KIA Rio + Mitsubishi Mirage get the boot ...

Rio was not awful however mirage never a decent offering that has aged. I am curious what under the hood looks like on an older mirage, to cut costs they did not paint the engine bay 😂

Because no one wants them in the US.

If you want a cheap new car at least get a Versa. Yes you get a questioable CVT but at least there is support for the vehicle, parts are available, dealers everywhere. Not so with Mitsubishi. Parts are hard to come by and dealers only exist here and there and survive off used car sales of other brand cars as far as I can tell. As for the Rio, I don't know, the only person I ever met who actually owned one had to add almost as much oil to that thing as they did gas - it burned as much as my aunt's 01 Corolla did towards the end haha.

Not surprising. No one in the USA wants small cars, and TBH small cars haven't done much better on mpg their slightly larger cousins. Not that they are fairing much better on the sales front. Writing is on the wall, sales aren't there.

I've wondered a bit about my recent sedan purchase, if I shouldn't have gone CUV. More utility. But I wouldn't be getting 40mp either, not at this price point. Not to worry, looks like next time around I won't have a choice in the matter...

many decent sized sedans are fairly priced UNLESS you load them with unnecessary "trinkets". girlfriends roomy 18 0ptima gets 35 plus on highway + mid 20 locally depending on where she drives + its peppy + used NO oil

Not surprised. And honestly, not much lost here. I can count on one hand the number of newer Mirages or Rios I've seen this year.
I drive through the city of Rome NY a lot and 1/3 of the vehicles there are Mirages.

But the cost of them has been creeping up. It's not the cheapest car. There are cars that get similar or better MPG for the price. I can see why the Mirage is going to go away.

Can't spend $18,500+ for a MIRAGE or KIA Rio . Might as well step up to a new COROLLA and CIVIC sedan / hatch for $23,000+ which will keep their book value better than a MIRAGE . The Mirage G4 skips rear folding ( split ) back seats and less lining in the trunk . That should be basic like most other small sedans such as the RIO sedan , etc..

Last edited:
One of every three? Somehow I doubt that. That's a REAL Mirage!

Perhaps a ship loaded with Mirages ran aground there and the townsfolk have been driving them ever since?

It's a VERY depressed area in the rust belt. There aren't many good used vehicles left. No one had any money to buy new cars in the 90s and 00s, but there's a dealer that will finance you a Mirage for 10 years. A lot of people took that "offer"

Can't spend $18,500+ for a MIRAGE or KIA Rio . Might as well step up to a new COROLLA and CIVIC sedan / hatch for $23,000+ which will keep their book value better than a MIRAGE . The Mirage G4 skips rear folding ( split ) back seats . That should be basic like most other small sedans such as the RIO sedan , etc..
Good luck finding that 23k Corolla or Civic. My son recently bought a base Rio for under 20K total. Really nice little car and he's very happy with it after 6 months. I hope to buy it from him in a few years if he gets tired of it.

Have owned the '18 Accent SE since early fall of '18 . It was bought new for under $16,000 . The car has the 1.6 Ltr. (G.D.I.) with the 6 speed auto that is averaging over 39 m.p.g. calculated since new off the lot . The ACCENT ( RIO ) sedan has a better lined trunk and 60/40 rear fold down seats . The '20 RIO - '23 ( '20 - '22 ACCENT ) now has a newly designed 1.6 Ltr. with a C.V.T..

Good luck finding that 23k Corolla or Civic.
I think what you do is, plunk down some money and buy before it hits the lot. I called one dealership about a listing, if it was available. "Yes, it's available, and in transit." Not quite my definition of "available" but that's what it is.

I want to say, at least the dealers I've seen in NH, the Corolla's were not getting ADM. They don't need to: they'll sell, and quickly, at MSRP. Don't want to pay? next in line please. Not that it matters: whatever you agree to, the guy on the backend (the F&I guy) is up next. On my last purchase, I think the middle of the road option of the 5 packages he was going to show me was only another $200 per month. On a 5 year loan. Lemme think about that one... When I declined, next up guy came in, offered to reduce down what I had already negotiated, like it was no big deal. I'm sure it wasn't, here was where I was really cutting into their margin.

The Accent I owned for a short time was a great car. Every bit well put together as my current Sonata and in many respects, more endearing.

The ouster of the RIO, basically an Accent twin does not surprise me since the Accent's exit from the US market a year earlier. This is not a good thing for the average consumer looking for new, good transportation in a budget friendly automobile. My Accent was below $20k.

What people misunderstand about the mirage is that is was actually a really good little vehicle, but it was designed for a certain type of buyer. Really reliable, efficient and cheap to own.

Rio/Accent are great cars (Yup we have 2). I've gotten up to 48mpg calculated on a longer highway blast. It's the most efficient car I've owned real world. No non-hybrid will match it.

In the end weather you like them or not small cars going away just continues to drive up the entry point of new car buying. Pushing more and more people out of the market. This trend really can't continue forever.

I’m sorry to see these little cars go….from the US market. Maybe not that safe, but good MPG’s and can hold 4-5 people
There are a lot of newer Mirages around here.

Best fuel economy of a non-hybrid, easy to park, cheap and easy to fix.

Definitely a dedicated following (likely ex-Geo metro owners)

Before the pandemic you could buy brand new base models for $9999 (MSRP didn’t matter)
The doubling of the real transaction price probably did them in.

I think either model would have sold a lot more in today's market if they were readily available in all areas.

Agreed, nearest dealer is 250 miles away and still a lot of people with these cars, so much for the warranty

Last edited:
Back