Junk service at junk shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever notice how a lot of times mechanics don't know *** they're talking about. They just start naming parts you need to replace without really knowing what the problem is. Like trial and error at the CUSTOMER'S expense. My uncle took his car to the dealer (to get good service) for a coolant leak. After changing the water pump, some hoses, some seals, and charging $800 for labor they sent him home. Two days later the leak was still there. Took it back. They started naming other things that needed to be replaced. Hmm... Did they even diagnose the car the first time? They didn't mention these things at first. Ok, so I understand that it may be hard to detect a leak like this. But why should we have to pay full price for the FULL time of labor (which is inflated) and the parts? If they misdiagnose, they shouldn't continue to rip off. There are still some honest mechanics around but I generally don't like shops.

Last week... I took my truck to a brake shop to get the brake fluid replaced because I was too lazy to do it myself. I usually don't take it in for these little maintenance type things and afterwards I remember why... The service they provided was so [censored] I couldn't believe it. 1) They didn't even change all the fluid. They pumped the brakes twice at each wheel and called it good. 2) They didn't put a hose over the bleeder bolt, they just let it spray onto my truck. 3) They dumped used brake fluid on the ground for the next rain to clean up. 4) They used brake fluid from an open container and the guy pushed the brake pedal all the way to the floor instead of putting a block underneath it. Yeah, thanks guys! I could've done that myself in a couple minutes too! It's all a big scam. These places turn a couple screws to make it seem like they did something, then they charge you ridiculous amounts. This was a brake shop too. All the places like Jiffy Lube and tire shops are the same. Pure [censored].

That`s the very reason I always buy a factory FSM for every car I own and then study it front to back. The only work I don`t do on my cars is stuff that requires a lift (which I`m going to have installed when I finally buy a house).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
That`s the very reason I always buy a factory FSM for every car I own and then study it front to back. The only work I don`t do on my cars is stuff that requires a lift (which I`m going to have installed when I finally buy a house).

That's like a dream to have a lift at your house.

Thats the reason I have stuck with the local GoodYear Gemini shop for 25+ years. Whatever I don't feel like handeling, even with my FSM, thise guys take car of, first class. All the neighbors quit them, say they charge to much, but no, they don't charge any more than the rest of the crooks out there. First class trouble shootong, no resemblence to your discription of "just through parts at it" fix. They always have a few State Police cars on the lot that they are working on, still have the contract after all these years.
Good service if tough to get these days. I know, I've been fixing one thing or the other for 33 years. Find yourself a good local shop and stick with it.

Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

That's like a dream to have a lift at your house.

I'm building a house in two years, I expect a garage with two spots and one lift.

LOL.gif

More than welcome to drop by!

Another reason I ALWAYS do my own maintanence.........I used to work at a car dealership. Once you see what goes on behind closed doors,you`ll never want anyone else but *yourself* to touch your own cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
Ever notice how a lot of times mechanics don't know *** they're talking about. They just start naming parts you need to replace without really knowing what the problem is. Like trial and error at the CUSTOMER'S expense. My uncle took his car to the dealer (to get good service) for a coolant leak. After changing the water pump, some hoses, some seals, and charging $800 for labor they sent him home. Two days later the leak was still there. Took it back. They started naming other things that needed to be replaced. Hmm... Did they even diagnose the car the first time? They didn't mention these things at first. Ok, so I understand that it may be hard to detect a leak like this. But why should we have to pay full price for the FULL time of labor (which is inflated) and the parts? If they misdiagnose, they shouldn't continue to rip off. There are still some honest mechanics around but I generally don't like shops.

Last week... I took my truck to a brake shop to get the brake fluid replaced because I was too lazy to do it myself. I usually don't take it in for these little maintenance type things and afterwards I remember why... The service they provided was so [censored] I couldn't believe it. 1) They didn't even change all the fluid. They pumped the brakes twice at each wheel and called it good. 2) They didn't put a hose over the bleeder bolt, they just let it spray onto my truck. 3) They dumped used brake fluid on the ground for the next rain to clean up. 4) They used brake fluid from an open container and the guy pushed the brake pedal all the way to the floor instead of putting a block underneath it. Yeah, thanks guys! I could've done that myself in a couple minutes too! It's all a big scam. These places turn a couple screws to make it seem like they did something, then they charge you ridiculous amounts. This was a brake shop too. All the places like Jiffy Lube and tire shops are the same. Pure [censored].

Would you mind naming the shop? I'm in Bakersfield also and have had nothing but bad luck with everyone but Kern Transmission. Only place in town where I can honestly say the service is top notch and the owner is honest.

~150 oil changes in my life, and no errors so far except wondering why a car burned 1/2 quart in a week, after I put in 4 instead of 4 1/2. It does take a lot of care to keep errors away, and you must not be under any pressure to go fast.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
It does take a lot of care to keep errors away, and you must not be under any pressure to go fast.

Care and time are something that no shop has. I worked at a shop for a short time and they didn't allow me time to care.

I think the key for consistency is to find a smaller indy shop that does everything.

I used to do most of my own maintenance back in high school. I had a garage to use, and anything that I couldn't do there was handled by a local Ford dealer that my parents had been using for over 20 years. When I came to Charlotte, I was stuck with a parking lot to work in and a bunch of unfamiliar shops. I tried local Ford dealers, but it was very hit or miss with them. Eventually I found an excellent NAPA shop. Most of the time the owner is there and working on cars. The techs know my truck, and it is always the same people working there. The work they do is top notch. I have seen them pour oil right from individual bottles into my truck, and when I get it back the oil is always exactly at the full line on the dipstick. I haven't been anywhere else since finding this place.

Even better, prices at the NAPA shop are very good. They are cheaper than the dealer, and about on par with most of the chains like Firestone. You do have to make an appointment for just about anything if you are going to wait though...they have a lot of loyal customers and are always busy, but that's a good sign.

I usually try to find a good local mechanic to do work on my car that I can stand next to and watch. Sometimes I even give him a hand and tell him the method I want him to use. Unless you watch the shop perform work on your vehicle, most likely it won't be first rate service.

Last edited:
I saved a coworker from the GMC dealer by giving him an oil change in the company parking lot on a saturday evening.

However, the truck was in great shape, genuine AC delco filter, drain plug torqued properly, etc. They just got "too expensive." He knows nothing about cars, like I know nothing about, oh, plumbing, and can only perceive getting ripped off without much info to go on.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I think the key for consistency is to find a smaller indy shop that does everything.

I used to do most of my own maintenance back in high school. I had a garage to use, and anything that I couldn't do there was handled by a local Ford dealer that my parents had been using for over 20 years. When I came to Charlotte, I was stuck with a parking lot to work in and a bunch of unfamiliar shops. I tried local Ford dealers, but it was very hit or miss with them. Eventually I found an excellent NAPA shop. Most of the time the owner is there and working on cars. The techs know my truck, and it is always the same people working there. The work they do is top notch. I have seen them pour oil right from individual bottles into my truck, and when I get it back the oil is always exactly at the full line on the dipstick. I haven't been anywhere else since finding this place.

Even better, prices at the NAPA shop are very good. They are cheaper than the dealer, and about on par with most of the chains like Firestone. You do have to make an appointment for just about anything if you are going to wait though...they have a lot of loyal customers and are always busy, but that's a good sign.

You hit the nail on the head. Even better is to find a shop where the owner IS the one and only tech (or has 1 or 2 employees).

Best advice I can give is to check your BBB online. You'd be amazed at the records of some businesses (BAD!). But you can find local shops that have been around a long time that are small and do great work (and have a perfect BBB report). I find it good when you call and it takes a week to get an appointment!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back