Kincardine, Ontario - BITOG get together

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
This will be a bit of a developing thread, being updated when I have time, over the course of this week. Hopefully @Rand posts some pictures as well.

We booked this week off from work for vacation and met-up with @Rand and his lovely wife in Kincardine, which is about a 3hr drive for us, so mostly within my comfort zone for travel (still in Ontario, not too far). That said, I'm still having some anxiety about travelling, thought I was dying most of the night because of some pains. I think I pulled a muscle at the cottage on the weekend fishing and I have some intermittent pain radiating out from my spine at about heart-level. Being a bit neurotic and a serial over-thinker coupled with being obsessive, well, not a great combo.

Having to reconcile with my own mortality has not, and continues to not, be easy. Having heart surgery exposed that in a very abrupt and very uncomfortable way and has resulted in an increased sensitivity to some other anxieties I have from the past. These anxieties themselves carry with them some symptoms, so there's a bit of a cascading effect that takes place and it becomes quite uncomfortable. Avoiding triggers is also difficult.

But, enough about me and my overactive imagination.

@Rand got here on Sunday, while we arrived yesterday (Tuesday) at around 4:30PM. They've already hit a couple of beaches in the area. We had dinner and then made our way down to the waterfront and over to watch and listen to the piper play as the sun went down. We then made our way out on the pier where we saw some teens jumping off into Lake Huron and a sailboat moored on the calm side of the small breakwater with swimmers in the water, perhaps doing some diving?

Today, we are doing the tour of Bruce Nuclear. This will be my 2nd time, but they've significantly upgraded their visitor centre, so I'm keen to see what that entailed.

For now, here's a pic of Rand on the pier with the lights from Bruce B in the background:
IMG_3839.jpg

This will be a bit of a developing thread, being updated when I have time, over the course of this week. Hopefully @Rand posts some pictures as well.

We booked this week off from work for vacation and met-up with @Rand and his lovely wife in Kincardine, which is about a 3hr drive for us, so mostly within my comfort zone for travel (still in Ontario, not too far). That said, I'm still having some anxiety about travelling, thought I was dying most of the night because of some pains. I think I pulled a muscle at the cottage on the weekend fishing and I have some intermittent pain radiating out from my spine at about heart-level. Being a bit neurotic and a serial over-thinker coupled with being obsessive, well, not a great combo.

Having to reconcile with my own mortality has not, and continues to not, be easy. Having heart surgery exposed that in a very abrupt and very uncomfortable way and has resulted in an increased sensitivity to some other anxieties I have from the past. These anxieties themselves carry with them some symptoms, so there's a bit of a cascading effect that takes place and it becomes quite uncomfortable. Avoiding triggers is also difficult.

But, enough about me and my overactive imagination.

@Rand got here on Sunday, while we arrived yesterday (Tuesday) at around 4:30PM. They've already hit a couple of beaches in the area. We had dinner and then made our way down to the waterfront and over to watch and listen to the piper play as the sun went down. We then made our way out on the pier where we saw some teens jumping off into Lake Huron and a sailboat moored on the calm side of the small breakwater with swimmers in the water, perhaps doing some diving?

Today, we are doing the tour of Bruce Nuclear. This will be my 2nd time, but they've significantly upgraded their visitor centre, so I'm keen to see what that entailed.

For now, here's a pic of Rand on the pier with the lights from Bruce B in the background:
View attachment 113867
Wow - knew you had treatments - somehow missed the severity …
Enjoy the beach - one thing my many skin cancers has taught me is to flip the hours to arrive late day - and sit under a canopy or vehicle shade to enjoy the wind, waves, and many birds …

Last edited:
Our in-laws moved there and the wife's sister lives there. Her husband works at the Bruce. This little town is a bit of a hidden gem in Ontario. we enjoyed a meal on the patio at the Bruce restaurant when we were there a few weeks back for my wife's b-day.

Saturday night pipe band is an awesome feature as well!

just my $0.02

A few years ago we camped at Inverhuron Provincial Park. Couldn't sleep at all because all you could here were the turbines from the power plant. Do not recommend.

We decided since we were in the area we would go to the power plant for a tour. We drove to the power plant and as we were coming through the parking lot, a couple very heavily armed gentleman stepped out in front of us. Stopped the car, they asked very gruffly and abruptly what we were doing. Told them we were coming for the tour. He rolled his eyes and told us the visitor centre was back up the hill.

After getting to the visitor centre and visiting the restroom to clean out my drawers, enjoyed the rest of the visitor centre.

A few years ago we camped at Inverhuron Provincial Park. Couldn't sleep at all because all you could here were the turbines from the power plant. Do not recommend.

We decided since we were in the area we would go to the power plant for a tour. We drove to the power plant and as we were coming through the parking lot, a couple very heavily armed gentleman stepped out in front of us. Stopped the car, they asked very gruffly and abruptly what we were doing. Told them we were coming for the tour. He rolled his eyes and told us the visitor centre was back up the hill.

After getting to the visitor centre and visiting the restroom to clean out my drawers, enjoyed the rest of the visitor centre.
Question:

Which camp ground were you at? 304 is REALLY close to Bruce B, and while I found the plant really quiet during the bus tour, I imagine at night, it's got a decent hum to it. The wind turbines also make noise, but they are mostly more north.

The beach is quite a bit further south (Inverhuron bay), we couldn't hear the plant at all.
Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 9.13.58 PM.jpg

Question:

Which camp ground were you at? 304 is REALLY close to Bruce B, and while I found the plant really quiet during the bus tour, I imagine at night, it's got a decent hum to it. The wind turbines also make noise, but they are mostly more north.

The beach is quite a bit further south (Inverhuron bay), we couldn't hear the plant at all.

Gunn Point site #49. During the day, I didn't notice any noise what so ever. At night when everything is really quiet, you can really hear it.

It was still really neat to camp there. That campground was opened in the 1950's and was shut down in the 70's because of the proximity to the heavy water plant. It was re-opened in the mid 2000's I think, due to the heavy water plant being decommissioned.

Gunn Point site #49. During the day, I didn't notice any noise what so ever. At night when everything is really quiet, you can really hear it.

It was still really neat to camp there. That campground was opened in the 1950's and was shut down in the 70's because of the proximity to the heavy water plant. It was re-opened in the mid 2000's I think, due to the heavy water plant being decommissioned.
Weird that it would be the heavy water plants, as they were located directly between Bruce A and B.

Back