Kids new truck.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Kid wrecked his truck about 5 months ago. I won't get into details here. No one was hurt but him, his pride and one very clean GMT400. I will say he was by himself no drugs or alcohol, just the over confidence of being 17. I am pretty sure he learned his lesson. I am just happy to have him alive. I did it myself back then too. My other child will be driving the Buick come May.
So he had enough saved up to buy a 2003 2500HD Duramax. Our first diesel. 217,000 miles maintenance records from 25,000 to now. 2 owners. Fully loaded 11,500. I like it more than I should. SOLID truck runs perfect.
FB_IMG_1680229498376.jpg

FB_IMG_1680229509535.jpg

FB_IMG_1680229516088.jpg

Glad he's OK. We all go through that 1st wreck. Nice truck; I couldn't afford to feed it!
I told him but he makes about 2000 bucks a month. School in the morning, welding in the afternoon. Works on base in the evening at the commissary stocking selves for get this...24 bucks an hour. I should quit and work for him... We figure it we be only slight more than having to feed a 97 Vortec 350...

That's a solid truck. Do you know if the injectors have been replaced? If not, watch the crankcase oil level close. We have a 2002 with 70,000 miles that suffered a leaking injector at about 60,000 miles and dumped a gallon of fuel in the oil in short order.
Injectors were done once.
He is saving up just incase. I thought most failed before 100,000

School in the morning, welding in the afternoon. Works on base in the evening at the commissary stocking selves for get this...24 bucks an hour
I'm glad you followed up with this. A good work ethic is an excellent foundation for almost any direction taken. My adult nurse daughter went many directions over many years - I'm proud as heck that she is following her own path of choice, so different than mine, except for the work ethic thing.

Glad your son is o.k.. I sometimes wonder how we survive our teens and early adult lives.

I told him but he makes about 2000 bucks a month. School in the morning, welding in the afternoon. Works on base in the evening at the commissary stocking selves for get this...24 bucks an hour. I should quit and work for him... We figure it we be only slight more than having to feed a 97 Vortec 350...
Sounds like he’s not lazy which is great. So many young ones complain but do nothing nowadays. Besides having stuff probably keeps him motivated to keep the money flowing

Regardless of how or why the wreck happened, the fact that he came out of it ok is all that matters. Vehicles can be replaced, a life can’t. I’m glad that he’s ok and able to move on from it, possibly with a great lesson learned.
With that said, that is a beautiful truck! I really like the look of that generation of GM trucks. 👍

Glad he is OK. That is the most important thing.

Gorgeous truck, Sierra HD in the GMT800 variant look good! That grille/bumper filler panel make them look tough. Is the paint code/color 926L or Silver Birch Metallic? If so that is the same paint color as my Tahoe. Tough to tell as some of the GM tans through these years could be like 3-4 different colors.

This is probably an 18k truck in Western New York.

Glad he is OK. That is the most important thing.

Gorgeous truck, Sierra HD in the GMT800 variant look good! That grille/bumper filler panel make them look tough. Is the paint code/color 926L or Silver Birch Metallic? If so that is the same paint color as my Tahoe. Tough to tell as some of the GM tans through these years could be like 3-4 different colors.

This is probably an 18k truck in Western New York.

Looks SBM....Same color as my '06 2500HD Duramax, Like metallic silver with a brown/tan tint to it.

Injectors were done once.
He is saving up just incase. I thought most failed before 100,000

Not a question of IF, But a question of WHEN! I can always tell when a LB7 is starting to need injectors.....Sounds like the injection timing is too advanced. Hazy exhaust is another telling sign.

Keep the tuning stock & replace the injectors before full meltdown mode & the LB7 is a really good engine!

Rebuilding the Fuel Filter Head & adding a Lift Pump with filters (FASS, AirDog) is a good idea.

The sump filter on 5 speed Allison 1000's like to fall into the bottom of the pan, The Range Switch on the side of the Trans is a common failure.

Not a question of IF, But a question of WHEN! I can always tell when a LB7 is starting to need injectors.....Sounds like the injection timing is too advanced. Hazy exhaust is another telling sign.

Keep the tuning stock & replace the injectors before full meltdown mode & the LB7 is a really good engine!

Rebuilding the Fuel Filter Head & adding a Lift Pump with filters (FASS, AirDog) is a good idea.

The sump filter on 5 speed Allison 1000's like to fall into the bottom of the pan, The Range Switch on the side of the Trans is a common failure.
So I know they were done once, not sure the mileage. No smoke from the exhaust. I assume they have to be done more than once over their lifetime but I am not sure. Truck is bone stock, even has the stock radio.
Just about 5,000 miles ago a large service at the dealer.
All fluids replaced, new fuel filter. Transmission service was done regularly (every 30,000ish miles). It has had 8000ish mile oil changes with the fuel filter done at each oil change.

+1 this is fantastic advice....

Did a 300 mile round trip with on Saturday, it ran perfect. We need to fix 2 things the climate control and the steering linkage/bearing clunks. Typical issues on this style truck. I can't believe how nice it actually is. In slightly mixed driving I hand calculated 19 mpg. Way better than my 17 1 ton or his old 350 Vortec. I think we may have found a good one. No smoke, no extra oil, no oil usage in the 1200 miles we have put on it. Thing that blows my mind is no leaks. It was certainly well maintained.

Back