John Deere X738

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last winter I picked up a John Deere Signature X738 at an estate sale. I didn't really plan to buy it, but I was having fun bidding against someone else and ended up getting it for $7,050 which is well below retail. It's a 2015 model with less than 200 hours on it. The deck is a 60" high capacity deck with auto connect-just drive over it and flip a couple levers and it connects itself. Flip a couple levers again and it disconnects itself and just drive off over the top of the deck. Pretty nifty. I used it to mow this weekend and I have to say it's fairly impressive; not only is it physically large, but it handles extremely well and is surprisingly quiet. The power steering is genuinely effortless; it almost needs a spinner to do end row turns quicker. I have to give John Deere a lot of credit-this really is one very nice machine and I find myself liking it more and more each time I use it. We never had enough snow this winter to really try out the 4 wheel drive, but by all accounts it works quite well on the X series tractors. Being a 2015 model, it's still under the 4 year/700 hour warranty.

For sheer speed the zero turn can't be beat-it takes about 20 minutes longer to mow our 3 finished acres with the X738 than it does with the 757 (both have 60 inch mower decks). But the X738 will do a lot that the 757 simply can't-it pulls the sprayer, the aerator, dethatcher and trailer, all of which I do with the little 210 now.

It may be time to say goodbye to the 757 and 210, and downsize to just one piece of equipment that will do the job of both. Our local John Deere dealership also has a 54" snow blade for the X738 that I can pick up for $800, so that may take the place of the Ford 2N that I use to plow the driveway in the winter too. Between those 3 units I can recoup about half of what I paid for the X738, and I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of both the 210 and 757, as well as the 2N if I also decide to sell it. I've owned the 210 for 42 years, the 757 for 8 years, and the 2N for 23 years.

The deere X series is nice. once you step up past the big box store junk..
They have some very sturdy and easy to use tractors.

The prices however are staggering.

They still want $3000 for old 318's here.

I have a ton of seat time in an X595 and I agree with your evaluation. They are great little tractors that will work hard all day and are extremely capable.

Thats a mint old 210.
My 212 has the bigger 47" deck with wheels on front and back (vs just wheels on back of deck)
For $300 its been reliable.. Mine is in nowhere close to as mint a condition as that.
In fact it had to ride out the winter tarped outside.. going to get a storage shed this year.
Its been a good mowing machine.

You quickly miss hydrostatic drive for 3 point turns and trimming and my cable deck lift needs adjusted.. one setting is too low.. the next is too high.. the adjuster is frozen.. but not a big enough deal to fix until I tear it down for some maintenance.. like variator belt replacement.

Overall its a very solid tractor. I've been tempted to buy a 316 though. Being on the young side of 40 I'd like something where I dont have to fiddle with points ignition.

POP, you should never need another GT, or ZTR. you're golden with that herd.

Love the x series Deere tractors. Makes me want my old 332 diesel back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Would you ever consider the diesel available on the x75X series?

Not really. For my needs, the gas version does everything I'd ever want. Although if I came across one at an auction for a similar price I might just bid on it and see if I could change my mind.

I advertised the 757 on Craigslist and had it sold in a couple of hours. I originally paid $3,000 for it and I was asking $2,100. We bargained for a few minutes and settled on $1,800. Given that I've had it for almost 10 years, I think I got my money's worth from it.

Next to go will be the 210.

Originally Posted By: Rand
The prices however are staggering.

They still want $3000 for old 318's here.

The salesman at the local Deere dealership is a good friend of ours. According to him I picked up the X738 at about $2,400 less than used retail. Even 700 series that are a decade old are in the $5,000+ range. At this point, I could easily get almost almost as much as I originally paid for the 210-not a bad investment given the number of years it worked for me. That's another reason I like John Deere; a higher up-front cost, but the resale value is much higher than anything else.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
Very nice! I was at the dealer Friday looking at an X754.

I suspect that the 4 wheel steer version could almost do our 3 acres as fast as the 757. Most of my time was lost around trees.

The one annoyance with the X738 is the ROI button-the mower deck shuts down when you back up unless you hold a little button down. That will be bypassed within the next few days.

Interesting. I didn't know they made commercial grade riding mowers. Haven't seen any at my john deere dealer. Commercial guys down here don't use them. They use walk behinds, Sanders and ztr mowers

The city here does use some JD commercial grade stuff. My dad even splurged on one for the farm many years back. It was serious overkill, but very sweet! It changed the lawn from a two day ordeal into a three hour breeze.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Interesting. I didn't know they made commercial grade riding mowers. Haven't seen any at my john deere dealer. Commercial guys down here don't use them. They use walk behinds, Sanders and ztr mowers

That's because people who mow for a living have to do it as fast as possible. Some of the newer John Deere zero turn mowers run around 12 mph and Scag has one that will run 16 mph. A conventional garden tractor can't touch that-it would be foolish to use a garden tractor as a commercial mower. But then zero turn mowers don't have the ability to plow snow, and don't do well pulling sprayers and trailers.

Exactly. Two days mowing at the farm was with a JD 318, I believe it was. The commercial grade, like I mentioned, could do it in three hours. But, it didn't seem to have any attachment points for the rototiller.
wink.gif

My Mother-in-law has an older x475 that only has a little over 400 hrs on it. I do all of the maintenance on it throughout the year. The only thing I charge her is for me to get some seat time on it when I'm done. The X Series tractors are pretty tough critters.

L8R,
Matt

Pop, are you still around? I wanted to ask your thoughts on a low-hours JD X758 but I don't see your name on the user list any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back