Asking for a friend, thinking to use "lightly used oil"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy (my friend) bought his son (17) a used Mercury Marquis 2004 (I call it the granny version) 4.6L V8 with 225k on the odo. Thing leaks and burns oil like no tomorrow. He knows his son is a monkey (his own description on his son) and will never care about it properly. Plus my friend just want a form of transportation for his son during these virus times avoiding public transportation. He goes to school and drives like 20 to 30 miles daily. Weather is cold in Michigan where he lives.

He was thinking to use "used oil" in it. He mentioned that he saw a yard sale close to where he lives and one guy was selling what he described "lightly used oil, Mobil1, less than 1000 miles on it, clean, and engine never overheated on it". The jug was 5 quarts and comes at $1.5.
Same guy was also telling him he might sell him used oil filters too for 50 cents each, motorcraft.

He was contemplating buying the jug, either use it right away or may send a sample for analysis.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Well...no way to know if the yard sale oil is lightly used or complete garbage. Hard pass.

Plenty of cheap oil available, new, and you know what you’re getting.

Now, if you wanted to give him your used oil, lightly used, well...

Haha I hope that’s a joke heck go to Walmart and get the cheapest oil and cheapest oil filter something is better than nothing but who in the right mind would buy something like that? I change the oil in my truck once a year usually only has around 500 miles on it maximum does he want that too? Lol 😂. I would never buy used oil and for sure not a used filter.

Wouldn't that completely negate all savings? And, in fact, cost way more than just buying a new 5 quart jug somewhere?

With that said, I would run used oil thru a burner.

He is kind of resource conserving freak. And the used oil caught his attention and was curious.
He is doing good for himself but doesn't want to pay much for the son's car.

Honestly I'm about at that point with my 5.4 ... It's really started to go through oil. I do have the right side head gasket leak and RMS leak, but it doesn't leave drops on the ground, so it's consuming it all. Very worn out, 235000 (somewhere near there) miles. Maybe 236/7k? I'd have to do the math again. (I stopped using TCW3 a while back once I ran out, may try it again to try to slow it down a bit). When towing I go through a quart every 100 miles and empty it's about 250 miles per quart. I think the next change I'm going to catch the oil out of the Subaru and just put it in a 5 quart jug and start dumping it in the F350 when it needs oil.

The guy (my friend) bought his son (17) a used Mercury Marquis 2004 (I call it the granny version) 4.6L V8 with 225k on the odo. Thing leaks and burns oil like no tomorrow. He knows his son is a monkey (his own description on his son) and will never care about it properly. Plus my friend just want a form of transportation for his son during these virus times avoiding public transportation. He goes to school and drives like 20 to 30 miles daily. Weather is cold in Michigan where he lives.

He was thinking to use "used oil" in it. He mentioned that he saw a yard sale close to where he lives and one guy was selling what he described "lightly used oil, Mobil1, less than 1000 miles on it, clean, and engine never overheated on it". The jug was 5 quarts and comes at $1.5.
Same guy was also telling him he might sell him used oil filters too for 50 cents each, motorcraft.

He was contemplating buying the jug, either use it right away or may send a sample for analysis.

What do you think?
***?? Haha someone would really “buy” that?? It needs to go to the oil recycling center.

Used filters need to go in the trash, especially the FL-820s. It's not worth risking torn media when a new supertech st2 or fram ph2 is $4 or less.

If the filters were new in box, I would be more willing to pick them up at a garage sale if they were $0.50 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back