Credit card lock from shopping at walmart?

This is true unless it fails 3x in a row it will let you use mag stripe as backup. Its usually worn out/damaged card, but occasionally its the reader.

If it doesn't accept the chip(insert) it wont even be flagged as a transaction so doing it 3x isnt 3 transactions its 3 failed card reads.
this then lets the system accept the mag stripe as backup transaction.
I'll clarify. If the chip reader doesn't work 1 time or 100 times, my credit union has advised me (warned might be the better word) to NOT try and swipe it. More than one store clerk has told me "try it 3x then it will let you use the stripe". No, it won't in my case. My CU will decline the charge and lock the card. I simply use a different card and if it fails, it's their stupid card reader....

is it just me but lately i stumbled upon those self service machines at WM and at the end when you want to pay, they offer a partial payment by advertising a Walmart CC

has anyone seen it too?

I'll clarify. If the chip reader doesn't work 1 time or 100 times, my credit union has advised me (warned might be the better word) to NOT try and swipe it. More than one store clerk has told me "try it 3x then it will let you use the stripe". No, it won't in my case. My CU will decline the charge and lock the card. I simply use a different card and if it fails, it's their stupid card reader....
so in your case it has nothing to do with the chip.. if you swipe it the CU disables your card.. got it.
but not exactly applicable to 99% of people with regular CC.

I assisted an elderly person in our family with some shopping due to their limited mobilty and not being able to drive. After selecting some basic goods I chose to have them go thru a staffed checkout line. When they inserted their chipped mastercard into the card reader slot it displayed "Card Error". The cashier stated you have to insert 3 times then it will allow you to swipe it. After swiping, the message the cashier got was "vendor declined transaction".

The card was at that point locked.

Why did this happen?
It's not supposed to happen as that's the standard procedure if it can't read a chip. However is this a Walmart that the person hasn't shopped at before? Maybe this Walmart has high theft?

My Wells Fargo card requires either tap to pay or inserting into the machine. Interestingly when I've had a chip wearing out I've been able to slide it after 2-3 attempts failing for the chip reader. Card was never locked.
That has been my experience as well with Discover.

Dad had a card once that had to insert it 3x and then swipe, I don't remember who it was with but I think he did finally receive a new card that works without having to do that. I had issues with my debit card the other week but they had me get a new one last month due to fraud which really turned out not to be. I had a yearly subscription and they decided to charge it 2 weeks early but my Credit Union flagged it. I got the new card and they had me change the pin and sometime later I couldn't remember it. I went to Auto Zone and got some of the new Valvoline oil and my card wasn't working with none of the codes, next I went to 7-11 and same thing so when I got home I called them but their system was actually down and could not access my acct. I ended up going back to my Credit Union to change the pin and said I could reuse the old one if I wanted but I chose to use the same code of another card.

Dad also has an Exxon card through his business and they went to using a pin which he can't remember so he doesn't use that card, also they started charging him a $10 fee every month, I don't really know what it's for unless it's because he's not logged in online with them and thus receives paper statements.

Back