Resurrecting the John Deere 210

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1975 I purchased one of the first John Deere 210 garden tractors built. The serial number shows it was the 516th unit built. It was the first 200 series that my local John Deere dealership sold.

In 1991 we moved to a larger property and I put the 210 in storage in favor of a larger garden tractor. After 5 years of trouble from the Sears garden tractor, in 1995 I traded it in on a John Deere 325. The 325 served me well until the summer of 2010 when the engine finally failed with 2132 hours on it. To me it wasn’t worth fixing, and I purchased a John Deere 757 ZTrak.

The ZTrak is a fantastic mower, but it can’t pull a trailer, spreader or sprayer. I decided to see if the 210 would run, and if it did I plan to use it for the things the 757 can’t do.

In August of 2010 I rolled the 210 out of the back storage building and power washed 19 years of dirt and dust. The original tires still held air. I replaced the points, condenser, spark plug, starter and carb. The starter was bad, so I replaced it along with some wiring. I changed the oil, and put in a cheap battery. Other than the battery and oil the parts were all purchased from the same John Deere dealership that I purchased the tractor from in 1975.

On September 18, 2010 I was ready to see if it would start.

Trying to start the 210

Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
Very nice. What oil did you put in it?

I used Rotella 15w-40. I'll run it for a couple of hours and then change it again. I like Rotella for older tractor and lawn equipment engines-it's inexpensive and has a great additive package.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
What's in it for an engine? Kawasaki?

The older Deere's used single cylinder Kohler engines. The engine is orignal and never been rebuilt.

I looked at an ancient JD about eight years ago. I mean ancient. It was very much used and being sold by a JD dealership. The thing looked like it had been through a war. Hardly any original paint and what was there was a darker green than used today. The dealer had the nerve to be asking $1000.00 for it. It had a single cylinder engine in it and the sales guy said it was a Kawasaki engine. That's the reason I asked.

Awesome. That Kohler-K didn't even puff any smoke on start-up. I too like R-T 15w40 for Kohler K's. Some of the die hard enthusiasts get all hot and bothered if you don't use SAE30, but I honestly think 15w40 is a much better oil for them. Your 210 brings back memories of our ~1970 110. A great piece of equipment for sure. BTW, what a great shop you've got there! Ultimate man cave.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Awesome. That Kohler-K didn't even puff any smoke on start-up. I too like R-T 15w40 for Kohler K's. Some of the die hard enthusiasts get all hot and bothered if you don't use SAE30, but I honestly think 15w40 is a much better oil for them. Your 210 brings back memories of our ~1970 110. A great piece of equipment for sure. BTW, what a great shop you've got there! Ultimate man cave.

Joel

It actually did puff a bit of smoke for a few minutes, but the camera didn't pick it up against the light color of the shop floor.

Once I ran it for a bit the smoke was gone. I suspect the smoke came from the fogging oil I used every couple of years to keep the engine from locking up. It didn't smoke at all when I ran it this morning.

I also like the old 110's. I've been keeping my eyes open and if I find the right one on Craigslist I might pick it up just for a kicks.

Pop, i like your 210. I have a 216, bought it in 1996 from a local John Deere dealer. I overhauled the K-341 around 2000 or '01. Currently just about done restoring it. I also have a 1970 John Deere 120. Don't forget to change out the gear oil in the transaxle. I like to use delvac 1300 in my old Kohler's. I really get a laugh out of grown men buying these new John Deere's from Home Depot and think they are really getting a good machine.

"I really get a laugh out of grown men buying these new John Deere's from Home Depot and think they are really getting a good machine."

Me too. Those cheap yellow and green machines should be named John Doe not John Deere.

It's really disgraceful to see such a good name sullied by having their colours and name painted on much inferior non JD manufactured products.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I also like the old 110's. I've been keeping my eyes open and if I find the right one on Craigslist I might pick it up just for a kicks.

I always keep my eyes peeled as well for an old 100 or 200 series. 300's are typically way over budget and I don't care to get into the old $$$$ horizontally opposed Onan twin cyl engines. I'd love to get one to replace my Case 220 backup machine. The Case is a BEAST but as much as I try to like it, I just don't care for the Case Hydrive and the left side deck discharge.

Joel

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I really get a laugh out of grown men buying these new John Deere's from Home Depot and think they are really getting a good machine.

I sure agree that the big box store lawn tractors don't hold a candle to the equipment available through a Deere dealer.

When my 325 finally died I decided to change my mowing strategy and begin using a zero turn mower. I checked the box stores and didn't care for the units available so I picked up a commercial 757 from my Deere dealer. The quality difference is very noticeable. My 757 is used (4 years old), was inspected by the Deere dealer before he sold it to me, and cost about the same as a new one from the box store.

One of the interesting things is my Deere dealer has a couple models of lawn tractor that are only a couple hundred more than the box store models, but clearly built far heavier. They also always have used equipment that's been checked out by them.

My $2800.00 Husqvarna (AYP/Kawasaki engine) has nine seasons/400 hours on it and is still performing admirably. I'll continue to use it until it begins to fail. If and when it does, I'll be buying a Kubota. As much as I like the Deere higher end products, I find Kubota offers far more for the money in both quality and amenities.

I have a buddy who paid $25k for a Deere yard tractor with cutting and snow throwing attachments and removable cab. He has to take the cab off in the summer because he bakes in it and in the winter he freezes because it has no heat. For that kind of money, one can buy a much better equipped Kubota with enclosed cab, heat and air.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
...I really get a laugh out of grown men buying these new John Deere's from Home Depot and think they are really getting a good machine....

Many of the pilgrims don't realize they aren't getting a "real" JD, but the LA line is a good step above the typical low-priced lines and will generally serve the typical homeowner well for a good number of years if well cared for. My neighbor recently opted for an LA105 from Home Depot instead of a Hardee(?) from Tractor Supply. The JD was only about $150 more after a 10% discount from HD, and looks to be superior in many ways. I think these lawn tractors represent a pretty good value and fill a niche for those who don't need a full-on garden tractor that will last 30+ years.

As for me, the 214 I purchased new in 1976 is still serving me well. I'll get some pics up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back