Kendall Euro 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a great deal on Kendal Euro 5w40 on Amazon, 12 qt. Case for under $50! Anyone have experience or spec's on this oil? I'd like to use it in my 2104 Passat if the oil is any good.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: newpassatt
I found a great deal on Kendal Euro 5w40 on Amazon, 12 qt. Case for under $50! Anyone have experience or spec's on this oil? I'd like to use it in my 2104 Passat if the oil is any good.
Thanks

Does your Passat require VW 502.00? If so, then the oil carries that specification per their PDS:

http://petroleumservicecompany.com/content/pdfs/KENDALL_GT-1_FULL_SYNTHETIC_EURO_PDS.pdf

It depends on what you need.

I your Passat gasoline or diesel?
If gasoline, you need something that says 229.5 or LL-01, full saps.
If diesel, you need MB 229.51 or LL-04, low saps.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Thanks

Does your Passat require VW 502.00?

Trust VW to still be calling for 502.00 spec in 2104.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
smile.gif

Thanks

Does your Passat require VW 502.00? If so, then the oil carries that specification per their PDS:

http://petroleumservicecompany.com/content/pdfs/KENDALL_GT-1_FULL_SYNTHETIC_EURO_PDS.pdf

That oil is not right for gasoline Passats. OK for diesels.
It could be used in gasoline, although the life will be shorter, not sure by how much. Need to change it early if you use it in a gasoline Passat.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
It could be used in gasoline, although the life will be shorter, not sure by how much. Need to change it early if you use it in a gasoline Passat.

Agreed, it would help if the OP posted what he actually requires.

Agreed, it would help if the OP posted what he actually requires.

Sorry, it's a 1.8l gasoline. Thanks

I've been using this exact oil for 12 years in my 2004 Passat with the 1.8T engine, but do what your Owners Manual suggests.

Too bad they can't ship to Canada, I have to pay about $ 8.50 CAD per litre on this one!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks

Does your Passat require VW 502.00?

Trust VW to still be calling for 502.00 spec in 2104

Sorry, couldn't resist.
smile.gif

What's wrong with the 502.00 spec.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I've been using this exact oil for 12 years in my 2004 Passat with the 1.8T engine, but do what your Owners Manual suggests.

Too bad they can't ship to Canada, I have to pay about $ 8.50 CAD per litre on this one!

I guess the others are right, this probably isn't the oil I need if going the full 10k OCI. Might be ok at half that distance tho.
My last b5.5 went 200k on Mobil 1 0w40 changed every 5k. Maybe I'll continue with that. Any one have any opinions on Mobil 1 0w40 going the full 10k in this 1.8l turbo Passat.

newpassatt, M1 0w40 and Castrol Edge 0w40, in the big jugs in Walmart is what a lot people do for great value and performance. Those german specs A40, LL01, MB 229.5, with the VW 502 is perfect for your engine.
VW gives you a choice of Short Drain, or Long Service Interval, and those 0w40's do Long. The Kendall 5w40 works for Short Drain in yours (per Kendall's spec sheet statements).

From Amsoil, to explain SAPS levels and corresponding recommendations in the U.S. with our high sulfur gasoline compared to Europe:

European Motor Oils and SAPS Content

Expanding Market
European vehicle market share has grown steadily over the last decade, with roughly 10 percent of all vehicles sold in the U.S. today bearing a European badge.
What is SAPS?
SAPS stands for sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur. They comprise a significant portion of a motor oil’s additive content. Sulfated ash is not added to oil; it is the result of additives in the oil burning and creating ash. The additives that can produce ash are most commonly used for total base number (TBN), but also help in other areas, like antioxidancy, anti-wear, cleanliness and soot handling. Phosphorus provides anti-wear properties and further antioxidancy, while sulfur contributes antioxidancy, anti-wear properties and engine cleanliness.
SAPS Levels
Given the beneficial properties these additives impart, it’s easy to assume a higher concentration equals a better oil. But higher SAPS levels can be a detriment to expensive exhaust devices, such as diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and catalysts. The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) realized the importance of using motor oil formulated with precise SAPS levels, and lower limits were established in 2010.
The three different SAPS levels of European motor oils can be confusing, especially when considering the same viscosity motor oil (5W-40) is available in mid- and full-SAPS AMSOIL European Car Formula options.
Finding the Correct Oil
Using an oil with the correct SAPS level is vital to maximizing the longevity and performance of European vehicles.

To determine the correct motor oil recommendation, consult the vehicle owner’s manual for the recommended OEM specification and viscosity, and match the corresponding AMSOIL product. You can also consult the Online Product Guide at amsoil.com or MyAMSOILGarage™ to determine the correct oil.

AMSOIL formulates low-, mid- and full-SAPS European synthetic motor oils to satisfy the needs of all European cars and light trucks. They are formulated to meet the unique demands of sophisticated European vehicles, delivering excellent all-season performance, maximum fuel economy and enhanced turbocharger protection.

AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-30 Low-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil (AEL) is recommended for European gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications: • VW 504.00/507.00 • Mercedes-Benz 229.51 • BMW LL-04 • Porsche C30

AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-40 Mid-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil (AFL) is recommended for European gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications:
Manufacturer Approvals
BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.51
Porsche A40
Recommended for:
API CF/SN/SM...
ACEA C3
Ford WSS-M2C917-A
GM dexos2™ (supersedes LL-A-025 and LL-B-025)
Chrysler MS-10850 (supersedes MS-10896)
Renault RN0700/RN0710
Volkswagen 502.00/505.01

AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-40 Full-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil (EFM) is recommended for European gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications:
API SN/SM
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
BMW LL-01
GM/Opel LL-B-025
Mercedes-Benz 229.3, 229.5
Porsche A40
Renault 0710, 0700
Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00

I have the same exact model with 1.8 TSI and i use GC 0W40 which meets 502 spec. I originally used Castrol Professiknal but its too expensive after doing quite a lot of teading on the forum GC 0w40 or M1 0w40 are reasonlably priced and meetthe vwspec. If u want the officially approved oil, then M1 should be the way to go.

newpassatt, M1 0w40 and Castrol Edge 0w40, in the big jugs in Walmart is what a lot people do for great value and performance. Those german specs A40, LL01, MB 229.5, with the VW 502 is perfect for your engine.
VW gives you a choice of Short Drain, or Long Service Interval, and those 0w40's do Long. The Kendall 5w40 works for Short Drain in yours (per Kendall's spec sheet statements).

From Amsoil, to explain SAPS levels and corresponding recommendations in the U.S. with our high sulfur gasoline compared to Europe:

European Motor Oils and SAP

Expanding Market
European vehicle market share has grown steadily over the last decade, with roughly 10 percent of all vehicles sold in the U.S. today bearing a European badge.
What is SAPS?
SAPS stands for sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur. They comprise a significant portion of a motor oil’s additive content. Sulfated ash is not added to oil; it is the result of additives in the oil burning and creating ash. The additives that can produce ash are most commonly used for total base number (TBN), but also help in other areas, like antioxidancy, anti-wear, cleanliness and soot handling. Phosphorus provides anti-wear properties and further antioxidancy, while sulfur contributes antioxidancy, anti-wear properties and engine cleanliness.
SAPS Levels
Given the beneficial properties these additives impart, it’s easy to assume a higher concentration equals a better oil. But higher SAPS levels can be a detriment to expensive exhaust devices, such as diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and catalysts. The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) realized the importance of using motor oil formulated with precise SAPS levels, and lower limits were established in 2010.
The three different SAPS levels of European motor oils can be confusing, especially when considering the same viscosity motor oil (5W-40) is available in mid- and full-SAPS AMSOIL European Car Formula options.
Finding the Correct Oil
Using an oil with the correct SAPS level is vital to maximizing the longevity and performance of European vehicles.

To determine the correct motor oil recommendation, consult the vehicle owner’s manual for the recommended OEM specification and viscosity, and match the corresponding AMSOIL product. You can also consult the Online Product Guide at amsoil.com or MyAMSOILGarage™ to determine the correct oil.

AMSOIL formulates low-, mid- and full-SAPS European synthetic motor oils to satisfy the needs of all European cars and light trucks. They are formulated to meet the unique demands of sophisticated European vehicles, delivering excellent all-season performance, maximum fuel economy and enhanced turbocharger protection.

AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-30 Low-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil (AEL) is recommended for European gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications: • VW 504.00/507.00 • Mercedes-Benz 229.51 • BMW LL-04 • Porsche C30

AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-40 Mid-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil (AFL) is recommended for European gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications:
Manufacturer Approvals
BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.51
Porsche A40
Recommended for:
API CF/SN/SM...
ACEA C3
Ford WSS-M2C917-A
GM dexos2™ (supersedes LL-A-025 and LL-B-025)
Chrysler MS-10850 (supersedes MS-10896)
Renault RN0700/RN0710
Volkswagen 502.00/505.01

AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-40 Full-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil (EFM) is recommended for European gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications:
API SN/SM
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
BMW LL-01
GM/Opel LL-B-025
Mercedes-Benz 229.3, 229.5
Porsche A40
Renault 0710, 0700
Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00

Thanks for all your input, everyone, esp. this one, oil-film-movies; well written and informative.

Newpassatt

Thanks

Please elaborate on why would it "Need to change early" in gasoline cars? , thanks.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Anything with the vw502 approval will be up to the factory recommended OCI. (10k-10k+)

That's a good point. While the TBN on this Kendall oil isn't very high, it's probably just barely high enough to make it to 10K. Unless this new 1.8T engine is particularly tough on oil. Not sure if it is or not...

Personally, for the price, I think there are more stout alternatives out there, affording a greater safety margin.

Originally Posted By: fpracha
Please elaborate on why would it "Need to change early" in gasoline cars? , thanks.

You just have to watch the low TBN with North American gasoline (and fuel trims, worse so with DI) with the low SAPS oils. For guys running short OCIs, it hardly matters. But, if you're running the long Euro type OCIs, the A3/B4 is better.

My G37's manual requirements allow me to use a C3 type oil in 5w-30, as long as it's SM or newer. It doesn't actually require GF-4 or newer. Shell and Castrol both agree. Of course, the OEM OCIs are so short, the lower TBN doesn't even come into the slightest consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back