Kia Niro engine oil specification confusion

The oil gets thinner as it warms up
Yes it does.

But "Weight" doesn't mean a specific viscosity at a specific temperature.

Actually, it doesn't meant anything.

The correct term is "Grade"

Guys, you gotta STOP using "Weight" or we will always have the Multigrade "W"inter confusion.

A 5W30 performs like a 5W monograde when Cold**, then like an SAE 30 grade when HOT ( KV100 min/max).

What happens at KV40 is quite variable among brands and that is still "fever temperature"

**At least to CCS and or MRV test requirements for oil grade classification.

Yes it does.

But "Weight" doesn't mean a specific viscosity at a specific temperature.

Actually, it doesn't meant anything.

The correct term is "Grade"

Guys, you gotta STOP using "Weight" or we will always have the Multigrade "W"inter confusion.

A 5W30 performs like a 5W monograde when Cold**, then like an SAE 30 grade when HOT ( KV100 min/max).

What happens at KV40 is quite variable among brands and that is still "fever temperature"

**At least to CCS and or MRV test requirements for oil grade classification.
What's a "5W monograde" oil? I don't see that designation in SAE J300.

Nothing that's quite so misunderstood as what the winter rating means, and what it does not.

I know what he means...... Hyundai gives you the first six oil changes on the house now. They say "Three years of free maintenance" which translates to six oil changes with that cheap bulk oil and six tire rotations. Of course, that gives them the chance to sell you something extra for six visits too.

But you can always give them a jug of oil to use. Cost you an extra $15 to have them feed your beast whatever flavor you can get at Walmart. I don't see any evidence that their cheap bulk oil doesn't work just the same.
I just cut the interval in half, change via dipstick sucker, refill with Stupertech 5w-30. Then let them service at 7500, where they change the filter and rotate tires. I sleep better ag night now.

What's a "5W monograde" oil? I don't see that designation in SAE J300.

Nothing that's quite so misunderstood as what the winter rating means, and what it does not.
The are NO Engine applications that I am aware of, It was a moot argument for illustrative purposes within this discussion. And sorrowfully likely added to more confusion than less.
5W is more often seen in Motorcycle Fork oil and possibly some Hydraulic oils, though I'm more familiar with SAE 10W Hydraulic oils. The MRV spec is into play when you add the W rating to a 5, 10, 20 or 25 SAE Grade oil providing anti-waxing or gelling in "Winter" environments. Since there is no SAE measurement for viscosity at 32F/0C then it is true that the we cannnot ascertain though specification that a 5W20 would indeed approach an SAE "5W" at the freezing point - or thereabouts; then as a further differentiator, the Multigrade would have the benefit of it's associated higher operating grade HTHS.

I think the old inferred transferrability between Multigrade W designations and their SAE monograde equivalents
Has long been a point of confusion, as is the often discussed inappropriate transposition of terms "winter" and "weight"