Just bought an NB Miata! What oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says it all. Mine is an NB1 1.8L, meaning no VVT. OM states to use 10w-30 over 32 F, and 5w-30 under 40 F. I'm thinking that 0w-30 will be just fine? The car will only be driven in warm weather and garaged and stored during the winter. Engine has been well maintained and it runs like a top with 122,000 miles on the clock.

10w/30 may not be a bad choice: cold weather starts aren't an issue and 10w/30 has, for example, naturally low volatility.

If I recall correctly, the NA/NB Miatas have hydraulic valve lifters that are prone to clogging so be vigilant about oil change intervals and use a high quality oil. With that generation and age, Mobil1 High Mieage 10w/30 would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
OM states to use 10w-30 over 32 F, and 5w-30 under 40 F. The car will only be driven in warm weather and garaged and stored during the winter.

I don't see why you want to deviate from the factory recommendation? Mobil 1 10W30 or Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 would be great choices for this automobile. You said yourself that it will only be driven in warm weather. 0W30 will offer no benefit in this scenario.

If you're going to do a lot of short tripping then 0w30 for sure, even if you're driving in warm weather, 0w helps minimize wear during cold starts.

If you're going to drive it hard/track it then 10w30 for the lower NOACK & higher HTHS vis.

10w-30 or 5w-30 in winter months. I have an "NA" with over 200K and have used just about everything. Honestly, these engines are great on oil and I would just go with a 5-7k OCI.

Keep the cooling system fresh and stick with a major brand and you'll be fine.

The NB had solid tappets and did not suffer the start up chatter than some NA'a tend to.

I have an NB and use 5W/30 all year round in the UK.

eddie

I run M1 0W-40 in mine. It's a track rat, though, but I ran the same while it was on the street. A 0W-30 would be just fine, too. These things are not very picky. This is the chart from the Australian owner's manual, you can see it is all over the place:

ausoilvischart.jpg

robert

Any 5w-30 synthetic will be fine. What ever you can get for a good price/sale. They are not picky. I ran PP 5w-30 in my '01.

With the $5 coupon at Walmart, I'd run edge most likely right now. Or the aap deal on synpower if you want to wait for the rebate.

Like someone else said, the Miata is not finicky about oil weight. I use synthetic 5w-30 in my NA. Many on Miata.net use Mobil 0w-40 which seems to help with lifter tic. I would use 0w-30 without hesitation.

Congrats on the purchase; how 'bout some pics?

Congrats on the fun car purchase!

If you're going to buy synthetic oil, I fail to see a reason to buy anything other than a 0W grade. I've never seen an argument made where some oil thickening as it cools is desirable. Sure, you may never start it in 0 deg F weather, but even at 80 deg F, you're likely to experience oil that's closer to the intended "30 grade" with a 0W-30 than with a 5W- or a 10W-30.

If you're contemplating between synthetic 0W-30 or conventional 5W-30 or 10W-30, then that's something else (in my opinion), because you now have to weigh in a cost delta. But if you're paying the same for a 0W-30 and a 10W-30, I think the benefits of the 0W-30 (easier starting in nearly all temperatures) outweigh benefits of the 10W-30 (lower NOACK).

Be cautious about spec'ing an oil grade without a service category. Basic Oil 101.
All ACEA B4 0w30 will be MUCH more viscous than an ILSAC GF5 10w30 from near freezing beyond OP temp. Likely any API CJ cat oil will be more viscous than a same grade current ILSAC resource conserving lube. Most ILSAC 0W are still not synthetic. (regardless of packaging ad copy)

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Be cautious about spec'ing an oil grade without a service category. Basic Oil 101.
All ACEA B4 0w30 will be MUCH more viscous than an ILSAC GF5 10w30 from near freezing beyond OP temp...

Given the context of the question (and the OP's location in the world), I think it's probably assumed that he's not shopping ACEA A3 lubricants. But yes, your point is well-taken.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Most ILSAC 0W are still not synthetic. (regardless of packaging ad copy)

You've got that backwards.
Virtually all 0W-XX oils are synthetic. There are a couple of syn' blends that you can count them on one hand.

To the OP, any 5W-30 will work just fine is the modestly powered
Miata including M1 AFE 0W-30. If you were interested in optimizing your viscosity choice that would require installing an oil pressure gauge or at least checking your OP. A track acquantance of mine ran M1 0W-20 with good results in his MX-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back