Kawasaki Oil or Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

I have a 22hp kawi fx engine on my mower. I like the idea of using synthetic oil but I'm wondering if Mobil 1 is lacking the additives that the kawi oil has that's rec. for my engine? Kawi's updated rec. is 10w40 during the cooler weather months,and 20w50 for the warmer months.

Kawasaki oil:
Meets JASO MA
API Service CJ-4 and SL

JASO MA is a motorcycle spec.
CJ-4 is a HDEO (diesel engine) spec.

I would just run 15w40 CJ-4 year round.

The Mobil 1 to get if that is the brand you want is Mobil 1 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck.) Look for CJ-4 on the label. If you want full synthetic you'll probably end up with 5w40 which won't hurt anything.

You can look at Motorcycle oils if you want the JASO MA but they probably won't be rated CJ-4.

If I had to choose I would go with the CJ-4.

The other Mobil 1 oils you might be looking at are the motorcycle oils, Racing 4T and V-twin.

The 10w40 Racing 4T meets JASO MA, but the 20w50 is only API SJ/CF. Neither one claims to meet CJ-4.

If you want a 50 you could run year round (in Florida), Mystik makes a 15w50 CJ-4 synthetic blend I have heard good things about. Reasonably priced, too.

Generally you can easily surpass the performance of the oem oil which is often blended by the larger company anyway. Mobil 1 will certainly not be lacking anything that it meets the spec for such as API SN, GF5 or even more stringent specs depending on the flavor.

Can't speak to your FX but the Kaw FS 24 hp engine in my John Deere Z445 zero turn gets 5w30 9003D Schaeffer synthetic. Has to mow about 2 acres of lawn each time out. Runs great. Even John Deere, if they do the service, uses a 10w30 stock oil. Never have used a 40w oil in any of my small engines. More often than not, the equipment wears out before the motor does.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Can't speak to your FX but the Kaw FS 24 hp engine in my John Deere Z445 zero turn gets 5w30 9003D Schaeffer synthetic. Has to mow about 2 acres of lawn each time out. Runs great. Even John Deere, if they do the service, uses a 10w30 stock oil. Never have used a 40w oil in any of my small engines. More often than not, the equipment wears out before the motor does.

Flawda air is a "little" warmer than Iowa air, usually. Air cooled engine. I think he wants a 15w40. I agree.

Nuttin' special about any OEM oil that I've ever seen ... same is likely true with the Kawi oil.

Anything a 10W40 can do, a 5W40 or a 15W40 can do better.
smile.gif

In the owners manual, Kawasaki only recommends a API SL oil. The newest ratings are all backwards compatible. I asked Kawasaki why they say API SL, and they say because of the zinc and phosphorous levels are reduced in the newer rated oils. Thats the 20 and 30 weights only. And besides there are other anti wear additives too. I asked the minimum amount they like to see and they said, 1000 ppm. Mobil 1 0w40 will meet that. This is my thinking and it as well be the OP thinking, why pay for the OEM's when you can buy Mobil 1 at the same price? And besides you can find Mobil 1 or other full synthetics easier on sale. Using a 5w30 or 10w30 synthetic is not bad for the engine, but for a piece of mind, you can use Mobil 1 0w40, Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30, 10w30, or 10w40. There are plenty of diesel oil fans on here, so a 5w40 oil isn't that bad.

Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Flawda air is a "little" warmer than Iowa air, usually. Air cooled engine. I think he wants a 15w40. I agree.

Sure, in winter. But not in summer. It's not uncommon to have over 100F and 90% humidity in Iowa in the summer. And the 24hp Kaw FS in my zero turn is air cooled also. I haven't used a 40w oil in any of my small stuff in years. Fact is, nothing I have now even up to my semi truck engine gets anything more than a XXw30 oil. Gonna have a hard time convincing my equipment that they are falling apart because of it.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I have a 22hp kawi fx engine on my mower. I like the idea of using synthetic oil but I'm wondering if Mobil 1 is lacking the additives that the kawi oil has that's rec. for my engine? Kawi's updated rec. is 10w40 during the cooler weather months,and 20w50 for the warmer months.

You could use either Mobil 1 0w40, 5w50, or 15w50 year round in Florida, and they have the extra ZDDP too.

Kawasaki is rec I run 20w50 in the summer months. The mobil 1 TDT is 5w40. Is there a 20w50 fully synthetic that would meet the CJ-4?

Kawasaki oil:
Meets JASO MA
API Service CJ-4 and SL

The Mobil 1 to get if that is the brand you want is Mobil 1 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck.) Look for CJ-4 on the label. If you want full synthetic you'll probably end up with 5w40 which won't hurt anything.

You can look at Motorcycle oils if you want the JASO MA but they probably won't be rated CJ-4.

Kawasaki is rec I run 20w50 in the summer months. The mobil 1 TDT is 5w40. Is there a 20w50 fully synthetic that would meet the CJ-4?

Kawasaki oil:
Meets JASO MA
API Service CJ-4 and SL

You will be hard pressed to find one. You got to remember that Kawasaki made there recommendation on using a conventional oil. Synthetic oils are able to be used in broader temperature ranges than what conventional oil does. Briggs and Stratton recommends 5w30 synthetic for all temperature ranges. So a 5w40 synthetic won't have any problems where you are at. I would use that no problem.

After re-reading the Kawasaki oil page linked in the chart above, I'm not even sure Kawasaki 20w50 meets CJ-4.

If you are dead set on 20w50, you will have to match the specs off the Kawasaki 20w50 bottle or find the PDS.

Personally, I only see a 6 degree difference in the upper end of that super scientific chart from Kawasaki. I would choose 15w40 year round in your climate and call it a day.

After re-reading the Kawasaki oil page linked in the chart above, I'm not even sure Kawasaki 20w50 meets CJ-4.

If you are dead set on 20w50, you will have to match the specs off the Kawasaki 20w50 bottle or find the PDS.

Personally, I only see a 6 degree difference in the upper end of that super scientific chart from Kawasaki. I would choose 15w40 year round in your climate and call it a day.

Only the 10w30 is CJ-4 certified. According to description, this is what it says: "Ideal for all engines where API, CJ-4, SL and JASO MA oil is recommended. " The OP's engine only recommends an API SL oil.
I would agree with you. Use 15w40, or 5w40 if you really want a synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back