The John Deere D100 Lawn Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
Im considering the Deere D100 entry level Lawn Tractor, this machine is all I would really need. I like the idea of the gear drive over hydro too. Ive heard from people, and read on the internetz that there is a difference in quality between the J.D. riders sold at the big box stores, compared to the units sold at dealerships. Is this really true when it comes to the D100 too? From what I read J.D. states that the units are made and come from the same line, and there is no difference. But dealerships, and customers swear there is a huge quality drop-off, and the units sold at Big box stores are pure junk. Not to mention J.D. lies about units being the same. Opinions, facts anyone?

Maybe its just issues with assembly? maybe the JD dealerships take a little more time and care assembling the tractors than the employees at the big box stores? I used to work back in the stock room at sears when I was in high school, and when craftsman lawn tractors came in, there were usually a few items that had to be installed, I'm sure this is the same way for JD dealerships or the big box stores.

What you said, the D100 is an entry level machine. They are good little tractors for an acre or less of flat lawn. If you have a larger area or hilly lawn or a lawn with obstacles such as a lot of trees or shrubs you will be more pleased if you step up to the two pedal hydrostatic transmission. I have owned the gear drive and the hydro transmission and the hydro is way faster and easier to operate. You can test drive both and then decide.Not a big price difference and the hydro is worth the extra money. All JD machines are built by JD but the base machines are just that, entry level. You wouldn't buy a Ford Focus and then complain to the dealer that you expected it to ride like a Lincoln. I paid almost $5,000 for my LX series JD in 1998 and have spent less than $100.00 on repairs since new. Good luck with your decision.

I recently looked at the JD100 and others as well. I went with the Craftsman YT3000. I found it to be a better machine. I found the controls to be easier to work and the Craftsman has a 21 HP engine compared to the smaller(17 HP) JD model.

100_1505.jpg

Last edited:
I've spent a lot of time on a Lowe's John Deere, an L111. I think it's a high quality piece, and there's never been a single issue with it. It has some of the same features that the "real" John Deeres have, like the digital maintenance meter, the nice high back seat and nice steering wheel.

I think the biggest difference between a "real" John Deere and a Lowe's John Deere is that the ones sold at dealers are generally higher-trim models with things like power steering, four-wheel steering, rear tail lamps, etc. Think Cadillac ATS vs. Chevy Cruze. I don't think the "build quality" is much different between the two, but the level of features certainly is.

I would highly recommend the hydro drive, unless you absolutely have something against them. I've used a number of lawn tractors, hydro and standard, and John Deere really has a nicely sorted hydro unit. It never bucks, it never skips, it's very smooth and fluid (pardon the pun). It's very enjoyable to use.

The Deere's sold at the dealerships are much better built and have heavier frames and decks... BUT remember, they are much higher in cost. What you get at the big box stores is an affordable, nice machine for the money.

The D series is just the new L series. When people say Deere's from a "big box store" they mean the D or L line of tractors, and they compare them to the x300 line that sells at an implement dealer. That line is a much better machine, at about twice the price.

It really depends on what you need. The JD d100 would be comparable to other big box riding mowers and priced accordingly. I think some JD fans probably don't like that JD even competes in this market.

If you're buying from HD or Lowes get a 10% off movers coupon. HD will accept the Lowes coupon no problem.

FWIW, the x300 line is built near me whereas the 100 series is built in IIRC Tennessee, but not here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
The Deere's sold at the dealerships are much better built and have heavier frames and decks... BUT remember, they are much higher in cost. What you get at the big box stores is an affordable, nice machine for the money.

Before I bought the Craftsman i checked with an independent JD dealer and he told me the D100 he sells is the same mower as the one Lowes sells. Also the same price.

Originally Posted By: BR549
Tig, I bet that Craftsman will get some kind of Mobil 1
grin.gif

I have mowed 4 times with the new mower and I do plan to put M1 10-30 or 0-40 in it soon.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I contacted my local J.D. dealer today, He quoted me $1599 for the D110, which turns out is $100.00 cheaper then if I were to buy it at Home Depot. Maybe they make up for the price with inflated delivery charges, I forgot to ask...........So anyway if I can draw an conclusion, it seems like the D/LA lines of J.D. are the same where ever they are bought. I noticed my local J.D. dealership doesnt even advertise the fact that they carry the D100 series. They tend to push the upper trims

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I use Rotella in all my lawn equipment motors... I actually think its works better then Mobil 1.

I have used M1 10-30 and 5-30 in my walk behind, self propelled Honda mower(23years old) and it still runs great. How can I beat that?

A D100 from lowes or Home Depot are EXACTLY the same as a D100 from your JD dealer.
Anyone that tells you different is full of Sh**.
John Deere says they are the same, and the mechanics at my local Jd dealer also say they are identical.
I prefer to buy from my dealer than some box store, prices are the same either place in my area. I prefer the service and knowledge at my dealer.
Yes, a D100 is an entry level machine, but they are a good machine if it fits your needs. I think the quality is better than comparable MTD or Craftsman. That is my experience and opinion.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
I contacted my local J.D. dealer today, He quoted me $1599 for the D110, which turns out is $100.00 cheaper then if I were to buy it at Home Depot. Maybe they make up for the price with inflated delivery charges, I forgot to ask...........So anyway if I can draw an conclusion, it seems like the D/LA lines of J.D. are the same where ever they are bought. I noticed my local J.D. dealership doesnt even advertise the fact that they carry the D100 series. They tend to push the upper trims

My local dealer said he would match Lowe's price a month ago at $1499 for the D100. I got the Craftsman on sale for $1425, and I believe it's a better mower.

Last edited:
I recently see that our sears stores are going out of business here in town. Im not sure if this is across the board or just specific stores. Maybe you could score a great price. I know our local store has everything marked 30% off and will probably cut further as the days dwindle down until closing.

Most John Deere dealer's don't really push their "D" series for a reason, too many unhappy customer's. I certainly wouldn't waste my money on one either. Way too many consumer complaint's. They do not have a good reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back