kia engine issues...really serious or overinflated?

An owner of a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe, Jasmine Jewell, submitted the petition to the NHTSA. In her letter, Jewell recounts the engine failure of her SUV at 61,413 miles. Despite reaching out to four Hyundai dealerships in Rhode Island, she discovered they were all inundated with vehicles needing engine replacements.

Consequently, she had to tow her vehicle to a dealer in Massachusetts, where she was promptly informed that a new engine was necessary. The quoted cost for a replacement was $19,997, excluding labor charges

$20,000? That can't be right. I mean maybe it is. H/K aside I have seen guys have brand new with warranty 400HP LS based engines put in their Caprice with everything for under 10,000. What did an independent shop say? I would love to see the break down of that bill.

My son had a 15 Santa Fe w/2.4 the engine blew at 108000 miles Hyundai covered it under warranty. It seems there was an extension on the warranty. Also the service mgr told him on avg they replace 8 engines a week…. Holy Cow. He sold the car as soon as it was repaired. On a side note a friend has had his 3 Elantra broken into 2 ea.

I hope not. I threw a lot of money down on Telluride better last.
My suggestion: Use a robust synthetic oil, change at 5000 mile intervals. Consider researching the oil you use carefully, making sure it has a high HTHS, is not prone to viscosity loss via shear, and offers sufficient operational viscosity at your operational temperatures. Put another way, consider some of the more expensive choices, even within the recommended viscosity range.

The idea that H/K uses the high quality metals and/or "DLC/friction coated or hardened" internal engine parts that other manufacturers use when they employ today's oils, is incorrect.

My suggestion: Use a robust synthetic oil, change at 5000 mile intervals. Consider researching the oil you use carefully, making sure it has a high HTHS, is not prone to viscosity loss via shear, and offers sufficient operational viscosity at your operational temperatures. Put another way, consider some of the more expensive choices, even within the recommended viscosity range.

The idea that H/K uses the high quality metals and/or "DLC/friction coated or hardened" internal engine parts that other manufacturers use when they employ today's oils, is incorrect.
Quaker State Euro is the cheapest oil i can find supposedly with 3.5 hths and it says meets bmw LL01, Porsche a40, vw (502 and 505 i think)

I have QS euro 5w40 in my Mitsubishi right now, and can confirm it is oil and the engine runs. I don't notice anything different from the 10w30 i ran previously.

I think I bought 5 qts for $26 or something.

The new ones aren't cheap at all, in fact they're as expensive now as the top Japanese makes. I'd still take a Toyota/Honda/Mazda any day over either of the Korean makes...
Our last Honda was the biggest POS we ever had.......
According to many many others it's many problems are very common.

Honda is not what it used to be.

Honda and Toyota have their issues............BUT not at this level and the amount of stoved up engines is negligible.
Go to odyssey club.....every week 3-5 new people come on asking for advice because they just paid 4k for new piston rings because the vcm system caused the engine to eat itself.

Honda is doing nothing for anyone....it's a known issue.....among many others.
There was a settled class action suit for the gen 3 ody for the exact same reasons.
Honda is a shell of a company.

Go to odyssey club.....every week 3-5 new people come on asking for advice because they just paid 4k for new piston rings because the vcm system caused the engine to eat itself.

There was a settled class action suit for the gen 3 ody for the exact same reasons.
I would buy an Odyssey if I wanted a minivan. Easy to work on, and vcm is easily disabled. I also see quite a few of these vcm hondas with 200k+ miles and they still run good and don't burn oil. I think they just need driven hard enough to keep the vcm from being always on.

Perfect example. The base 3.5L V6 is an EXCELLENT engine. Won't randomly poop the bed. Stove clean up. Yeah the VCM was not a genius move, but smart people were fine with it.

Toyota practically invented sludge. Ugg. BUT again people figured that out a long time ago.

KIA death engines continue their march.....let's hope it is solved.

IMO many engines are not what they once were. Few rock solid new power plants out there it seems. I blame it on the rush to achieve better mileage.
That's because many auto makers are trying to make a 1.5 liter engine do the job of a V-8...

Perfect example. The base 3.5L V6 is an EXCELLENT engine. Won't randomly poop the bed. Stove clean up. Yeah the VCM was not a genius move, but smart people were fine with it.

Toyota practically invented sludge. Ugg. BUT again people figured that out a long time ago.

KIA death engines continue their march.....let's hope it is solved.
My problem with the 3.5 is the stupid timing belt...it should have a chain...and it's a bi*** to change...

My problem with the 3.5 is the stupid timing belt...it should have a chain...and it's a bi*** to change...
Um you have never done a vw diesel timing belt if you think the honda is difficult. You don't need special tools for the Honda.
I can do an Odyssey timing belt in like 7 hours, including water pump and pulley replacement.

Hyun/Kia is very polarizing on this board. It’s unlikely that you’ll get much more than anecdotal evidence. The thing to know about Hyun/Kia: the 2.4L were not great engines.
Actually I think the 2.4 was a decent engine before 2011. I think that year also correlates to it going GDI but IDK if that's why they went downhill or if it was the casting issue (leaving swarf in the blocks at the factory IIRC.)

Our 2008 Elantra was a very solid car but I'd avoid H/K until they straighten out their issues.

Back