Kia Niro engine oil specification confusion

The OEM filter thing is long dead in reality for Hyundai/Kia but they won't let it die. Since their filters are decent quality and reasonably priced, it won't hurt to use them while under warranty.

While you are at the dealer buying filters, ask for the Kia authorized 0w20 A5 oil which you'd also like to purchase. Then take photographs of the blank stares you'll get.

When I had Hyundai.....OEM oil filter was Mahle with Hyundai logo on it.....I think I have a post with pictures somewhere here on BITOG!

EDIT: gone with the wind.....I posted that on a previous BITOG forum.....

Last edited:
I use 5W-30 on all of my South Korean machines which as you can see in the manual is acceptable and will keep your warranty. If you use pretty much any name brand synthetic or even the SuperTech/Kirkland (inexpensive..about $14/5qts) oil they all meet Hyundai/Kia requirements and you would have zero warranty issues. The 20W is purely a method for the automaker to push for that last little bit of fuel economy so that they hit CAFE standards. Nothing wrong with that but I have a very hard time seeing a real-world difference in MPG between a 20W & 30W oil. The heavier buys you a little extra margin for wear protection, the 20W a little extra margin for fuel economy. Pick your poison because either will work just fine.

I use only Hyundai-Kia oil filters. As others have said they are inexpensive, good quality and you just will never have an issue with them. Plus, I bought a specialized oil wrench that slips over the end of the filter and makes for easy on/off for oil changes. It doesn't fit over non-OEM filters the same so ease of use comes into play for me too.

I use 5W-30 on all of my South Korean machines which as you can see in the manual is acceptable and will keep your warranty. If you use pretty much any name brand synthetic or even the SuperTech/Kirkland (inexpensive..about $14/5qts) oil they all meet Hyundai/Kia requirements and you would have zero warranty issues. The 20W is purely a method for the automaker to push for that last little bit of fuel economy so that they hit CAFE standards. Nothing wrong with that but I have a very hard time seeing a real-world difference in MPG between a 20W & 30W oil. The heavier buys you a little extra margin for wear protection, the 20W a little extra margin for fuel economy. Pick your poison because either will work just fine.

I use only Hyundai-Kia oil filters. As others have said they are inexpensive, good quality and you just will never have an issue with them. Plus, I bought a specialized oil wrench that slips over the end of the filter and makes for easy on/off for oil changes. It doesn't fit over non-OEM filters the same so ease of use comes into play for me too.

The W does not stand for weight.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I suppose I might be overthinking it, but what the manual is stating has forced me down this rabbit hole to ensure full compliance - and a valid warranty claim, if necessary down the road. I hope to stick with a plan once I figure out the best option - so sales to get the absolute best price each time is not likely to be in the cards for me.

It is almost true that the A5 and 0w20 is impossible to find, but there is at least one exception to the rule:
https://www.redlineoil.com/0w20-motor-oil

So the Redline 0w20 fetches $50 per gallon... and the PUP 5w30 comes in at half that price. I'm sure that the Redline is great stuff designed for these smaller vehicles - but not sure the price difference is worth it. If nothing else, it seems PUP provides a bit better summer heat-related protection.
You still haven't found it. The Redline oil is recommended for that application but it is not ACEA A5/B5.

Just ask the dealer what oil they use.
Whatever cheap junky bulk 5W30 they can get super cheap, just like the rest of them! Engine failure with dealership changes? Bad manufacturing! With customer oil changes? It's the bad oil the customer was using! People wonder why I don't like H/K vehicles very much...

I think he means the "W" stands for winter, i.e. the oil's pumpability/thickness in cold temperatures. Pumps like a 5 weight cold, then a 30 weight hot, therefore "5W30".
I know what he means...... Hyundai gives you the first six oil changes on the house now. They say "Three years of free maintenance" which translates to six oil changes with that cheap bulk oil and six tire rotations. Of course, that gives them the chance to sell you something extra for six visits too.

But you can always give them a jug of oil to use. Cost you an extra $15 to have them feed your beast whatever flavor you can get at Walmart. I don't see any evidence that their cheap bulk oil doesn't work just the same.

I know what he means...... Hyundai gives you the first six oil changes on the house now. They say "Three years of free maintenance" which translates to six oil changes with that cheap bulk oil and six tire rotations. Of course, that gives them the chance to sell you something extra for six visits too.

But you can always give them a jug of oil to use. Cost you an extra $15 to have them feed your beast whatever flavor you can get at Walmart. I don't see any evidence that their cheap bulk oil doesn't work just the same.
Most places don’t allow you to bring your own oil. At my old shop we couldn’t install anything that the customer brought we told them it was for insurance purposes but really it was so we could make money on the parts.

Regular Mobil 1 5W30 is rated ACEA A5/B5.

Looking at the PDF product data sheet for Pennzoil Platinum (PP) and PUP (Ultra) 5W30, it appears to only meet the older 2012 A5/B5 spec, and not the 2016 update. Check this (maybe I missed it), as IMO it doesn’t really count if it’s not the most recent version of A5/B5, and according to ACEA it shouldn’t even be claimed.

I would go with Mobil1 ESP or Shell ECT...5w30....0w30...

They are both ACEA C2/C3....C2 for fuel economy....C3 for protection....

Most places don’t allow you to bring your own oil. At my old shop we couldn’t install anything that the customer brought we told them it was for insurance purposes but really it was so we could make money on the parts.
I wouldn't visit such places but I understand. Everyone has to make a buck but I'd at least be honest about it. I tell my customers hey.... I'm going to get my pound of flesh out of you one way or the other.

Back