Just for fun, how are you enjoying your car payment

Brah! Some much this. ^

If you can afford to pay cash for a vehicle, consider yourself in the top 1% of the population on the planet…. One should be thankful for being so fortunate and able to reap the benefits of their hard work vs being judgmental of others for not being in same position.
I’m not trying to be insensitive but it’s more behavior based than income based. Yes more money helps, but being responsible goes a long way to that. I spend 15 years thinking I was doing great financially but making poor decisions along the way. I wish I was smarter about it back then. My current finances would look way different now if I had been more responsible back then.

I’m not trying to be insensitive but it’s more behavior based than income based. Yes more money helps, but being responsible goes a long way to that. I spend 15 years thinking I was doing great financially but making poor decisions along the way. I wish I was smarter about it back then. My current finances would look way different now if I had been more responsible back then.
Just about anybody could say that. You can always "regret" past decisions. In hindsight I should have kept every house I lived in-and not sold them when I bought another.

You are driving a Tesla-you are not doing too bad....apparently!

Behavior plays a huge role. There is no doubting that. Probably only second to circumstance (ie, being born in a first world country or being from a higher economic class.) I mean think about America and how lucky we are to be here. A place where one can actually reap the benefits of their hard work through financial mindfulness and investing. There are plenty of other places in the world where no matter how hard you work you will never get out of poverty.

My last Subaru I took 3 years at 0% financing. Only did payments because I took the financing and they lowered the price. (kick backs)
Made 3 payments and paid off the balance. Gave the Subaru away and drive no more. Life is less expensive not having a car for sure.

Behavior plays a huge role. There is no doubting that. Probably only second to circumstance (ie, being born in a first world country or being from a higher economic class.) I mean think about America and how lucky we are to be here. A place where one can actually reap the benefits of their hard work through financial mindfulness and investing. There are plenty of other places in the world where no matter how hard you work you will never get out of poverty.
To add to your post, America is even more than that. I made every mistake in the book. Finally at the end of my rope, I joined AA at 33. Got my 1st degree at 40, thanks to the California promise of low cost quality education from the Community and State Colleges.
In most countries and even in most of America I might have salvaged a decent life, but the incredible Silicon Valley opportunity has been very good to me. Opportunity abounds here. It's amazing.

For me at least, again, the hardest lessons are the best lessons.

this may be true

$729

Average Monthly Car Payments As of 2023, the average monthly car payment for new vehicles is $729. This is a 24.4% increase from 2022, according to the second quarter Experian State of the Automotive Finance
So if you have 2 autos , that would be 1400 and some change...add a rent or house payment and you have a huge budget,,,,if you work at Dollar General or Wilma"s Diner its gotta be tough,,,this is why I drive a 10 year old F150 and I dont work nowdays...retired...I forgot to add child care and you most likely are spending all you make..............its ok to live at home,,where you grew up, makes sense to me...
My car payment is $485 or so. I don't really enjoy it, but considering I put about 35,000mi per year on my car, I need something newer and reliable.

We have a payment on my wife's car but we pay extra to get it done early. Didn't want to finance that one either but needs changed which dictated a fast purchase and I was low on cash at the time and rates were low too. My personal preference though is older paid for cars with no payments.

We have a payment on my wife's car but we pay extra to get it done early. Didn't want to finance that one either but needs changed which dictated a fast purchase and I was low on cash at the time and rates were low too. My personal preference though is older paid for cars with no payments.
My preference is new cars with a payment....seriously.

Brah! Some much this. ^

If you can afford to pay cash for a vehicle, consider yourself in the top 1% of the population on the planet…. One should be thankful for being so fortunate and able to reap the benefits of their hard work vs being judgmental of others for not being in same position.
I am personally grateful that if we need a car we can simply buy one with no drama and a bit of brass knuckles bargaining from me since we can always walk away.
There are many less fortunate fellow citizens who still need wheels to get to work, as well as to shop, take the kids to the doctor and to sports practice and so on.
I would never look down on someone who buys a car with payments, since they need that car as badly as I need mine.
In most areas of our country, there is no other option since convenient public transit doesn't exist and I'd hate to have to rely on Uber and Lyft for anything more than occasional use since they aren't all that reliable for time-sensitive transportation.

Bought my Genesis in May, $462 a month. Only owe about $11k on it. Will probably pay it off next year.

Not sure what a van goes for, but unless if your tradein was good value, that isn’t bad money.

New cars have nasty reg&ins.
No trade - we gave the Mazda5 to our younger son, and paid cash for the Grand Caravan. The 5 was a great vehicle, but too small for our present needs. I'd like to go back to something that size when the Dodge dies.

Bought a car on payments once and realized I spent more then I would have liked to on payments vs cash in hand. My wife and I said never again and paid it off in one year working about extra .

These types of threads often annoy me in that they attract "holier than thou" types that preach that borrowing money/buying new is evil and cannot be done under any circumstances. The truth is, responsible people can and do get loans all the time while still managing their money wisely. For all the people claiming how great they did buying used cars, I "suspect" there are equal numbers that got hosed with extraordinary repair bills. I bought our last car for cash, how stupid it was that I didn't get a very low/no interest loan available at the time and put that $18,000 in a high interest investment. Oh, well, live and learn.

Approaching old age (not yet in my mind), I am invoking my old man rant privilege. I recently told my wife I am almost old enough to slump behind the steering wheel (peering over) while drive 20 under the speed limit just to annoy the young'uns in a hurry, LOL.

Last edited:
Back