2015 Tahoe - previously an Uber?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
The undercarriage rust would bug me but you'll probably trade before it gets fatal.

Just imagine this thing run up on a slushy curb idling, with all that water vapor lingering underneath.
15.gif

Sheet metal rust is much worse, if you oil spray it it will slow it down considerably if it is just on the frame and control arms.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: eljefino
The undercarriage rust would bug me but you'll probably trade before it gets fatal.

Just imagine this thing run up on a slushy curb idling, with all that water vapor lingering underneath.
15.gif

Sheet metal rust is much worse, if you oil spray it it will slow it down considerably if it is just on the frame and control arms.

Well … I don’t slush in the northern salt (have overseas) … but have/do brackish or saltwater crossings in 4WD …
I’d avoid oil for now … maybe later … buy a product called Salt Away (or competition brands) … they sell the concentrate and a garden hose eductor … park over a sprinkler and move it 3 times over 30 minutes keeping the small cup loaded …

Go for a ride on a hot day and dry it out … probably need about 4 cans of Rust Reformer to get it all black again …
(I do this once a year on my 2010) … 2017 has lots of coating that’s still Ok for now …)
You need to spend a fair amount of time under that SUV … then go cruising and exploring like they do so well …
(Make some memories) …

There's no way it was an Uber. 59k miles and 3 years is only 20k miles a year, less than what I drive a year. If it were an Uber vehicle it would have probably been doing 50k a year minimum.

13 mph average is totally reasonably for NYC traffic. I drove almost 70 miles a day, most of it on the highway but my Sonata averages about 34 mph. Add in letting it warm up in the winter and NYC traffic, no big deal.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Well … I don’t slush in the northern salt (have overseas) … but have/do brackish or saltwater crossings in 4WD …
I’d avoid oil for now … maybe later … buy a product called Salt Away (or competition brands) … they sell the concentrate and a garden hose eductor … park over a sprinkler and move it 3 times over 30 minutes keeping the small cup loaded …

Go for a ride on a hot day and dry it out … probably need about 4 cans of Rust Reformer to get it all black again …
(I do this once a year on my 2010) … 2017 has lots of coating that’s still Ok for now …)
You need to spend a fair amount of time under that SUV … then go cruising and exploring like they do so well …
(Make some memories) …

Rust can be your friend sometimes, specifically when you want a surface to hold oil. That is why it is not big deal to have chassis rust: as long as you keep oil spraying it, it will hold most of the oil inbetween applications.

I would not spray the undercarriage of your car with a sprinkler, I can tell your from first hand experience that that is completely unnecessary. Just get it oil sprayed once and you should be good if you are not in a corrosive environment. If it has never been oil sprayed that will make the biggest difference for the least amount of money.

I love slushing in the northern salt!

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: 4WD

(Make some memories) …

Rust can be your friend sometimes, specifically when you want a surface to hold oil. That is why it is not big deal to have chassis rust: as long as you keep oil spraying it, it will hold most of the oil inbetween applications.

I would not spray the undercarriage of your car with a sprinkler, I can tell your from first hand experience that that is completely unnecessary. Just get it oil sprayed once and you should be good if you are not in a corrosive environment. If it has never been oil sprayed that will make the biggest difference for the least amount of money.

I love slushing in the northern salt!

Thanks … but been running a sprinkler under many 4WD’s for 30 years … mud, sand, shell, salt, …
GM coats these vehicles from the factory … different area = different coating … none with oil as the base case …
Nothing I mentioned precludes application of oil … but not the other way around …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back