Just got a 2016 Subaru Forester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I'm back in a CVT again! You don't usually hear people excited about this, or want to admit it, but I sure am. I traded-in my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd yesterday. I loved everything about that vehicle aside from the 5spd. Super awkward clutch travel, which made the "feel" of the clutch terrible. The pedal spacing was also an issue for me and was really bad with work or winter boots on. If it had been CVT, It would still be mine.

I started the Subaru game back in ~2011 with a leased 2012 Legacy Premium 2.5i CVT. I thoroughly enjoyed the Legacy aside from the super low seating position and low ground clearance. I turned that in and purchased/financed the 2014 XV Crosstrek in late 2013. I bought (financed) the 2016 base model Forester yesterday. Got a really good trade-in allowance for the XV and got them down as low as they would go on the Forester.

Not the wisest financial move I know. I always put some cash down and finance the rest, provided I can get
Going to pick up the new ride in an hour!

Congrats. No need to justify your purchase, especially if you enjoy it. Buffalo winters CVT,no problem.

Make sure it has a bumper protector on top of the rear bumper else pulling suite cases out of the rear area will scratch the bumper.

Buffalo NY weather and Subaru were made for each other. Subaru sells very well in comparison to other brands in snow country ... they have increased market share every year without exception in Canada for 20 years.

Pedals too close? I have that problem with the focus. If I'm wearing boots, I can accidentally press all 3 with either my right or left foot.

Congrats on the new car! The Forester is a nice car.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Buffalo NY weather and Subaru were made for each other. Subaru sells very well in comparison to other brands in snow country ... they have increased market share every year without exception in Canada for 20 years.

It is actually much more proper for finger lakes. Buffalo NY region is flatter than Paris Hilton.
Finger Lakes you get the snow and add the crazy Appalacia like mountain roads and crazy inclines there.

Originally Posted By: Rust_Belt_Pete
Did you just dare to question the sacred manual transmission?
Better put on some nomex underwear the torch and pitchfork crowd is coming.

Subaru recent manuals except WRX, BRZ and STI are pretty dismal. I found same experience with Corolla/Camry in recent iterations of manual. Almost like they did not try or had no budget to do a decent job with a manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

It is actually much more proper for finger lakes. Buffalo NY region is flatter than Paris Hilton.
Finger Lakes you get the snow and add the crazy Appalacia like mountain roads and crazy inclines there.

Out in Holland/South Boston it gets hilly!

Congratulations! Enjoy! And pics would be great.
smile.gif

Nice. Good choice, the CVT is superior to the lousy/clunky Subaru MT. The Subaru CVT is also probably the best on the market.

Drive the WRX with it, it's fantastic.

How is the rear visibility for backing up? My mother just got a Rouge but isn't enjoying the lack of rear visibility in parking lots, or even backing out of the driveway. They think the Forester would be better, but I think they'll have to go back a generation to get thinner pillars.

Let's see some pics when you get it.

Any reason you decided to get a Forester over another Crosstek?

Did you just dare to question the sacred manual transmission?
Better put on some nomex underwear the torch and pitchfork crowd is coming.
Manuals are terrific for those who can actually use one. The problem lies in the ergonomics of pedal placement and shifter location forced upon the product by the bean counters. The first Mazda 626 had a very nice clutch design, the Miata continues. The later Volvos with remote linkage were pretty nice, and BMW has always managed to have nice placement and feel. There are others, I put 400K on a manual SAAB with no transmission problems and one clutch at about 250K. On the other hand, there are folks who should NEVER get into a manual, they'll never get the proper feel for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back