Kim Chi ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always a Bitoger who knows something about anything. Any one have any recommendations about ways to enjoy kim chi besides just eating it out of the jar?? I'd appreciate any input from folks. Searching the internet brought minimal help for me as far as practical ideas. Thanks-Bill

My mother in law is Korean and she makes a kim chi pancake that is delicious with a spicy soy sauce.

My wife eats it along with just about any Korean dish she'll have.

When I was stationed in Korea, either straight like it is or with rice in the same bite. Didn't care for the soup.
I've seen when they make it, they can make some pretty large batches of the stuff. But it's like several getting together to make and split the batch.

I love it just plain and cold. Very healthy if it is biologically active...

Korean here. Ask away!

Eating kimchi straight is actually a foreign idea to me. At least eat it with rice or as part of a pancake (bu chin gae) like the other poster stated.

The general idea is balancing flavors and most kimchi is simply too strong on the palette to consume alone, although there is nothing wrong with this.

Thanks for the replies. I got my first jar yesterday after reading alot about it, and I'm trying to decide if it is a vegetable, a salad, or a condiment, and I guess it is all of these. I tried it as a seperate dish, and tried it with a baked chicken dish we had last night and it worked well for me as both. The rice suggestion is one I've seen several places, also with fried rice. I appreciate the comments and thanks to you all. Bill

Omg kimchi pancake I haven't had that since my first job!

Kimchi and Kalbi BBQ. Perfect match.

Last edited:
For some reason- Kimchi goes great with rice and any form of sausage or pork product. I grew up eating kimchi with spam, keilbasa, smoked sausage and any other kind of meat.

oh one more thing, get some breath mints or gum for afterwards cause your breath will be kickin. And be warned the noxious fumes that may exit the other end
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tdpark
For some reason- Kimchi goes great with rice and any form of sausage or pork product. I grew up eating kimchi with spam, keilbasa, smoked sausage and any other kind of meat.

oh one more thing, get some breath mints or gum for afterwards cause your breath will be kickin. And be warned the noxious fumes that may exit the other end
grin.gif

I didn't worry about mints or gum - just made sure I kept several wads of toilet paper in my possession at all times.

Originally Posted By: wilnis
Thanks for the replies. I got my first jar yesterday after reading alot about it, and I'm trying to decide if it is a vegetable, a salad, or a condiment, and I guess it is all of these. I tried it as a seperate dish, and tried it with a baked chicken dish we had last night and it worked well for me as both. The rice suggestion is one I've seen several places, also with fried rice. I appreciate the comments and thanks to you all. Bill

It's a side dish (banchan) unless it is used for stew (jjigae) in which case it serves as a soup base. But please do experiment. I have a cousin who eats kimchi with macaroni and cheese and other odd combinations. It can also be an ingredient like in kimchi buchingae (Korean pancake).

Sort of a perspective thing I suppose. If you've always seen a hammer as a hammer, then it's hard to not see it as a hammer.

Cooking with Kimchi

As I understand it from a book I saw in the shelf at Osan AB when I did my year in Korea, there are about 200 different kimchi's. The ones I tried were pretty bad, but I was completely ignorant about it and wasn't very explorative after I threw out the samples. I'm sure there's some good stuff out there somewhere.

I make my own saurkraut, kimchi isn't all that different in theory...

Quote:
For some reason- Kimchi goes great with rice and any form of sausage or pork product.

Probably because the acid cuts the fat of the pork for a nice balance.

I've had it in sushi rolls at a local Korean restaurant. Amazing. It's my new favorite roll.

I also like the stew, but minus the tofu. Can't stand that stuff.

I previously work for a small Korean company, and the policy was that if you are eating kimchi at work, eat it outdoor. 20 people all eating kimchi for lunch in the break room can be quite potent.

I always eat it by itself and found it too strong, now I know why. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back