Kendall Versatrans CVT but no mention of what OEM's the stuff replaces?

I was at my local car parts store yesterday, talking with counter expert - he's been there for years and is my vintage so he's got to be smart. The topic of CVT fluids came up, he talks about the Kendall Versatrans stuff, says it's equivalent to Nissan NS3. I look at the bottle but it doesn't say any specs, just that it's for Nissan, Honda, Toyota, etc.

Why would the Phillips66 company not mention the exact specs their product is designed to replace? is this a legal out if the product fails to work for your application?
Same deal with their web documents for the product. Other oil companies are promoting their CVT oils as meeting various OEM brand specs directly on the bottle.

What's your feeling? I like Kendall products, I would be shocked if they were bringing a marginal product to market. Am I naive ?

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
uh so its a 1 fluid fits all??? seems very odd.
edit: This is the Plus version
Kendall VersaTrans CVT Plus is a full synthetic automatic transmission fluid for both belt and chain driven Continuously Variable Transmissions as well as standard Step Type transmissions. It’s engineered with unique frictional properties required for protection and performance across all three types of transmissions.

Edit:

The non plus fluid
CVT FLUID Kendall CVT Fluid is designed for use in belt-type continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) and in select chain-driven CVTs equipped with a torque converter. It is a premium-quality, full-synthetic transmission fluid. CVT Fluid is recommended for most Honda, Jeep, Mitsubishi, Nissan (except Altima hybrid) and Suzuki vehicles with CVT transmissions. It is not recommended for eCVT or most chain-driven CVT transmissions, or in any non-CVT transmission.

See application guide here

What do I think??? I will stick to OEM for a CVT...
This is really good advice, especially considering the consequences of damaging the CVT.

I would stick with OEM fluid or at minimum name brand fluid that lists the actual specification (NS3, NS2, etc.)

Reactions: hrv
You're not saving much money, it's still an aftermarket fluid and its not even the same color as NS-3 if warranty is a concern.
Right! Like that Castrol Transmax, is a DEEP RED color, mix that in with some Valvoline "green" and you can't tell when your fluid needs changed (based on color) That Transmax will darken the rest of the fluid, and you can never get it out at home flushing!

• Haha
Back