Your Opinion Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd probably stash the $500/month into a mutual fund or 529. If you were currently driving a soul-killing appliance I'd advise buying something enjoyable- if only to prevent you from dying of boredom. However, your GTI is a truly great hot hatch so I'd stick with it.

Thank You very much everyone for all your input, advice, and your personal stories.

All this has given me much to think about. I am leaning towards just holding onto this GTI. It has been trouble free and is so fun to drive, even stock.

I am just a car enthusiast, and like a drug addict or any type of addiction, you always try to find a reason to do something you really shouldn't be doing. haha.

I value the opinions of others, and again Thank You for taking the time to post.

Much Appreciated my friends...

Jeff

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Do you mind if I ask what the nature of your medical retirement was for? Everything I've read says it has one of the harshest rides of the econo-box-on-steroids cars. The GTI is pretty low, but have you gotten into and out of the RS to see if it's just as easily accessed?

I'm going to be blunt - buying a car in your current situation seems like a VERY poor decision. Everything you've said so far make it seem as if you and/or your wife have a habit of making bad financial decisions. At your age you should have a substantial savings for retirement. If the amount of money you have in the bank isn't even what the car costs, then that's much, much worse! It's true that we only live once, but I have to agree with other posters, that your car is pretty amazing and the stress of having such a large added expense may make things unduly stressful some time in the future.

Also, do you have funds to cover your son and maybe help your daughter get through college?

I hope the best for you, but I feel like you're posting for some (not even close the the majority of posters) to justify your impulsive purchase. If this is the case, good luck and post pics!
thumbsup2.gif

The basis of my Industrial Disability Retirement, or better known as a "Medical Retirement" was due to an injury while working as a Peace Officer for the State of California.

Due to injury, and that State Workers Comp did not want to endorse the surgery to correct the problem, they settled with me, and have me at 11% permanent disabled. How they put a percent on anything is crazy but they do.

My injury is to my lower back. I cannot pass range qualifications due to the injury that is now over 3 yrs old. My work will only make short term accommodations not long term, and since I would have to work a minimum of 6 more yrs to qualify for a Service Retirement through my MOU I had very few options.

My work suggested I apply for the Industrial Disability through my Retirement system. It was either that, or take a Medical Demotion to non peace officer status, making upwards of 50% less and having to retire at non peace officer MOU which would be a very bad idea being in my MOU as a State Peace Officer for over 22 yrs. I could have resigned as well.

I THANK GOD that the Industrial Retirement did get approved. I get 50% of my gross income tax free and get to keep my medical benefits. Granted, this all sounds good, but I am losing almost $2000 a month in income, and when I reach age 50 and could have retired with a Service Retirement my pay will be about $1200 less.

So in a way it works out for everyone. The State is not responsible for me any longer. I dont have to worry about getting fired due to not being able to meet the minimum qualifications for the job due to the work injury, and the Retirement system pays out less over the long term saving them money.

So in a way, everyone kinda wins? Though I am in pain everyday, and really have had to readjust my whole lifestyle. I am healthy though, and grateful for what I do have. I am grateful to the State for helping me, and if it was not for this opportunity? I would basically be in very very bad financial shape.

Hope this answers your question? Its a long story, goes back over 3 yrs and I am just grateful its over.

As a Peace Officer my final decision after 22+ yrs of Service was this, If I could not defend myself or others from harm I should not be there. When I realized that I could not help others or myself in those dangerous of times, when you need Help the most? Its time for me to go.

Anyway, was very difficult for me. Thinking about it all. Yeah, I am so happy its over. So much Stress.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: dishdude
GTI to a Focus? No thanks.

+1

Thanks Guys
thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

I'd stay with the GTI. I had a Focus several years back and it was a lemon. Maybe they are better quality now? Who knows. Save your money for more important things (and this is coming from a guy that has owned WAY too many vehicles).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

There is the side of me that says, you only live once, do what makes you happy, then the rational side that says, your an idiot save your money....

Jeff

The Focus RS is a very cool car. I think it's better than the EVO ever was. A friend has one with just a tune, nothing else. Impressive! I'm not here to claim it's the fastest car around, it's not. But it's a great balance of performance.

1/4 mile 13.4 @ 103 stock. 12.4-12.7 @ 105-115 with tune, depending on the tune and bolt on's.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

There is the side of me that says, you only live once, do what makes you happy, then the rational side that says, your an idiot save your money....

Jeff

The Focus RS is a very cool car. I think it's better than the EVO ever was. A friend has one with just a tune, nothing else. Impressive! I'm not here to claim it's the fastest car around, it's not. But it's a great balance of performance.

1/4 mile 13.4 @ 103 stock. 12.4-12.7 @ 105-115 with tune, depending on the tune and bolt on's.

I appreciate your comment. My thoughts.

I have owned 4 Evo's over the years. 1 Evo 8, 2 Evo 9's and 1 X. Of which I bought, or should I say financed all of them new.

My 9 MR bone stock according to all the rags out there ran 0-6 in 4.6 1/4 13.0 stock. I had mine tuned to 340whp on pump gas. All stock internals minus cams. I ran mid 11's in the 1/4 and did so for over 5 yrs before I sold the car. Never had ONE FAILURE in over 5 yrs.

So do I think the RS is as good as my 11 yr old Evo 9? No. Nothing beats all mechanicals IMO. The Evo had mechanical difs front and rear, electronic transfer case. Excellent Road car, I daily drove mine, and tracked it as well.

I regret selling my Evo 9. The X I am not a fan of. The Evo 6.5 TME and the Evo 9 IMO opinion were the best Evo's Made.

The RS? I love the car. I love that Ford made it and actually sent it here to the USA for once. I find it so funny that we Americans must IMPORT a Ford From Germany. Makes me laugh.

The RS is a car I have wanted to own. I know what its capable of, I know what it can do. BUT its NO EVO.

Maybe watch this? It kinda sums it up. (I realize its an Evo X but it still sums it up) As of now. I am sticking with the GTI I feel that is the best Financial thing to do at this point in time. Growing up sucks, and I am 44 saying this. haha. I must admit though, the people posting here....are right.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

I like your wheels you already have; they're similar to mine. They would look black, though.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your ride very nice
thumbsup2.gif

The wheels on my VW are called "Laguna" Mine are in the 18x8 size, I am sure your Challenger takes a bigger wheel haha. I get many comments on these particular wheels, I always thought they had a nice BBS old school style and I like them allot.

I like how VW like Dodge does allot of "throw back" stuff to remember the OG's of the model. On my GTI there are many references to the original GTI from the 70's. The Plaid seats, the golf ball shifter, the red stripes on the grill, the wheels, and the color. The "Shadow Blue" was one of the original colors.

I am not sure why I am so fixated on wanting a new car. You guys are all right, the GTI I have, and actually own is a great car. I am not sure why I want to get into debt for something I really dont need. Since my medical retirement, I dont really drive much and when I do drive its usually my 2000 dodge caravan just because its easier for me to get in and out of (back injury).

In the family we have 4 cars currently: 2000 Dodge Caravan Sport, 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 2013 VW GTI, and a 2015 Nissan Titan Crew Cab SV 4x4. Except for the Truck all are paid for.

So I dont "need" a car. That is for sure. Just missing my track days I guess. Trying to re live the good ol' days in my head I suppose.

Really Appreciate all your input and advice, along with sharing your stories. Thank You everyone for your time and replies
thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

In the family we have 4 cars currently: 2000 Dodge Caravan Sport, 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 2013 VW GTI, and a 2015 Nissan Titan Crew Cab SV 4x4. Except for the Truck all are paid for.

Who owns all those cars? How many miles on the GTI? I know you said family but earlier you said that you're single, have your own place etc. At least that's what I thought.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Who owns all those cars? How many miles on the GTI? I know you said family but earlier you said that you're single, have your own place etc. At least that's what I thought.

It is a long story, and though I am not "married" I have been with my Girlfriend for about 9 yrs. How my post was written was a cliff note version and some parts were difficult to explain.

The purpose of the RS potential buy was to get back something kinda sorta like the Evo 9 MR I had that I had to sell due to my Divorce. My ex wife and I legally separated in 2007, we are just know going through the actual divorce stuff because we both have partners. Long story to why we did the Legal Separation vs. a Divorce in the beginning.

Everything involved with the ex wife was just a financial nightmare. Bills were not getting paid (not due to me, but bills were in both our names so) OMG just thinking about everything was just horrible.

My pride and joy was well my kids of course, but my 2006 Evo MR I bought new was my baby too. Had to seel it in 2012 to pay for attorney fees for a BK and the Divorce.

Since the Evo is not in production any longer, and most used ones are beat to [censored], I wanted to get something like it. The only car that comes to mind is the RS. Its raw, and rough, just like the Evo was. A Subaru STI is nice, but for the money you just get so much more out of the Ford. The Golf R is too expensive and not as hard core if that makes sense. Plus having a GTI already, to me? A Golf R isn't really much different in many aspects.

So, all the cars I listed. I bought the GTI new in 2013 with help with my folks, paid that off after 4 yrs. The Sonata is my GF's car, it was paid off this year, the Truck we bought because my GF needed a truck for her work, but we didn't want to trade the Sonata in because it wasn't worth much, and since we have kids close to drivers age, we figured to keep it for the kids. The Van, was my sisters, my Dad and I bought it off of here several years ago. My Parents are moving to AZ and didn't want to take it with them, so I am keeping it. Its the one vehicle that is actually the easiest for me to get in and out of due to my back injury.

I hope this makes sense? Its a L O N G story but you all are getting the cliff note version. I am sorry for that. Dont want to bore you with details of my boring life. haha.

Lessons learned. Dont get divorced unless you really really have to. ( I had to), Dont sell a car you love unless you really really have to (I had to), and SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Its difficult being a car guy. In particular a "performance" car guy. It really is a "Lifestyle" and one I loved and enjoyed. It made me feel like I was a part of something outside the daily stuff. Track meets, car shows, hanging out at the burger joint B S ing about cars. Loved those times.

Silly I know, just wanted to get back into that world again. Maybe my time for that came and went. I dont know. Just miss it.

Here is a photo of my 2006 Evo 9 MR on the dyno...it made 340AWHP on 91 pump, stock internals (minus cams) ran it like that for 5 yrs zero issues.
[img:left]
gZwpEnsl.jpg
[/img]
[img:left]
LYelXDrl.jpg
[/img]
Good Times...

Jeff

Last edited:
Gonna mirror what everybody else said; keep the GTI. An APR or Unitronic tune should be what cures your performance bug. It would be like having a new car all over again. Wanting to go with that route with my MK7 GTI eventually when my warranty runs out.

Ok thank you for the update there. What kind of wheels are those in the first picture? Look very nice!

I'm going to go with the general flow here but be warned...I'm going to be a little harsh sounding.

You say you're, "leaning towards keeping the GTI". I got news for you, if you lean the other way you're going to go down a deep hole.
Your circumstances severely limit "what you can want".
I worked with a recovering heroin addict who wasn't too smart in the first place. He used to drink a lot of beer and father kids....but he liked Jeeps.
You sound like him......a consumer (a term I use perjoratively).

I know it's cool to have deep interests and we BITOGers have a deeper appreciation of gadgets etc. but you cannot afford it, PERIOD.
Frankly, going by your "car ownership possibility details", you sound a little possessed. Try learning a musical instrument.

Since you're former Peace Officer I suppose I should get on line to kiss your shoelaces but that's not the way I'm wired.
Life ain't no beer commercial.

Go the savings route, experience the dependability built into today's cars and make keeping your eyes peeled for a great deal from a private seller your new hobby even if it's an interim hobby.

Good Morning folks,

I have came to this forum for help in a different way than usual. Not the oil break down what is best (whatever that means right) oil out there, but I am here today for help with something else.

I came here due to the vast types of people here and they are all not car enthusiasts like I am, so I am trying to get a non car biased opinion as possible.

All this is over a potential Car Purchase.

For some on this forum that know me, I am an avid car enthusiast. Have been for as long as I remember. Over the years, I have been very fortunate to own some very nice performance cars, nothing crazy like Ferrari or anything, but I have been an avid WRC fan since I was a child, and I grew up loving Rally Cars.

in 2003 I purchased my first one a Lancer Evolution 8. Then in 2006 bought 2 more Lancer Evo's selling, or trading up each time. In 2012 I bought my 4th Evo, an Evo X GSR.

Unfortunately, in that same year I divorced my wife, could not afford the car payment any longer, and had to sell the car. At that time, my finances took a serious nose dive to the dirt. I had to sell my car, lost my home to foreclosure, and moved in with my folks. This was not easy being in my 40's and a father of 2 kids.

I knew though I had to start over. The Divorce devastated me in many ways. I was able to get a used Hyundai Elantra to drive around in and had that for about 6 months when I handed the keys over to the ex wife. Long story on her car. Anyway, she wanted to buy some [censored] car that was salvaged and I felt for my kids that it just wouldn't be safe. So I gave her the keys to my Elantra so my kids could at least be in somewhat safe car.

I was borrowing cars from friends I knew that had extras, and my Dad came up to me and said he would help me get another car, he thought what I did with my car was the right thing to do and he was so kind to sign for a new car for me. Mind you I was working as a State Employee, had stable income and all, just my credit was shot from the Divorce that led to many financial problems as a result of such.

I chose a VW GTI as a good compromise. Fun to drive, reasonable affordable and not too crazy to maintain.

I bought the VW new in Jan 2013. In Feb 2017 I paid off the VW and in the first time in a LONG time I actually OWNED a nice car.

Now, my credit has bounced back, I am in a home again, but due to a work injury I applied for a medical retirement and I was very grateful to get approved. My income is 50% of what it used to be, but I am getting by ok.

I have been thinking so much about something I can do for myself to help bring me up. I have been pretty down after the retirement, divorce stuff, just everything. One thing that always gave me pleasure was my rally cars. I realize now I cant race in any capacity, I cant turn wrenches on cars like I used to, but to drive one again.

I have this opportunity to buy a new 2017 Ford Focus RS. Price is right, options I want, color I want. I can trade in my VW, have a good down with the car so my payment would be where I could pay for it. Not sure what insurance will be, probably more than I am paying now I am sure. All and all the new car would probably cost me $500-$550 a month, vs my GTI is costing me about $60 a month to own.

I begin thinking about how I should be saving, and not spending, how I should take that money towards the car payments I would have to make, and apply it towards my kids college fund, or just stash the money under the mattress every month.

I know coming here may not be the best thing, but I would like to get a non biased opinion on what you would do? What do you folks think I should do?

Sure there are many factors here, but with the info I provided, which way would you sway?? Do it because you want to?? Or dont because you want to save the money for a rainy day or something?

Sorry its so long winded here, just a cliff note version actually....Your thoughts, advice and Opinions are much appreciated.

Jeff

Stick with what you're currently driving. Your car payment would be more than my mortgage. Put that money towards your home as it shouldn't depreciate in value like a car would.

With that siad, your car buying history and mine are very different. I view my cars as A-B with basic necessities such as xm raido, heated seats, and safe.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Ok thank you for the update there. What kind of wheels are those in the first picture? Look very nice!

I am assuming you mean the first photos with the VW? If so, those are the factory wheels from VW. They are called Laguna's. They came as an option package. On Mid year 13's, or 2014's of the same model, they came on the "Drivers Editon". When I bought my VW there was no "Drivers Edition" they were just an optional wheel package.

I personally like these rims the most out of all the wheel/tire options that were available at the time.

Thank You for your post and comment.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back