Just for fun, how are you enjoying your car payment

These types of threads often annoy me in that they attract "holier than thou" types that preach that borrowing money/buying new is evil and cannot be done under any circumstances. The truth is, responsible people can and do get loans all the time while still managing their money wisely. For all the people claiming how great they did buying used cars, I "suspect" there are equal numbers that got hosed with extraordinary repair bills. I bought our last car for cash, how stupid it was that I didn't get a very low/no interest loan available at the time and put that $18,000 in a high interest investment. Oh, well, live and learn.

Approaching old age (not yet in my mind), I am invoking my old man rant privilege. I recently told my wife I am almost old enough to slump behind the steering wheel (peering over) while drive 20 under the speed limit just to annoy the young'uns in a hurry, LOL.

No one says you can’t take a loan, but cars without loans aren’t repossessed by banks if you don’t make the bill. My only thought is if people are buying too expensive of vehicles or just being less frugal elsewhere. My wife expressed interest in a vehicle at a price that I would never consider for a car. It took some explanation as to why that would not happen. I don’t think it offered any more experience than the car we decided on except status. It was even the same manufacturer.

I’m not against a loan altogether. Her car has a small loan on it. It wasn’t our original plan to borrow money for it, but her vehicle at the time wasn’t going to get any cheaper to maintain which was sad for a low miles 8 year old vehicle. I want new vehicles with warranties, but there’s a balance. I would not borrow the whole sales cost and I want it to still be in warranty after paid off. I don’t follow that Dave guy too close because I am a new car buyer. I’m just not an $80k car buyer.

The first new car I ever bought is my 2011 which I paid off in 2016. Payment was $262/mo. I still drive it. Next car I’d like to pay off entirely within the first month or so. Writing a huge check and feeling the pain will probably keep me from buying too much car.

The payment on my truck sucks big time, I put no money down and rolled over a bit of negative equity to buy it.

But on the other hand, having the utility said truck provides is priceless to us and I have wanted a 4th gen Ram since 2009. I love that truck, I wouldn’t trade it for even a Hellcat Challenger.

It’s best to buy something in your budget and not be financially stretched.

Repo men very busy across the USA with all the defaults and people no longer making vehicle payments.

Its OK to drive a $7000 Civic or Corolla and have a few months of salary / safety net saved up in case of recession, job loss or hours at work cut due to a slowdown in business.

In healthcare if the census at hospital drops….. managers will start sending nurses home early due to lower patient volume, sometimes there are Call Offs and not needed that day. Nurses and other clinical staff get mad because now they have to start using hours from their PTO ‘bucket’ to pay the bills.

No need for a younger nurse to drive a fancy car with big monthly payments. Many doctors drive a $30-40K vehicle.

Last edited:
No one says you can’t take a loan, but cars without loans aren’t repossessed by banks if you don’t make the bill. My only thought is if people are buying too expensive of vehicles or just being less frugal elsewhere. My wife expressed interest in a vehicle at a price that I would never consider for a car. It took some explanation as to why that would not happen. I don’t think it offered any more experience than the car we decided on except status. It was even the same manufacturer.

I’m not against a loan altogether. Her car has a small loan on it. It wasn’t our original plan to borrow money for it, but her vehicle at the time wasn’t going to get any cheaper to maintain which was sad for a low miles 8 year old vehicle. I want new vehicles with warranties, but there’s a balance. I would not borrow the whole sales cost and I want it to still be in warranty after paid off. I don’t follow that Dave guy too close because I am a new car buyer. I’m just not an $80k car buyer.

Which vehicle did your wife want ?

I know this is about a car truck or SUV. I’m not in sales but see some of the paper work come thats comes over the fax machine. What I can’t believe is some of the payments I see on commercial and home owner lawn equipment. We sell Commercial and home owner zero turns. I can understand the big payments for some of the commercial equipment because they are making money from it. What shocks me is some home owner loan payments. $200 or higher is common. And some of these people need co-signers or bigger down payments because of low credit scores. I don’t get it.

I have Gen Z kids and they are surprisingly careful with money ( young adults now) There is hope for America yet…
My son (14yo) is also quite careful with money. His friends down the street, not so much.

Funny story from about 2yrs ago. My son was telling me how the oldest of the boys down the street is always in debt to his brother & my son. I told my son to draw up a contract for a loan that charges interest or a "flat rate" agreed upon payment. He did. He went online & found a few examples of an informal peer to peer loan & wrote in an agreed "fee" of $5 weekly for every $20 loaned then had the boys mother sign it as well as the boy. The boys mother thought it was a great idea to teach the teen about the additional cost of borrowing money. My son did well with that until my wife heard about it about 6mo later. I wasn't around to speak any reason into her & by the time I was home from work the damage was done. I told my wife she's lucky he didn't write a contract for her since she's always borrowing cash from our son lol.

Haven't had a car payment in many years and no plans to buy another car but if we need a new vehicle, planning to lease the next one.

Never had a car payment. The "Newest" vehicle I've ever owned is the 2008 Volvo in the sig. Paid $5,000 cash for it just a couple months ago for the wife. I'm very low income. I've learned quite a bit over the years about financials & it's quite interesting. The american household is a debt'd one. I do have $10k left on the mortgage but I have much more money than that saved up so I have debt but I'm not in debt sort of speak. I think getting on ones feet borrowing money can be an excellent resource but then one needs to live within their means majority of the time.

No car payment as the Maverick is paid for. Saw a YouTube video this morning where a dude financed at 7.2% and thought that was OK. 🤯

No car payment as the Maverick is paid for. Saw a YouTube video this morning where a dude financed at 7.2% and thought that was OK. 🤯
New or used? I think rates are like that? haven't looked in a while.

Looks like Bank of America is 6.19% for new, 6.59 used, 7.49 refi. The bank our mortgage with is listing 7.99 for new (interest, APR is higher), quickly going towards 12% (but only out to 2017).

So 7.2% isn't bad. It sure ain't the 1.9% I had once, let alone 0% on a different car.

On my recently bought Corolla it was 7.8% which IIRC was inline with other banks for a 2 year old car. [Paid it off as I didn't like the terms, plus I could.]

Everyone has a different tolerance for both risk and the “stress overhead” of servicing a loan. I borrowed money for my first car out of college (a used 1987 Regal T-type) because I really wanted the car and I didn’t have the cash. By today's standards it was a paltry loan with an inconsequential monthly payment. The problem for me was that owing money on the car took away a lot of the pleasure of owning the first nice (and genuinely fast) car I’d ever had.

After a few years of working for other people, I set up my own business and went out on my own. This was great, and I really am not wired for the corporate world of salaries and unpaid overtime, but for the most part I was a one-man show, which also meant one project (customer) at a time. So now I made a lot of money when I was working, but the income wasn’t steady. (the parlance in the business for gaps between contracts/consulting gigs is a ‘contractor vacation’). So with a mortgage, and a little later a family, debt became an anathema to me. The only other loan we have ever taken was the mortgage on the house, which we worked hard to pay off early, and much later a home equity loan to rebuild the house and garage (also paid off early). I wanted to be able to flip burgers and support the family without worrying about losing the house.

Yes, the opportunity cost is real, and we could have put that money to other uses and probably been richer for it, but neither of us is comfortable doing that, and peace of mind has value. Anyway, if you want to talk about opportunity cost, consider that by first me then my wife staying home with the kids for a total if fourteen years we gave up fourteen years of an engineering salary, which hugely outweighed any gains we could have realized from investing the money we used to pay down the house. But for us, it was worth it. It’s all about choices, and what we did wouldn’t work for others and vice versa, and I don’t make value judgements about other’s spending, as long as I’m not asked to pick up the pieces if it all goes south. You want an eighty thousand dollar truck, and you can make the payments? If that’s what makes you happy, go for it.

Eventually I went with a company that offered a good salary, great opportunities, and compensates engineers for extra hours. I still drive what many here would consider old beaters at best, and probably penalty boxes, and at this point I can drive whatever I want to (which, come to think of it, I do), but I really don’t care that much. I did have a BMW 840ci for a while, and it was nice, but man, did I ever get tired of its entitlement issues. We have a fleet that we are happy with and that I understand and can work on, and they provide either driving engagement (NA Miata, EK Civic, and a WRX, for example) or utility (Full size extend cab truck with an 8’ bed). We are happy and debt free and intend to stay that way.

New or used? I think rates are like that? haven't looked in a while.

Looks like Bank of America is 6.19% for new, 6.59 used, 7.49 refi. The bank our mortgage with is listing 7.99 for new (interest, APR is higher), quickly going towards 12% (but only out to 2017).

So 7.2% isn't bad. It sure ain't the 1.9% I had once, let alone 0% on a different car.

On my recently bought Corolla it was 7.8% which IIRC was inline with other banks for a 2 year old car. [Paid it off as I didn't like the terms, plus I could.]
It was on a new 2024 Maverick lariat. MSRP was $35K. He financed $27K. Interest over 5 years was over $5K. ouch

It was on a new 2024 Maverick lariat. MSRP was $35K. He financed $27K. Interest over 5 years was over $5K. ouch
$5k, ouch indeed. On mine I financed I think $19k. When getting the payoff quote I was told was accruing $4 per day. When I looked at the lifestyle creep that I’m fighting in life, I realized I’d rather spend that $4 there instead.

Now if I could get rid of my mortgage, now that is some real money lost every day!

No car payment.
My '02 Camry I paid $1600 for it to an elderly relative rather than sell it it CarMax for the same price. I've put 42k miles commuting since June of '22. Having a payment for something I drive that far
My '05 LeSabre...way too much, during the height of the pandemic. But it makes me happy and I paid cash.

When I can get ~25% off of MSRP and under 3% I'll probably buy a new F150. If that never happens again, I guess my 2018 F150 better last until Father Time say's times up.....

I'm seeing quite a few at 10% off of MSRP, so that's getting better, but 3% right now is a pipe dream, at least at either of my 2 credit unions.

Everything was paid for until the truck got wrecked. I just have the truck payment now. 4 year loan. I financed about 14,500 on the 24.

Back