Just when you think you've seen it all at Walmart....

I’ve just put it on the shop counter after standing there being ignored, but I’ve never placed it on a shelf.

I’ve just put it on the shop counter after standing there being ignored, but I’ve never placed it on a shelf.
There's a couple AAP's near me, and I've learned to go to one of the other, the one store is super anal and by the book and will make you sign a book saying how much oil you dropped and your address, and they force you to take your containers back even if they're just washer solvent jugs you want disposed of, the other store is like, just leave it by the counter if you don't need your containers back.

There may be a market for people who can't afford a car but like to read UOAs. Buy used oil and send it in--save thousands on all the extraneous expenses like insurance, gas,

There may be a market for people who can't afford a car but like to read UOAs. Buy used oil and send it in--save thousands on all the extraneous expenses like insurance, gas,
This would be a good candidate for Blackstone mystery UOA of the month column. Maybe they'll even sponsor the analysis. :)

I'm seeing oil on the threads under the clear cap - whether it's used or fresh, I don't know, but it definitely looks like it's been tampered with.

Valvoline has a visible foil seal under that clear cap. It would be very easy to tell if it had been opened or not.

Many responses, some answers, it was indeed old oil. As it was under, all over the cap especially when moved. Not sure who left it there, could been a customer or employee. Just don't understand how or why either could do this knowingly. I've never seen this anywhere else.

After my son did our truck OCI's this past Sunday, my brother called and asked what I was doing. I told him that my son had just finished doing our trucks OCI's. He asked if I kept the old oil. I said yes, but my son was going empty it at work. He said that he wanted it and said he was going to use it in his 2005 Suburban's engine. :unsure: 🤷‍♂️

Just don't understand how or why either could do this knowingly.
Husband says to wife: honey, since you're going shopping at Walmart, do you mind taking these oil jugs to the disposal?

Wife takes them, loads them into her shopping cart and goes into the store. She gets to the oil section, but she can't find the disposal area, so she just unloads the jugs in the oil section and continues with her shopping. In places like Walmart, you'll find misplaced items all over the store because people decide they don't want something in their cart and they don't feel like walking back to the isle where they found it.

Now that, I say, is a very liberal return policy!!!! So I guess every 90 days you can return your used oil for a refund?

In all honesty I would be willing to bet a customer brought their used oil for recycling, was getting ignored by employees at the counter, and just wrote “used” on it with a sharpie and left it on the shelf and walked out of the store.

A couple days ago, I returned some 'unopened' oil to Walmart.
Once on the return counter, I said to employee, "oh I forgot to erase the date I put on there".
I always write the Month/Year on every thing I buy with a Sharpie marker.
The employee said, "that don't matter"
If it ends back on the oil shelf, someone is going to question it, (or maybe not).

After my son did our truck OCI's this past Sunday, my brother called and asked what I was doing. I told him that my son had just finished doing our trucks OCI's. He asked if I kept the old oil. I said yes, but my son was going empty it at work. He said that he wanted it and said he was going to use it in his 2005 Suburban's engine. :unsure: 🤷‍♂️
If it's got a valve stem seal leak, then used oil probably makes the most sense if it's just going to burn it anyways.

I also thought, "That was nice of them to mark the bottle" LOL. The threads on that cap are pretty black so I assume it is in fact used oil.

Back