Kahr CW380 and S&W Bodyguard 380?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PM380 has never had a glitch along with her brothers; PM9 and PM45.

I don't know about the CW series but PM models should be loaded via slide lock release; pulling the slide back typically causes a jam.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
It doesn't really matter what other people think he should get. He needs to go to a range that rents guns and find one he likes and can shoot well. He may not like any of the options thrown out here

No ranges that rent guns in his area (he lives in the boondocks). Best I can do is just collect as much on reliability and help him pick one that feels good (and goes bang reliably) at the local gun shops.

Is crime that bad in the boondocks of central IA. Or the car so valuable, that he's a viable target?

Is this intended for pocket/holster carry, or in some sort of a stowed position in the vehicle?

Has he considered something like a glock 43 or 19?

+1 to DerbyDave. Glock 19 and Sig 229 fit my hand best, IMO, they just feel more natural. Has he found what feels most natural in hand?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
It doesn't really matter what other people think he should get. He needs to go to a range that rents guns and find one he likes and can shoot well. He may not like any of the options thrown out here

No ranges that rent guns in his area (he lives in the boondocks). Best I can do is just collect as much on reliability and help him pick one that feels good (and goes bang reliably) at the local gun shops.

Is crime that bad in the boondocks of central IA. Or the car so valuable, that he's a viable target?

Is this intended for pocket/holster carry, or in some sort of a stowed position in the vehicle?

Has he considered something like a glock 43 or 19?

+1 to DerbyDave. Glock 19 and Sig 229 fit my hand best, IMO, they just feel more natural. Has he found what feels most natural in hand?

Crime is pretty awful in his town. A drive by of a convenience store, two armed robberies of pedestrians (both were shot), and two murders just the past couple weeks in a town of just over 20k. His town has a SERIOUS drug/gang problem. Also last year someone broke in and stole 35k of tools and vintage speed equipment from his shop 6 months back. The cops never caught anyone for it.

As for the car, it is a 1932 Ford three window all original steel. It was recently appraised at 100k. And yes, he wants a pocket gun. I think I have him talked into a S&W J frame or Ruger LCR now actually. He has a Ruger P89 in the house but that brick is too big to carry for him, and I honestly don't know if it would fit into the tiny glove compartment of that car.

Last edited:
UPDATE

Convinced him to get a wheel gun finally after he handled some sub compact semi autos. So we have a S&W 638 ordered at the local gun store. Should be here this next week.

Wheel guns are really not front pocket guns. They stick out a little too much. A real front pocket or shirt pocket gun is my Ruger LCP or my wife's Kel-tec P32.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Wheel guns are really not front pocket guns. They stick out a little too much. A real front pocket or shirt pocket gun is my Ruger LCP or my wife's Kel-tec P32.

The gun shop owner daily carries a 637 in a Galco pocket holster. Let him try it out, and it concealed for my pops just fine. They are about a quarter inch thicker than most of the semi autos. J frames are about 1 1/4 inches while many semis are around 1 inch. My pops wears baggy pants or bib overalls so it should work alright for him.

Last edited:
I like the J frames for pocket holster carry. Much safer than semi autos in the pocked as to how the semis are designed

Originally Posted By: CT8
I like the J frames for pocket holster carry. Much safer than semi autos in the pocked as to how the semis are designed

Seems to be a very popular pocket carry choice on the S&W forums also. I am thinking the Gold Dot 135gr +p loads will be a good match for it.

I carried a Smith 340 for 6 or 7 years, in a front pocket, in a pocket holster. Great gun. I occasionally still carry it, but due to ISIS and other world threats, I prefer to carry a higher capacity 9MM now.

The Speer 135+P short barrel load is a good choice. Here is a 50 rd box for not much more than the 20 rd boxes:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/speer-38-special-p-135gr-gold-dot-ammunition-50rds-53921.html

For pocket holsters, I've tried about 10 over the years and nothing compares to the AHolster, in my opinion. I own about 10 of their pocket holsters and buy nothing else.
http://shop.aholster.com/product.sc;jses...mp;categoryId=1

Most failures to load a Kahr is operator error......racking a slide on a Kahr, particularly the smaller ones, is an almost guaranteed failure-to-feed. The manuals tell you to load a Kahr (at least the PM series) requires the firearm be loaded by using the slide release lever. I have the 380, 9, and 45....all PM's and I have NEVER had a failure to feed, failure to eject, etc, etc.....the only problem I have is (sometimes) missing the target. The manuals instruct explain how to load a Kahr; deviate and problems will probably occur.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
Most failures to load a Kahr is operator error......racking a slide on a Kahr, particularly the smaller ones, is an almost guaranteed failure-to-feed. The manuals tell you to load a Kahr (at least the PM series) requires the firearm be loaded by using the slide release lever. I have the 380, 9, and 45....all PM's and I have NEVER had a failure to feed, failure to eject, etc, etc.....the only problem I have is (sometimes) missing the target. The manuals instruct explain how to load a Kahr; deviate and problems will probably occur.

True! Good post.

Having owned or shot all of the choices I'd choose the Kahr 380 first for its smooth and consistent trigger, but the OP's fathers choice im of the Smith is equally smooth and reliable.

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Having owned or shot all of the choices I'd choose the Kahr 380 first for its smooth and consistent trigger, but the OP's fathers choice im of the Smith is equally smooth and reliable.

Its a defensive pistol. Not a target pistol. A smooth trigger is irrelevant in a self defense situation and that's the only way you should practice with it IMHO. I never shoot any of my pistols from a non combat stance and mode anymore. Thats just me.

Last edited:

The only problem with that is if you were in a self defense situation, had a jam and had to tap rack then load. Taking time to lock the cylinder back to load a round could get you killed.

I did the 380 dance for a long time. My two favorites were the G42 and the p238. I sold the p238 and still have the Glock. I realize those were not your choices but if you're gonna stick with one of those 2 go with the BG. I had one for a good 2 years before I upgraded. The Kahr looks and feels nice but I couldn't shoot it worth a buck and it jammed on every magazine.

If you think that racking the slide is any different (from the gun's perspective) than using the slide release lever...

You're doing it wrong!!

What you're describing is "riding the slide". If you pull the slide all the way back, and release it. It slams forward under the pressure of the main spring just the same as when you use the slide release.

If you're new to guns, you let your hand sit on the slide as it goes forward, riding the slide, and you screw up the function of the pistol.

Even a Glock doesn't respond well to folks that ride the slide.

Of your choices, Id go with the kahr. The rugers are too fragile (seen many LCRs and LCPs with small parts failures) and I've seen too many reliability issues with the smith 380s (not that the kahr is perfect).

Outside of your choices, I'd get a Glock 42

Last edited:
You're supposed to see more problems - especially early models. Plus, Ruger outsells Kahrs 3-1 in subcompacts.

I have both brands BTW. No problems with either one. No problems with the wife's Keltec P32 either.

Now the Taurus and that subpar SA/DA trigger on the PT111 G2?..... well that's another story.

As mentioned he ended up with a 638 S&W. I had a local smith do a trigger job on it and he is very happy with it. Put a lighter rebound spring it it and slicked up the double action surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back