2011 Mazda6i 7,500 miles Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my Mazda6 for a few months and now that I have almost 7,500 miles on it I think I have spent enough time to give the car a fair and solid review for those curious. The Mazda 6i Sport is the base model with no included options.

What I like:

I love the paint on this car. Period.

One of my favorite things about the car is the seats. Mazda really did a great job on the front seats...they are firm and supportive I find them comfortable on long trips. This is a huge plus to me because my old Saturn would literally become painful to sit in after a few hours of a trip. When I have passengers in the back for long trips they are pleased with the amount of legroom they have and even comment on how comfortable it is.

Being somewhat of an enthusiast, I love the steering on this car. The steering exudes confidence and Mazda did an excellent job of keeping the “road feel” in the steering wheel. Perhaps some can understand what I am talking about…some cars make you feel that when you are steering the car it is completely disconnected from what the car does except steer it in the direction you want.

Another positive is the steering wheel. The steering wheel is the best I’ve used in any cars….the only steering wheel I think that comes close is the Honda steering wheel in my brother’s 2008 Accord.

I am pleased with the fuel economy I am achieving out of the 2.5L motor. The car is rated for 30mpg highway and I consistently achieve 31 or 32 mpg with my mainly highway driving commute and I certainly don’t drive with fuel economy in mind. I continue to like the smoothness of the 2.5L motor as well and after 3,000 rpm is where the 170 hp comes out of hiding. Mazda did a nice job of isolating vibration. When the stereo is on even low volume I cannot tell if the car is running unless I check the gauges.

I still love the interior of this car…which was probably the main selling point for me. I love the simple/sporty layout. It is simple and everything works flawlessly. So far the quality of materials has proven to be good…everything feels solidly built.

I work on big construction sites and I have to drive the car daily through mud/dirt/gravel/etc and rutted dirt roads. The suspension handles the rough driving very nicely. The suspension is stiffer than other cars in this class but I believe Mazda wanted the car to have a sportier suspension than the Camry/Accord/Sonata/Altima. So far the car has remained dead silent…absolutely no squeaks, groans or rattling. The car feels very solidly built.

The 6 speed shifter is smooth and engages nicely. Although I thought it would initially happen a lot, I have never tried to go in reverse in 6th gear. The R gear at the top left has not fazed me.

Dislikes:

I find the chime used to indicate the key is left in the ignition after you open the door with the car off is irritating.

One feature I wish this car had is that the radio/stereo would remain on even after you turn off the car and removed the key. GM cars have this, and the stereo only turns off until you open the door. (I love that)

One dislike I have noticed is that even in normal driving situations at high speed (70 mph) the front passenger seat can be seen shaking when I go over bumps or deep cracks in the road. It makes the seat seem cheap and I wish Mazda did a better job at making the seat shake less. I have never noticed this in other cars. However, the seats are great in every other aspect.

The OEM tires….I’m not crazy about them. They are Michelin Energy tires and they are not the quietest…especially on the rougher roads around here. The treads seem to have barely changed since new, so it looks as if the tread life will be long with these. Time will tell.

The speakers are good….but there is something missing about them. They sound a little too “hollow” for my tastes.
I haven’t warmed up to the fabric Mazda used on the seats…the nylon type cloth doesn’t do it for me. I much prefer the traditional black cloth seats you find in other cars.

The rear power windows cannot be controlled from the driver’s seat. This is a minor annoyance when somebody who leaves the car leaves the rear window(s) open. This forces you to pull over or park and reach back to that respective window’s switch on the door. I assume this may only be the case for the base model 6.

Overall:

I am very happy with the purchase of this car. It has been 100% trouble free…and I had to be very picky to find the dislikes about this car….and they are very minor. I think Mazda engineered a very nice car for the money and I continue to think it was a great value.

I highly recommend those looking for a new sedan to check out the Mazda6. I already have someone I know who liked mine so much they are interested in one.

Side note: These cars are built in Flat Rock, MI in the Ford plant next to the Ford Mustang. I have already noticed a large Ford/Motorcraft part content from things like the OEM oil filter, car battery, hoses and various other parts. As the Ford fusion reliability is proven, hopefully this translates into respectable reliability for the Mazda6.

Pictures from when I originally took it home.
2011 Mazda6i Pictures

GMfan

Very glad to hear you like your new M6. I really liked the looks of the '04-08 M6s myself and looked into getting one but, even used, they were a bit out of my price range.

That is a very nice detailed report you posted. I'm quite surprised that they don't have the rear power window controls for the driver. (I had thought that was a given in any vehicle).

All in all, I'm glad you're happy with the M6.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I love the paint on this car. Period.

Hate the paint on mine. Super easy to chip and doesn't shine the way my Hondas did.
Being somewhat of an enthusiast, I love the steering on this car. The steering exudes confidence and Mazda did an excellent job of keeping the “road feel” in the steering wheel. Perhaps some can understand what I am talking about…some cars make you feel that when you are steering the car it is completely disconnected from what the car does except steer it in the direction you want.

thumbsup2.gif
Glad they kept that.
Even the Fusion doesn't steer the way the Mazda does and it's largely the same car.
I drove an '05 Camry SE back to back with my car and the steering in the Camry felt lazy and disconnected.

The speakers are good….but there is something missing about them. They sound a little too “hollow” for my tastes.

Ford's cheapest 6X8s....or at least they were in the older model 6es. And I don't have a rear parcel deck in mine....at least not one that you can mount speakers on. So the rear fill is from the bottom of the rear doors.

Quote:
The rear power windows cannot be controlled from the driver’s seat. ... I assume this may only be the case for the base model 6.

21.gif
I don't remember on the new 3.7 6S. I could have sworn you could. All I remember is that with the Mazda variant of the Ford 3.7, the Mazda 6 is a rocket
laugh.gif
Made my Duratec30 feel tepid by comparison.

thumbsup2.gif
awesome review.

Originally Posted By: EricZoom
I'm also very surprised that you don't have control of the rear windows from the driver. I even have that on my 04' Mazda6.

My apologies....I do have power control of my rear windows. I was confused because I remember having that problem but it was because the child proof window switch was switched on so I couldn't roll them down...but I don't know why I confused that for not having any control of the rear windows when I wrote this review...must be the medication I'm taking for this sickness. Sorry about that.
grin.gif

I'm debating putting some money into some better speakers...but I have concerns about taking it to Best Buy and having them install them mainly because I'm afraid that if they take the doors apart the doors will never be the same as they were from the factory.

Spazdog...what I meant to have said is that I love the color...but I haven't noticed any paint issues. I really hope the new Mazda6s don't have the rust issues that the Mazda3s had at the rear fenders. This car will be kept outside year round so hopefully that will help with preventing rust.

Another thing I forgot to note is that I like the large tank this car has...18.5 gallons. This allows for nice highway runs between fill-ups. My older car had a 12 gallon tank and I could only go 300 miles between. This car allows just over 500 miles.

One minor dislike is that the AC isn't as strong as other vehicles. I typically have to leave it set at 3/4 speed to feel the AC on a hot day.

Spazdog...I really like the previous generation 6....it is really nice. I came close to buying a used 2005 or 2006 with only 50,000 miles on it but it was an automatic and I really wanted a stick. These cars are very hard to find with a stick as they are usually held onto more than other cars.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new Mazda 6i!

I honestly don't understand why Mazda doesn't market this car more aggressively. I doubt the reason why it doesn't sell as well as the Fusion is because it is not as good a product, just that most people don't know about it.

I love the great interior, simple, high quality, durable ,and reliable too. A MANUAL tranny! Good choice.

Sounds like all the sporty cues are there are well great steering is really hard to find in modern cars they are anything less than sports cars!

The rear window control issue is typical Japanese, and I don't know why they do it that way. If you lock the rear windows out, it's because you don't want REAR passengers to use the windows. It makes no sense for the driver to not be able to use them when locked out. But both of my Toyotas were that way and both of my Hondas are that way.

Spazdog...I really like the previous generation 6....it is really nice. I came close to buying a used 2005 or 2006 with only 50,000 miles on it but it was an automatic and I really wanted a stick. These cars are very hard to find with a stick as they are usually held onto more than other cars.

I didn't intend on getting an automatic. I had planned on getting a Mazda3S with a manual. But when I arrived at the dealership, the one that was advertised on cars.com was actually an automatic.

The salesman suggested the Mazda6. I only drove the 6S on a whim.

The 6S was cheaper than my next choice which was an Accord LX 4 cyl. The 6 is quicker and faster than the Accord was, is a hatchback, but mostly it was the handling. When I test drove it, there was a dogleg corner onto the freeway. zip-zip, I was hooked. I wanted more corners. And this was coming out of an Integra GS-R. Not like I was driving a sloppy handling car before the 6

That's why I'm happy they kept the steering.
laugh.gif
Eventually I'm going to want something newer....Not yet though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back