John Deere d100

I have d100 for 2 years and deck is starting to rust. Mom had older John Deere rider that only lasted 2 years from deck rot then she bought the D100 in 2012. I got with 30 hours so I have been cleaning the deck regularly since I have been using it. Question is if anyone else have problems with deck rusting out? I need to get a better mower soon as this one only has 150 hours but I work it hard. 3 acres with lots of trees, shrubs and several gardens. I regularly clean ditches and pick up debris in a cart but have to keep it light as it is not meant for the work I do. Looking at specs looks like a Cub Cadet 46 is better suited but family is John Deere so that is the reason for question. Zero turn is out.

I have d100 for 2 years and deck is starting to rust. Mom had older John Deere rider that only lasted 2 years from deck rot then she bought the D100 in 2012. I got with 30 hours so I have been cleaning the deck regularly since I have been using it. Question is if anyone else have problems with deck rusting out? I need to get a better mower soon as this one only has 150 hours but I work it hard. 3 acres with lots of trees, shrubs and several gardens. I regularly clean ditches and pick up debris in a cart but have to keep it light as it is not meant for the work I do. Looking at specs looks like a Cub Cadet 46 is better suited but family is John Deere so that is the reason for question. Zero turn is out.
Three acres? You need something bigger. 48” to 54” would be better.

I second that. You need a bigger one. I don't have a degree but my old lt1000s have very little rust
Here’s my personal opinion. If I had three acres to mow, I would go with a ZTR with 54” to 60” swath. Mowing grass all day in the south isn’t a pleasurable experience. @tiger862 , give Scooter’s Small Engine Repair & Sandblasting a call and see what they have in stock.

Last edited:
hahahahaha Auto correct. I don't have a "Deere". LOL
I only have an acre and half, but it pretty clear. I have two old 42 inch cut Craftsman LT1000s and a 2020 Cub Cadet XT2 with a 48inch deck and locking rear. If I had 3 acres it would be 54inch or better.

Here’s my personal opinion. If I had three acres to mow, I would go with a ZTR with 54” to 60” swath. Mowing grass all day in the south isn’t a pleasurable experience. @tiger862 , give Scooter’s Small Engine Repair & Sandblasting a call and see what they have in stock.
Can't use a ZTR as ground is to soft

The paint on the decks isn't great, but storage and cleaning the deck can make a huge difference. I have a 2005 G110 Deere with a 54" deck, it was the "garden tractor" version that home depot sold for 2 years, so it has the same paint and basic construction. It now has over 800 hours of heavy use and the deck is in great condition. I never store the tractor outside, only mow the grass when it is dry, and use a leaf blower to blow off any debris from the top of the deck after mowing. I also scrape off any built up grass from the bottom of the deck before winter storage (once a year).

If you are getting a ton of build up under the deck, you are mowing grass that is too wet. Blowing the debris off the top of the deck is a huge factor also, and I've seen many decks rust from the top down through.

The deck on my 42 inch John Deere L111 2004 is good. I do like jeepman3071 above. Mow dry, blow dry deck to & bottom when finished mowing. Ed

Haven’t had any issues. My grandma bought a new John Deere E100 last year I inspected under the deck and it looks good she mows four yards. The mower already has 75 hours on it after one season.

The paint on the decks isn't great, but storage and cleaning the deck can make a huge difference. I have a 2005 G110 Deere with a 54" deck, it was the "garden tractor" version that home depot sold for 2 years, so it has the same paint and basic construction. It now has over 800 hours of heavy use and the deck is in great condition. I never store the tractor outside, only mow the grass when it is dry, and use a leaf blower to blow off any debris from the top of the deck after mowing. I also scrape off any built up grass from the bottom of the deck before winter storage (once a year).

If you are getting a ton of build up under the deck, you are mowing grass that is too wet. Blowing the debris off the top of the deck is a huge factor also, and I've seen many decks rust from the top down through.
I clean after each mow. Wash it down with garden hose on high pressure since first one only lasted 2 years. This one is 8 years old with rust around the shoot. Like I said it gets worked not just mowing. Looked today and it is d110.

@tiger862
Have you thought about replacing the mower deck? You certainly can and it’s a lot cheaper than a new mower. My dad ordered one for his D100. I changed it out for him and leveled it. It came complete with new bearings, pullies, Springs and belts. The John Deere dealer can get you one or you can order one from The Green Part store.

Last edited:
@tiger862
Have you thought about replacing the mower deck? You certainly can and it’s a lot cheaper than a new mower. My dad ordered one for his D100. I changed it out for him and leveled it. It came complete with new bearings, pullies, Springs and belts. The John Deere dealer can get you one or you can order one from The Green Part store.
Yes. 700 vs 2k I still have to remove the deck so won't know what extent the rust yes.

I use a leaf blower to clean top of deck after mowing . Also , for engine and above the transmission .

Just an update. Took deck off and under the deck is rusty but not rusted through. What I noticed is I am not doing a great job at cleaning as I use the water port to clean underneath deck then spray all debris on top of deck as well as sticking hose in covers. Once I got deck out from under and removed covers the amount of debris would make you think I never cleaned it. Flipping upside-down was another shock as I had to take a chisel and tap with a hammer to get heavier stuff with a scraper for rest. I then sprayed off what was left let dry then some John Deere yellow rattle can. Sharpened blades and greased spindle which will need replacing in the near future. Got back together and quiet once again since grease took up slack in spindles. Did get a chance to look at build date which is March 2015 so 6 years old. I will do better at cleaning up after cuts and try to get a couple more years out of it. Hopefully rain will hold off long enough to do 150 hour maintenance.

Those water wash ports are hard on decks. It reduces the life of the bearings and if you don’t get it 100% clean, the grass really hardens onto the deck.

best you can do is cut when it’s dry and use a leaf blower.

Those water wash ports are hard on decks. It reduces the life of the bearings and if you don’t get it 100% clean, the grass really hardens onto the deck.

best you can do is cut when it’s dry and use a leaf blower.
If I wait for it to dry it would be head high. We have had 20+ inches of rain so far and 5 more coming in next couple of days. Just went down from 8 inches Friday so in 7 days could have close to 15 inches. Ditches are full.

I blow the top of my mower off with a leaf blower. Under the deck, I use a water hose with a spray nozzle. Mine has the wash out ports but, I will not use those. They don’t work very well for one and using them with the blades engaged introduces water into the spindle bearings. Cutting grass when it’s dry? That’s not always an option.

Back