just bought an '06 Mercury Montego

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was eyeing-up a blue '07 Ford Fusion from about 75 miles away. Distance & location is important as buying a used car here in the Nashville area is a chancey proposition given the huge floods we had earlier this year. When the wife saw the ad for the Montego today, it was hard to argue as both cars were priced about the same but the Montego has more room for the humans inside...a good thing indeed.

2006 Montego FWD in really nice shape, all maintenance records and impeccable interior (looks new!). Only two things "wrong" with it: no moonroof (yeah, I know, used car buyers are like beggars, we can't be too choosy) and it only has the base CD player. Gotta get a better audio head unit and maybe even speakers. I'd even settle for an '08 - '10 head unit (if they directly fit in there) as long as it has an MP3 jack for external devices.

Back to the car...black, with gray leather interior. Paint is in really good condition, dual climate control (wifey loves that feature...no...wait *I* love that feature!), rear disc brakes, professional-looking darkened windows (all of them), sorry no bidet option
lol.gif

We'll pick it up tomorrow. I can't believe I bought a Ford. Now I'm like my dad.
lol.gif

Now, carting around people won't be such a painful experience for those sitting in the back seats. Heck, it won't be as painful for anyone in any seats...ever try to shoe-horn your body into an old Saturn? Not fun, I have a bad back, so the up-right seating of the 500..er...Montego is a huge plus.

Now should I rename my account here "MercuryNSaturn"? Hmmm. maybe not, people will think I'm into astronomy. lol

"What's the best oil for my Duratec 3.0L V6?"
grin2.gif

OK, few questions:
What's a good site for such cars on the internet. There's Saturnfans.com for Saturns, what site for 500's/Montegos? (or is that Montegoes? hmmm...)

Amsoil ATF OK for this trans?

Will an '08 - '10 MP3 radio easily swap in to replace the blah unit in this '06?

So...the '01 Saturn will be fixed, then sold (needs an A/C compressor). I have been driving Saturns for 19 years and 1 month (July 27, 1991). It's been a great run for those little plastic cars and enjoyed the "family" feeling the first few years, but it's time to move on.

Nice car...made by my new favorite domestic brand...FORD.
I would use the Motorcraft 5w20/Motorcraft oil filter combo which is available and cheap at WM.
Do you know if it has the CVT tranny....if so, the fluid is expensive.
Good Luck with her.

I'll be honest and say that I had to google Mercury Montego. I thought it was an SUV.
54.gif
Oh, we need pics!
thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I'll be honest and say that I had to google Mercury Montego. I thought it was an SUV.

Elena, are you reading this? This is your fault!!

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
6spd trans. Were the CVT units bad news?

I don't think the CVT's were bad/problematic, but I know the fluid is expensive. The dealer quoted my s-i-l over $300 for the required 60K ATF change on her Freestyle (which is really a Ford 500 wagon). I called a few dealers and one quoted me $250, so it pays to shop around.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

WOW, $250 for a CVT OC. Good heads up to never purchase a vehicle that is due for a CVT OC without first getting the cost of that OC taken off of the price.

That's dealership prices. The DIYer can have the CVT service done with all OEM parts for about $120-$130, including fluid, pan filter and high pressure filter. Service is only required every 60K.

Just make sure that high pressure filter is pressed into the housing securely before you bolt the cover back on, I've read about a few guys who probably shouldn't be doing their own work toasting their CVTs this way.

It's not a bad job, I've done the service on my Mom's '05 Freestyle.

The 6-spd in your car is the Aisin-Warner tranny used in the '05-'06-'07 Ford 500/Mercury Montego models. I believe that Ford used plain old Mercon V in these tranny's.

These cars are very roomy and really comfortable touring cars. They just float smoothly down the road. The trunk is absolutely huge, which is not a good thing when the wife goes shopping. Enjoy the car.

Mercury Montego....brings back memories. I had a 1971 Mercury Monterey back in the mid 1970's....fully loaded! What a muscle car and great highway ride that monster car was! Those were the days!

Thanks guys.

84K, cream-puff condition. I have read a lot about how the Duratec engines are good ones on here. Had to get me one: )

Thanks for the trans info, too. When did Ford start/stop offering the CVT in this model/500?

The last year for the CVT was '07, in '08 Ford upgraded the engine to the 3.5L and the tranny became the joint venture Ford/GM 6-spd auto. As nice as the 3.0L Duratec is, the 3.5L is many, many times nicer.

My parents have an 07 AWD (CVT), and love it. They haven't had any issues with it. Power/acceleration is adequate -- even surprising for a vehicle that heavy. I'd suggest going aftermarket on the radio. It will be cheaper, and sound much better.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Another Ford on the board! Seems to be a positive trend as of late!

Oh, yes! It's a sheer revolution in the making!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back