Just got a 2016 Subaru Forester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Not the wisest financial move I know.

That's quite the understatement-3 vehicles in 4 years with a combination of leasing and financing. But if you enjoy sending that payment every month, then I'm sure it's a nice vehicle. Financial institutions and used car buyers sincerely offer their thanks.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, like HerrStig said, had a little bit more effort been put into the pedal layout, clutch travel and feel, I'd still own my XV Crosstrek. It seemed great for the first month or two. Any awkwardness I attributed to the newness and me not being used to it. As time went on it got real tiresome.

As said, Subarus are extremely popular in my area. I live about 25mi outside of Buffalo in ski country. It's very hilly and snowy in the winter, so these vehicles are ideal for us for up to 6mo out of the year. My dealer had 3 base models on the lot with steel wheels and basically no options. One was a 6spd and the other 2 were sold before I could get one. Mine is the base model w/ CVT, the aluminum wheel package, mud guards, bumper guard, roof rails, etc.. None of this I particularly wanted, but it was on the lot. These items racked the sticker up to $25480. The most basic model is well into the $23K range with the $850 destination charge applied.

All of the Subes I've owned had superb visibility. New one included. They seem to put a lot of effort into this. Basically no blind-spots.

The new forester has bit softer of a ride and is more quiet than the 'sportier' XV. Here's some pics of the new and the old:

I have a 2011 Legacy with the CVT. While our winters here in the Salt Lake area are not as bad as yours-I have never had issues running all season tires year around.

They are great vehicles despite what the naysayers state here on BITOG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
I have a 2011 Legacy with the CVT. While our winters here in the Salt Lake area are not as bad as yours-I have never had issues running all season tires year around.

They are great vehicles despite what the naysayers state here on BITOG.

Yeah, my 2012 Legacy was horrible with the stock Bridgestone Turanzas. With Firestone winterforce is was excellent, aside from the low ground clearance.

To me most cable shifted manual transmissions feel funny/spongy.
The best feeling manual I ever experienced was a mustang that had the lever going straight into transmission basically.

My wife has a 2014 Crosstrek with CVT. She initially wanted to get one with a manual, but she also wanted a sunroof, and the sunroof is only available with CVT. She eventually decided to go with a CVT and sunroof. Sounds like that worked out for the best.

Good for you for doing what's right for YOU. I haven't owned a manual transmission since about 5 vehicles ago, now. A good manual can be fun, but there's a whole lot more to driving enjoyment than a gear stick and a third pedal, at least to me.

Originally Posted By: Rust_Belt_Pete
To me most cable shifted manual transmissions feel funny/spongy.
The best feeling manual I ever experienced was a mustang that had the lever going straight into transmission basically.

The funny thing with the XV Crosstrek was, the gate and throw to the shifter was great. The crazy numb clutch is was ruined it for this particular vehicle. Other than that, this is an excellent vehicle. One of the best looking Subarus too IMO. I went with the CVT Forester over a new CVT Crosstrek because for a little bit more money, it's more vehicle. To me, the Forester is the most Subaru for your dollar.

For those who are interested, the sticker on the new Forester was $25480. Best I could to do was $24100 + TTL. Based on the research I've done, that was an OK deal. I got a $17500 trade-in allowance for my 2014 XV Crosstrek. $2000 more than I owed.

Last edited:
Nice car. As someone else already said, Subaru probably do the best CVT.

We have a new Liberty (Legacy to you) in the fleet at work, and the way it's programmed, you wouldn't even know it's not a conventional automatic in normal day to day driving. Does the Forester come with paddle shifters? They work great in the Liberty - and the instruments even change to red when you're in manual mode, to really get you in the mood!

Originally Posted By: hpb
... Does the Forester come with paddle shifters? They work great in the Liberty - and the instruments even change to red when you're in manual mode, to really get you in the mood!

No paddle shifters on the base model Forester. In fact, you can't even do a +/- through fake gears with the floor shifter. The only other option other than "Drive" is "Low", by toggling the floor shift to the left when in Drive. I'm fine with that. It's perfect for descending hills or when you want to keep slow in bad conditions.

No paddle shifters on the base model Forester.

Pretty sure they're only on the XT for US models, unless they changed that for the 2016s. I think they're on all but the base model here in Canada.

Not that I use them much, but they come in handy at times.

Edit: And, yeah, it's the best CVT of the models we test-drove last year.

For those who are interested, the sticker on the new Forester was $25480. Best I could to do was $24100 + TTL. Based on the research I've done, that was an OK deal. I got a $17500 trade-in allowance for my 2014 XV Crosstrek. $2000 more than I owed.

Congrats on the car. Do they normally budge at all?

the GF is getting ready to buy a 2015 impreza sport prem in auto, i guess its a CVT. Most stickers/online pricing is showing $22,500-24xxx. Normally i'm used to getting $20000+ TTL but your the 2nd person that stated they dont go down much. Our biggest problem is finding the color combo she wants (white on blk interior).

Congratulations!!

You and I both bought our Crosstreks within a few weeks of each other IIRC. Ours is my wifes dd and I know that you haven't been happy with yours for a good little while now.

Our Crosstrek is great and although the issue about the clutch that you mention is present, it is not a deal breaker for us in a car that has been fantastic for us and one that we consider a long term keeper, especially now that it is paid for.

I sure hope that you enjoy your new Forester and I look forward to your reviews.

bowlofturtle, in terms of wiggle room on price, it depends on the popularity of Subarus in your area. They tend to stock what they sell and they sell fast, so there's no "big three" type discounting going on. Getting ~$1300 off MSRP on my base model (with options) Forester was very good for my area. Of course the Sales manager claimed they would be making about $100 on the sale . I'm sure they'll make up the difference on my trade.

bigdreama, there are aspects of my XV that I will certainly miss. First and foremost being the looks of the XV. They're the coolest looking Subaru ever IMO. They're nimble, sporty and versatile. Like I say, if it had the CVT, I'd still own it.

Things I LOVE so far about my 2016 Forster. The CVT. No weirdness, super smooth and consistent. The base factory sounds system is so much better than that of the XV. Much richer, clearer sound. I'm not used to all the touch screen stuff on the head-unit yet, nor am I used to the display up high on the dash. The dash and controls are virtually identical to that of the XV, but the computerized displays are very different.

The Forester is roomier, rides a bit softer and has more power than the XV. Dash average MPG for it's first ~140mi is 29mpg.

Last edited:
bowlofturtle, in terms of wiggle room on price, it depends on the popularity of Subarus in your area. They tend to stock what they sell and they sell fast, so there's no "big three" type discounting going on. Getting ~$1300 off MSRP on my base model (with options) Forester was very good for my area. Of course the Sales manager claimed they would be making about $100 on the sale . I'm sure they'll make up the difference on my trade.

Subaru are super popular here in chicago as your place.

Just came back from the dealership. Kinda heard the same story you stated. I went lowball to see how they would react. Got the same story, they showed me the invoice $$ and told me they normally ask for 3% over but bottom line is that they will give me invoice. Which is 225xx for a sport prem impreza wagon.

THanks for the info, wasn't too sure if the dealership was playing me or what.

Yeah, I just bought a '16 forester too. Dealership was crowded with customers. I had to wait for a salesman to become available. I asked for 2% under invoice but was shot down.
We agreed to 1% under invoice but I think I paid slightly over invoice. I showed the sales man a list of options with prices I found on the internet (true car or Kbb) but of course he said the prices were too low.

It seems as if the invoice price doesn't mean much and it's impossible to find the dealer cost.

Frank, what trim level 2016 did you get?

My dealership experience was similar. It began with email, which I assumed was with Sales people, given they'd talk price, trade-in values etc, but in fact was a customer service rep. When I arrived at the Subaru dealership and 'checked-in' at the kiosk, the receptionist got me a Sales person from the Kia dealer next door (This used to be a combined Subaru/Kia dealer). Negotiations weren't going well at first, but as soon as my sales person got a Subaru sales manager involved, it fell into place.

Last edited:
JTK,

I got a premium with CVT and eye site. Also some other options like a cargo tray, hard seat backs for the 2nd row, speakers and tweeters. I wanted what I wanted so it was a factory order. Took about 7 weeks for delivery. Paid just under 30K out the door. I think I did OK. From what I'm reading, Subaru is the "hot" brand now. I don't think they would deal much. It just wasn't worth my time to try playing dealers against each other to save what I think would be a few hundred dollars. Just went to my closest dealer and bought. Pretty painless.

One fella I work with went through "Truecar" for his 2014 Subaru WRX. He had to drive quite a way to find a dealership that participated with Truecar.

The premium package is nice with the factory tint and all-weather package. About the only thing I miss on my 2016 base model is the factory tint my two previous premium model Subarus had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back