Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting

Originally Posted by SHOZ
Here is the "healthy" food pyramid and the Keto pyramid. Quite different. It's like the food/medical/government have been pushing bad eating habits. 80% of the food in a grocery store are off limits to the Keto diet.

[Linked Image]

The government's old pyramid isn't founded in science. One nutritionist (I don't think he was even a nutritionist) decades ago said "fat makes people fat" (see: the McGovern report) and despite several studies that disproved that theory, the government took it and ran with it. Ever since, obesity has skyrocketed and diabetes is rampant. Our bodies were never designed to live on a diet of wheat and corn.

Check out a documentary on Netflix called The Magic Pill. It goes very indepth into this.

This thread is turning into an echo chamber for those who keep posting in it. Any diet will work in the short term if you follow it, but this particular one has a bunch of negatives too. Like heart disease, constipation, potential liver and kidney problems, etc.

https://www.endocrineweb.com/news/d...d-bad-being-ketosis-good-way-lose-weight

https://www.health.com/weight-loss/keto-diet-side-effects

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/what-is-ketosis#1

https://www.everydayhealth.com/ketogenic-diet/diet/keto-diet-dangers-you-need-know/

Well if you don't want to read of others experience, don't....

I've had weight problems for years and tried many times to drop weight. I did lose 50 lbs when I quit drinking beer a few years ago and then got stuck.

But what was really eye opening was my high blood sugar level and that is way I got on Keto and use it to control it without medication.

Yes limiting calories in is a goal. But by far Keto is the best way to remove fat and a lot of it in a short time. It will be interesting to see where I level out at weight wise using a blood sugar average as a goal.

Keto does not mean cardiovascular disease. Some speculate it will help remove plaque built up with long term use.

Keto does not mean cardiovascular disease. Some speculate it will help remove plaque built up with long term use.

Ironically, the founder of Atkins died of a cardiac issue, and an autopsy was refused. n= 1 there, but still.

If you think slamming 90g of animal and other fat per day is a good idea...

A balanced approach is usually the best approach when it comes to operating machinery, and the human body qualifies.

This study only reached out to 24 weeks. Something I consider VERY SHORT TERM, but did show Keto was positive to that point:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

My impression is that past the weight loss phase, Keto is a negative. Until ideal or optimal body composition is attained, I think the positives outweigh the negatives. AFter that...moderation.

Further reading: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5452247/

My method has basically been "Flip the food pyramid and insert the "fats" into the mid-section of it".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Ironically, the founder of Atkins died of a cardiac issue, and an autopsy was refused. n= 1 there, but still.

A balanced approach is usually the best approach when it comes to operating machinery, and the human body qualifies.

This study only reached out to 24 weeks. Something I consider VERY SHORT TERM, but did show Keto was positive to that point:

My impression is that past the weight loss phase, Keto is a negative. Until ideal or optimal body composition is attained, I think the positives outweigh the negatives. AFter that...moderation.

My method has basically been "Flip the food pyramid and insert the "fats" into the mid-section of it".

So you don't think the keto diet is a good way to reduce weight and control insulin? I was on a government approved low fat high carb diet my whole life. Ended up obese and very high blood sugar levels.

Originally Posted by Ws6

So you don't think the keto diet is a good way to reduce weight and control insulin? I was on a government approved low fat high carb diet my whole life. Ended up obese and very high blood sugar levels.

I do not think it is a healthy long-term lifestyle. To get yourself in shape? it works very well. I used it to cut 5% body fat in 6 weeks while maintaining my lifts and muscle mass. You ate an extreme diet, and now you're going to another extreme diet...moderation is key, IMO.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I do not think it is a healthy long-term lifestyle. To get yourself in shape? it works very well. I used it to cut 5% body fat in 6 weeks while maintaining my lifts and muscle mass. You ate an extreme diet, and now you're going to another extreme diet...moderation is key, IMO.

And that is exactly what I am using it for. My weight loss low carb diet was set at 30 grams of carbs a day. I did not follow this exactly. I did not weigh my food at all. I did quit using anything with more than 2% carb (based on a 300 gram a day) per serving. If my blood sugar is high before a meal (>130) I don't eat.

Obviously if you are using ketosis to loose body fat content, avoid fats is still a good idea.

And yes realizing that the food ingested to just maintain 'normal' weight and bodily function, and limiting it to those amounts is quite the mental challenge.

Originally Posted by Ws6

And that is exactly what I am using it for. My weight loss low carb diet was set at 30 grams of carbs a day. I did not follow this exactly. I did not weigh my food at all. I did quit using anything with more than 2% carb (based on a 300 gram a day) per serving. If my blood sugar is high before a meal (>130) I don't eat.

Obviously if you are using ketosis to loose body fat content, avoid fats is still a good idea.

And yes realizing that the food ingested to just maintain 'normal' weight and bodily function, and limiting it to those amounts is quite the mental challenge.

My Keto diet consisted of about 90g of fat and 200g of protein per day. Carbs were kept under 5g. If you're going to move weight, you need fat for fuel. I went from around 200# to 193# and from 17% to 12% body fat while gaining about 2.8# lean body mass, and maintaining my lifts. 6 weeks. It was a good quick cut without muscle loss.

Last edited:
You have to watch the fats that you eat. Keep down saturated and trans fats. Have more unsaturated fats. Avocados, nuts, eggs, and fish are my staples for healthy fat sources. I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, and beef as well. I usually trim the fat off, but make it back up with a light coating of olive oil for cooking and flavor.

Lunch for today is cubed chicken mixed with cuts of onion and bell pepper, seared in a pan, and seasoned with garlic powder and black pepper. Simple, cheap, and healthy.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
You have to watch the fats that you eat. Keep down saturated and trans fats. Have more unsaturated fats. Avocados, nuts, eggs, and fish are my staples for healthy fat sources. I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, and beef as well. I usually trim the fat off, but make it back up with a light coating of olive oil for cooking and flavor.

Lunch for today is cubed chicken mixed with cuts of onion and bell pepper, seared in a pan, and seasoned with garlic powder and black pepper. Simple, cheap, and healthy.

How many calories per day are you hitting?

Originally Posted by Ws6

1800-2000 calories over 4-5 small meals.

Originally Posted by Ws6

1800-2000 calories over 4-5 small meals.

I shot for around 1600/day 2 days, and the 3rd day about 900 a day, and then a junk-food re-feed for 4 hours at the end of the third day. Kept me from killing my muscle mass and dropping lifts.

But the blood test came back great. Only thing out of line was cholesterol a bit over 200 and the LDLs a bit higher too. Triglycerides were at 76 which is an all time low for me. They have been over 200 for decades, every time I've tested in the past.

You can look into the NMR Lipoprofile which will show you what your LDL is made up of. Large is healty, small is the bad one. The general blood tests just show "Total"

also if you are loosing weight lipid profile tests may not be totally true, once you get to your goal weight and keep it there for a while then the lipid profile tests may be more indicative of your health.

Last edited:
Reporting in after a year. Since my peak weight of around 300 lbs I've lost 100 and have been 195-199 for two months now. So the weight has stabilized. If I wanted to lose more then I know where to cut but am happy where I am.

Blood sugar is normal and my 30 day avg is 98. It is dropping, 14 day is 92. I tried a few supplements and have found that fenugreek powder, also called methi powder, 3 grams a day seems to really help by keeping the spikes down. I have tingling foot issues if my BS is above 120 for a day or two. But I was using it before when my first stated the keto so it was hard to tell just what was doing what. I stop taking it for three months and have been on it now again for another month. 30 days ago my avg was 101/102. I buy the bulk powder and put it in the 000 capsules. It's about a gram a pill. It's also used as an artificial maple flavor and smells like it. My A1c last Feb was 5.1.

Got the Dr to prescribe the test strips so I get some reimbursement for that. Non insulin patients it's 30 strips a month and insulin 60 a month for Medicare.

Off my blood pressure med that I have been on for 25+ years. Still eating a low carb diet but not a full keto one. Maybe 100-125 grams a day. I go by my 3% per serving threshold for processed food. But can still have a regular high carb meal and not be too badly affected.

Commitment commitment, commitment...... most folks on diets do not commit, it takes a lot of will power--- Me , been on the Whole Food Plant Based way of eating for over 2 years,,,it works for me,,,will I give you all the lecture, naw, not worth it, to many stubborn people that will not commit to either my way of eating or any other kind....60 pct of the nation is way fluffy, just look around in the grocery store,,seeing is believing. I wish all of you the best in whatever way of eating you prefer... whats in your cart?

Commitment commitment, commitment...... most folks on diets do not commit, it takes a lot of will power--- Me , been on the Whole Food Plant Based way of eating for over 2 years,,,it works for me,,,will I give you all the lecture, naw, not worth it, to many stubborn people that will not commit to either my way of eating or any other kind....60 pct of the nation is way fluffy, just look around in the grocery store,,seeing is believing. I wish all of you the best in whatever way of eating you prefer... whats in your cart?
What’s in my cart?
Today as I walk the store and just about every time I shop
Sweet Potatoes excellent for the gut health and not just for thanksgiving
Cauliflower 4heads eaten raw
Broccoli about 3 pounds eaten raw or cooked plain
Apples
Oranges
12 grain bread 1slice for my lunch 1slice for my breakfast
Canned Tuna that’s lunch every single day. Yes everyday
Mayo gotta have a little in my tuna
Chicken thighs I’m a thigh guy
Pork Chops always rib chop
Cottage Cheese 4% only low fat sucks bedtime snack
Sparkling water whatever is on sale
Monster Energy zero or C4 energy drink (love them it’s my only crutch next to beer) that’s for the ride home.

Majority of my eating is from vegetables meat eggs fish for protein very limited pasta if any Carbs from brown rice potatoes grain bread very limited no raw sugar or very little. Down 80+ pounds from about 7 years ago eating my lifestyle has changed and eating is now is very easy for me I never fear of going back because I don’t call it a diet in my life as much as it’s my lifestyle.

Everyone is on a diet it’s what you eat consistently eat on a daily basis. When people say I’m going on a diet I don’t know what that means than what you go back to what you were doing I say you eat right yea that’s a diet. You have to say I’m going to consistently change my Lifestyle it’s a lifestyle of consistent eating. I would never say nothing is off limits but consistently eating ice cream or sugar and all other junk will never work. 80/20 rule I’m more 90/10 is huge and is what most everyone would benefit from and don’t care what you’re doing for exercise in the beginning.

Monster energy/energy drinks aren’t good for the heart. Everything else I like. Thank You sir🇺🇸👍
I'd put my heart rate against anyone on this site. We could test it after a quick 50 miles on the road bike or if ambitious a 100 47 resting heart rate at 47 years old.

Back