wide Open Throttle on 87 vs 93. Lower octane and lower EGTs seem to be normal.

I honestly have no idea what you’re asking at this point. As I repeated multiple times in this thread, the octane rating in and of itself will have no effect. If the engine has a problem with preignition then a fuel with a higher octane rating will help that. But if it doesn’t and the fuel is being ignited by the spark plug, then in and of itself the octane rating between different fuels will make no difference.

Octane molecules have the same BTU and burn rate regardless of the branching. The difference comes in the resistance to preignition.

From what I know, the 93 will ignite and burn slower than a lower octane fuel.

Back