Just bought 2001 Tahoe with some minor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diffs? Aren't those trucks independent front suspension.
My 99 chev truck 1500(not an hd or anything special) had a posi rear and when it was in 4wd all 4 tires locked up. No limited slip anything. It made turning a pain but if would go through anything. Amazing truck. Light and nimble too.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Yes they are, so I am confused at some of the comments too?

My 99 chev truck 1500(not an hd or anything special) had a posi rear and when it was in 4wd all 4 tires locked up. No limited slip anything. It made turning a pain but if would go through anything. Amazing truck. Light and nimble too.

IFS or not, they still have a differential.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

IFS or not, they still have a differential.

^^^ correct as usual,how else would the tires drive lol

An open diff will spin both tires, as long as the tires have similar traction. I'm not sure how many vehicles have had limited slip in the front axle; maybe some FWD vehicles. I know I've read of Toyota Land Cruisers (and probably other dedicated off-roaders) having lockers for the front; but I'm pretty sure limited slip is a hard sell in the front axle, due to the large difference in wheel speed during turns.

Well I went to the GM dealer today and checked a few prices... the GM 75W90 is 36 dollars and some change a quart, so to drain & fill I was looking at around $120 with tax. I went to Carquest, picked up 3 quarts of Mobil 1 75W90 for $35 and then got a transmission filter kit as well. Planning on dropping the pan tomorrow as well as draining & refilling the rear axle, and taking care of anything else underneath that looks neglected.

Originally Posted By: gradymotorco
Well I went to the GM dealer today and checked a few prices... the GM 75W90 is 36 dollars and some change a quart, so to drain & fill I was looking at around $120 with tax. I went to Carquest, picked up 3 quarts of Mobil 1 75W90 for $35 and then got a transmission filter kit as well. Planning on dropping the pan tomorrow as well as draining & refilling the rear axle, and taking care of anything else underneath that looks neglected.

Good move. You might need one more quart of gear lube.

GMBoy, I bought 3 because the guy at the dealership parts counter told me that it took around 2 and a half quarts. It sounded close to me, but my owners manual doesn't have a capacity for the rear end so it was just a guess. I'll have to go to a different parts store for that extra quart, since I bought all the 75W90 Mobil 1 that Carquest had!

Voltage: stepper motor on the instrument cluster? All of mine were bad on the 04 below. I had to completely rebuild the cluster on my 04 below which was doing the same thing (fluctuating) with all gauges except trans temp.
The cluster great now but the engine doesn't.:)

Originally Posted By: 3311
Voltage: stepper motor on the instrument cluster? All of mine were bad on the 04 below. I had to completely rebuild the cluster on my 04 below which was doing the same thing (fluctuating) with all gauges except trans temp.

3311, how do you go about finding out if you have a bad stepper motor on the cluster?

Oh I'm still trying to decide about whether to use the SuperTech Dex3 replacement ATF or Dex6... I've been following KeithKman's post over on the ATF board about his tranny change, the thing that worries me about the Dex6 is since the transmission is currently full of the Dex3, how well will the two mix?

Oh I'm still trying to decide about whether to use the SuperTech Dex3 replacement ATF or Dex6... I've been following KeithKman's post over on the ATF board about his tranny change, the thing that worries me about the Dex6 is since the transmission is currently full of the Dex3, how well will the two mix?

I've done a ton of reading. DEX VI is backwards compatable with DEX III and II. Going to do a pan drop and filter change tomorrow hopefully.

Last edited:
Correct. Dex 6 is backwards compatible with Dex 3 and earlier in TRANSMISSIONS. Like I mentioned earlier, you just cannot use the DEX 6 to replace Dex 3 in transfer cases.

Here is some interesting info from the service manual concerning your G80 rear diff:

xTooltipElement
Service Information
2001 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon VIN C/K Service Manual | Driveline/Axle | Rear Drive Axle - Locking/Limited Slip Rear Axle | Description and Operation | Document ID: 701869
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Locking Differential Description and Operation
The locking differential consists of the following components:

• Differential case – 1 or 2 piece

• Locking differential spider – 2 piece case only

• Pinion gear shaft – 1 piece case only

• Differential pinion gear shaft lock bolt – 1 piece case only

• 2 clutch discs sets

• Locking differential side gear

• Thrust block

• Locking differential clutch disc guides

• Differential side gear shim

• Locking differential clutch disc thrust washer

• Locking differential governor

• Latching bracket

• Cam plate assembly

• Differential pinion gears

• Differential pinion gear thrust washers

The optional locking differential (RPO G80) enhances the traction capability of the rear axle by combining the characteristics of a limited-slip differential and the ability of the axle shafts to “lock” together when uneven traction surfaces exist. The differential accomplishes this in 2 ways. First by having a series of clutch plates at each side of the differential case to limit the amount of slippage between each wheel. Second, by using a mechanical locking mechanism to stop the rotation of the right differential side gear, or the left differential side gear on the 10.5 inch axle, in order to transfer the rotating torque of the wheel without traction to the wheel with traction. Each of these functions occur under different conditions.

Limited-Slip Function

Under normal conditions, when the differential is not locked, a small amount of limited-slip action occurs. The gear separating force developed in the right-hand (left-hand side on 10.5 inch axle) clutch pack is primarily responsible for this.

The operation of how the limited-slip function of the unit works can be explained when the vehicle makes a right-hand turn. Since the left wheel travels farther than the right wheel, it must rotate faster than the ring gear and differential case assembly. This results in the left axle and left side gear rotating faster than the differential case. The faster rotation of the left-side gear causes the pinion gears to rotate on the pinion shaft. This causes the right-side gear to rotate slower than the differential case.

Although the side gear spreading force produced by the pinion gears compresses the clutch packs, primarily the right side, the friction between the tires and the road surface is sufficient to overcome the friction of the clutch packs. This prevents the side gears from being held to the differential case.

Locking Function

Locking action occurs through the use of some special parts:

• A governor mechanism with 2 flyweights

• A latching bracket

• The left side cam plate and cam side gear

When the wheel-to-wheel speed difference is 100 RPM or more, the flyweights of the governor will fling out and one of them will contact an edge of the latching bracket. This happens because the left cam side gear and cam plate are rotating at a speed different, either slower or faster, than that of the ring gear and differential case assembly. The cam plate has teeth on its outer diameter surface in mesh with teeth on the shaft of the governor.

As the side gear rotates at a speed different than that of the differential case, the shaft of the governor rotates with enough speed to force the flyweights outward against spring tension. One of the flyweights catches its edge on the closest edge of the latching bracket, which is stationary in the differential case. This latching process triggers a chain of events.

When the governor latches, it stops rotating. A small friction clutch inside the governor allows rotation, with resistance, of the governor shaft while one flyweight is held to the differential case through the latching bracket. The purpose of the governor's latching action is to slow the rotation of the cam plate as compared to the cam side gear. This will cause the cam plate to move out of its detent position.

The cam plate normally is held in its detent position by a small wave spring and detent humps resting in matching notches of the cam side gear. At this point, the ramps of the cam plate ride up on the ramps of the cam side gear, and the cam plate compresses the left clutch pack with a self-energizing action.

As the left clutch pack is compressed, it pushes the cam plate and cam side gear slightly toward the right side of the differential case. This movement of the cam side gear pushes the thrust block which compresses the right-hand side gear clutch pack.

At this point, the force of the self-energizing clutches and the side gear separating force combine to hold the side gears to the differential case in the locking stage.

The entire locking process occurs in less than 1 second. The process works with either the left or right wheel spinning, due to the design of the governor and cam mechanism. A torque reversal of any kind will unlatch the governor, causing the cam plate to ride back down to its detent position. Cornering or deceleration during a transmission shift will cause a torque reversal of this type. The differential unit returns to its limited-slip function.

The self-energizing process would not occur if it were not for the action of one of the left clutch discs. This energizing disc provides the holding force of the ramping action to occur. It is the only disc which is splined to the cam plate itself. The other splined discs fit on the cam side gear.

If the rotating speed of the ring gear and differential case assembly is high enough, the latching bracket will pivot due to centrifugal force. This will move the flyweights so that no locking is permitted. During vehicle driving, this happens at approximately 32 km/h (20 mph) and continues at faster speeds.

When comparing the effectiveness of the locking differential, in terms of percent-of-grade capability to open and limited-slip units, the locking differential has nearly 3 times the potential of the limited-slip unit under the same conditions.

Locking Differential Torque-Limiting Disc

The locking differential design was modified in mid-1986 to include a load-limiting feature to reduce the chance of breaking an axle shaft under abusive driving conditions. The number of tangs on the energizing disc in the left-hand clutch pack was reduced allowing these tangs to shear in the event of a high-torque engagement of the differential locking mechanism.

At the time of failure of the load-limiting disc, there will be a loud bang in the rear axle and the differential will operate as a standard differential with some limited-slip action of the clutch packs at low torques.

The service procedure, when the disc tangs shear, involves replacing the left-hand clutch plates and the wave spring. It is also necessary to examine the axle shafts for twisting because at high torques it is possible to not only shear the load-limiting disc, but to also twist the axle shafts.
© 2013 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Rear axle capacity is 2.75 and front is 1.75. You will need another quart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3311

3311, how do you go about finding out if you have a bad stepper motor on the cluster?
You would have to use a voltmeter and compare the readings. I guess you could measure the voltage at the cigarette lighter and compare the reading to the dash gauge. If dash gauge is fluctuating and the meter is not, then bad stepper motor.

If your with a soldering gun then it's a pretty easy fix. If it is the stepper motor then go ahead and replace them all. There are some good guides online. One of the GM truck forums has a guide IIRC.

Update- Finished the flush & fill on the rear axle this afternoon, but had to go tend to some other errands and didn't have time to do the fluid & filter change. The Mobil 1 made a world of difference! No more chatter at all. The truck is much quieter and smoother driving as well. The lube I drained from the rear end looked as if it had been in there a while, but it did not look nearly as bad as I had expected.

Planning on taking care of the transmission filter & fluid Monday, as well as fuel filter, air filter and possibly new pads & rotors.

3311, based on what you said in your second post, I don't think its a stepper motor. I keep my cell phone charger plugged in the cigarette lighter most of the time, and when the dash flickers, so does the light on my charger.

Originally Posted By: KeithKman
Thanks for the update. Let us know if you can get the trans drain plug off. I couldn't get mine off.

KeithKman, after all the trouble you've had with yours, I'm tempted to not even attempt to unscrew my drain plug. I think I'll just unbolt the pan and take a BITOG shower!!!

Originally Posted By: KeithKman
Thanks for the update. Let us know if you can get the trans drain plug off. I couldn't get mine off.

KeithKman, after all the trouble you've had with yours, I'm tempted to not even attempt to unscrew my drain plug. I think I'll just unbolt the pan and take a BITOG shower!!!

If you have a 6 point 15mm socket and an impact gun, give that a whirl.

You guys never cease to overwhelm me with just how much stuff you know! Thanks especially to GMBoy for the tech bulletins!

ABS light proceeded to go off on my way home last night & it has not returned since.

ABS light illumination on dirt roads is not uncommon, as the the anti lock systems is very active with low traction (bumpy dirt roads). The fact that the light went off after several driving cycles leads me to believe it is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back