JT20's Subaru

Okay one more. Fuel.

Fuel evaporates.

...right?

Or does it not evaporate in oil...

It is hard to get it to evaporate out of oil, that's the issue with fuel dilution, it doesn't tend to go away.

So. Is our concern that the level of fuel dilution may be past an "acceptable limit?"

So. Is our concern that the level of fuel dilution may be past an "acceptable limit?"
Yup, particularly if you drive spiritedly, which will exasperate the issue. But the other concern is that regular over-fuelling is hard on cats and other components too.

Last edited:
Yup, particularly if you drive spiritedly, which will exasperate the issue. But other concerns is that regular over-fuelling is hard on cats and other components too.

I see.

Okay. In this case.. I suspect one of the reasons the car was sold was Chronic P0420. Cat would be the last thing I replace, before 02 sensors and check for vac leaks.....

Cruising 75MPH is a regular.

I'm thinking the Stage 1 would compensate with a better fuel map.

Because, until then, aside from frequent change of oil...

I see.

Okay. In this case.. I suspect one of the reasons the car was sold was Chronic P0420. Cat would be the last thing I replace, before 02 sensors and check for vac leaks.....

Cruising 75MPH is a regular.

I'm thinking the Stage 1 would compensate with a better fuel map.

Because, until then, aside from frequent change of oil...

As long as it is a 2.0L SOHC MAP tune for the engine that is in your car you'll be fine the "stage" stuff is a bit "marketing lingo", we just want to correct the load/fuel table primarily.

As long as it is a 2.0L SOHC MAP tune for the engine that is in your car you'll be fine the "stage" stuff is a bit "marketing lingo", we just want to correct the load/fuel table primarily.

I am absolutely 1000% with you.

I sent them an e-mail as per JHZR2 suggestion, asking if they program the car VIN to it...

That probably requires you to have a cobb access port

You are 100% correct, these are their requirements:

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 5.18.12 PM.png

The remark about JDM ECM's is interesting though, this would imply that people DO in fact use JDM ECM's in North American cars unless they've imported a whole JDM vehicle?

The remark about JDM ECM's is interesting though, this would imply that people DO in fact use JDM ECM's in North American cars unless they've imported a whole JDM vehicle?

Yeah, I saw the part about E-mail tune.

I wouldn't be buying this for the HRSPRS as Donut Media says.

I wonder then. How do we add Cobb port to my ECU.

And on the $60 one.. some kind of workaround? I think an EJ20 (specifically EJ201) is MAP.

So now its Add Cobb vs $60 EJ20 JDM ECU vs Flashpoint ....

Oh and really quick before I continue working, I think I CAN Cobb it.. Model year 2002. I remember something about 2001 and later.

I'll check back soon.

A cobb is ~700.00 and it only supports an Impreza in 2002. (at least officially)

I watched your video and several others, including mr potty mouth...

I'm far from an Expert, but i'm 100% confident the JDM ecu will not fix your car unless you have all the parts from a JDM car, the reason for changing the manifold and pulleys is because all of the wiring is different and the JDM car has different trigger wheels, if i was guessing i would say this is akin to BATCH fire vs SEFI. Based on what i saw in the videos id be surprised if it even ran with the US wiring and JDM computer. Some one also mentioned that the JDM intake manifold is "electronic" so I'm assuming it has some sort of variable runner set up that will be missing from yours.

My second take away is that almost no one says anything about adjusting fueling, there were a couple comments in the video comment section (ie not mentioned in the video itself, but posted by others) which people thought they might be running rich, but who knows. This doesn't mean its completely right, but if they were blowing up from fuel in the oil you'd be hearing about it. I do note the Subaru board seems unfamiliar with the term "fuel dilution".

The swap seems reasonably straight forward if you reuse the right stuff and make sure the engine is comparable EGR/NO EGR. One of the main drivers for this swap seems to be the engines are cheaper, people doing swaps because it is cheap does not create a viable market for a tuner... which is, i would postulate why your are not getting a bunch of takers on tuning your swap.

Tuning this car is not just a simple matter, you can't just go into the fuel tables and take 20% out everywhere (well you can, but your results are not going to be good) you gotta have some on who has tuned at least a similar combination or the time money and expertise to do yours on a dyno. (and the necessary hardware to access, read and adjust it)

My advice is:

First figure out if you have an actual problem and if it is a significant problem. Don't change the oil, just monitor it for rising levels or distinct smell of fuel. once you get a reasonable amount of miles on it pull a sample and have it tested to see if if has an inordinate amount of fuel in it.

If it does then set about figuring out why, is it the tune, or does it have leaking injectors or some other issue.

If it does not then keep trucking...

Thats my two cents.

A cobb is ~700.00 and it only supports an Impreza in 2002. (at least officially)

I watched your video and several others, including mr potty mouth...

I'm far from an Expert, but i'm 100% confident the JDM ecu will not fix your car unless you have all the parts from a JDM car, the reason for changing the manifold and pulleys is because all of the wiring is different and the JDM car has different trigger wheels, if i was guessing i would say this is akin to BATCH fire vs SEFI. Based on what i saw in the videos id be surprised if it even ran with the US wiring and JDM computer. Some one also mentioned that the JDM intake manifold is "electronic" so I'm assuming it has some sort of variable runner set up that will be missing from yours.

My second take away is that almost no one says anything about adjusting fueling, there were a couple comments in the video comment section (ie not mentioned in the video itself, but posted by others) which people thought they might be running rich, but who knows. This doesn't mean its completely right, but if they were blowing up from fuel in the oil you'd be hearing about it. I do note the Subaru board seems unfamiliar with the term "fuel dilution".

The swap seems reasonably straight forward if you reuse the right stuff and make sure the engine is comparable EGR/NO EGR. One of the main drivers for this swap seems to be the engines are cheaper, people doing swaps because it is cheap does not create a viable market for a tuner... which is, i would postulate why your are not getting a bunch of takers on tuning your swap.

Tuning this car is not just a simple matter, you can't just go into the fuel tables and take 20% out everywhere (well you can, but your results are not going to be good) you gotta have some on who has tuned at least a similar combination or the time money and expertise to do yours on a dyno. (and the necessary hardware to access, read and adjust it)

My advice is:

First figure out if you have an actual problem and if it is a significant problem. Don't change the oil, just monitor it for rising levels or distinct smell of fuel. once you get a reasonable amount of miles on it pull a sample and have it tested to see if if has an inordinate amount of fuel in it.

If it does then set about figuring out why, is it the tune, or does it have leaking injectors or some other issue.

If it does not then keep trucking...

Thats my two cents.

That's a very insightful post, and you are right, the tuners sure seem "less than interested" in this.

I wonder if this might just be a car that gets cheap oil for life (? That is a BIG question for me LOL)
Maybe some kind of thicker grade, maybe not.. and that's that.

I don't think it will be too big of a deal if you run it as is. Engines ran with carburetors that overfueled for years. Maybe just stick to 3000 mile intervals. This is why I was against the wrong engine swap in the start. Getting an EJ25 to work is a lot less work and cost.

Who originally pushed you into the 2.0L swap?

I don't think it will be too big of a deal if you run it as is. Engines ran with carburetors that overfueled for years. Maybe just stick to 3000 mile intervals. This is why I was against the wrong engine swap in the start. Getting an EJ25 to work is a lot less work and cost.

Who originally pushed you into the 2.0L swap?

The guy at the shop did.

Suggested it after looking at what EJ25s were around.

Let me see how that is looking, even now...

Yes I see that Rahway one. But the mileage is not listed.

(This was the last search I did on car-part.com so it came right up.)

Then I found that cammed one on EBAY which I think has since been sold, and he steered me away from THAT one, told me it "wouldn't even run" if put in...
Screenshot_20210129-082859_Chrome.jpg

I got an idea, supercharge it! Now you are already mapped somewhat rich to handle the boost!

The MAP may not handle 1.5 ATM though ....

Forget it; It was a flash in the Brain pan.
Too bad it didnt have a distributor. Then you could deep 6 the F.I and throw a bug spray kit on it,

Back