Jiffy Lube Synthetic Oil Change - $109.99!

Just at toyota dealer,on their service dept. big sign on the wall seen 83.95 oil change plus for 5k conventional,another sign 119.95 oil change plus and 10k synthetic oil.Still DIY here less 30 minutes done plus car never leaves my garage.
That's good and you know the drain plug didn't get cross threaded or put in to loose or too tight!

They just opened a brand new Jiffy Lube 1/4 mile from my neighborhood.

I have two experiences with them and our shop truck. First time they didn't change oil filter, second time they left the oil filter housing un-latched from their attempted "Upsale" of an air filter. Both times I have an invoice signed and SECOND CHECKED by someone else (with their signature.)

No freaking way would I take my vehicles to these clowns.

Dealership is no better to be honest. See my thread in the maintenance forum. Just can't trust ANYBODY these days to do it right.

Update: Forgot to add that I went to an NTB for an oil change on company vehicle and they left the oil cap off...........

Nearby Jiffy Lube:

$109.99 for 5-quarts of full synthetic (PP at most locations)

Each additional quart is $12.

I recognize that most BITOGers change their own oil and chase sales to save a few dollars on the cost of oil.

This pricing at Jiffy Lube illustrates that we are already saving a significant amount of money by DIYing, regardless of which oil we use. In other words, don't lose too much sleep if you missed a Walmart oil clearance. ;)
It also explains the army of cars out there burning oil. 10 years ago an oil and filter change was $30 at most mechanics shops, (ok, they used barrel fill conventional). Synthetic changes, never seen them for more than $50-$60 at independent places. $110, i'd think that was pricey for even a dealership.

The oil is not going up in price like that to justify it. PP synthetic is probably $3/qt when purchased in a shop drum and filters in bulk are $3-$4. Typical oil change is $20 in materials and 10 mins of shop time. I know for sure the techs aren't getting paid $50/change so what gives with pricing like that> weird times.

When I was in college I would pay a Jiffy Lube $20 cash to do an oil change with my supplied oil for my Sti.
$109 for PP is RIDICULOUS. At most they have 8 under tray fasteners and a drain plug.
I can siphon my Gti and replace the filter without ever even bending over.
We have a local quick lube joint that still does mine (only in the winter when I don't want to roll around on cold concrete) for $20 if I bring the oil and filter. If I use their oil it becomes $50 even with my filter. Worth the 20 bucks to me in cold weather.

We have a local quick lube joint that still does mine (only in the winter when I don't want to roll around on cold concrete) for $20 if I bring the oil and filter. If I use their oil it becomes $50 even with my filter. Worth the 20 bucks to me in cold weather.
Its not so cold or wet in the first of April and the first of October that's my philosophy.

It also explains the army of cars out there burning oil. 10 years ago an oil and filter change was $30 at most mechanics shops, (ok, they used barrel fill conventional). Synthetic changes, never seen them for more than $50-$60 at independent places. $110, i'd think that was pricey for even a dealership.

The oil is not going up in price like that to justify it. PP synthetic is probably $3/qt when purchased in a shop drum and filters in bulk are $3-$4. Typical oil change is $20 in materials and 10 mins of shop time. I know for sure the techs aren't getting paid $50/change so what gives with pricing like that> weird times.
So what margin do you think is "justifiable" for a shop? Things are not what they were 10 years ago. There's a lot more that goes into the price of something than just materials and labor directly related to the work. the cost of materials, labor, AND overhead has gone up an incredible amount. In my area, shops get by charging $105+ for a synthetic oil change, all day every day. That's what the market will bear (easily), so that's the market price.

So what margin do you think is "justifiable" for a shop? Things are not what they were 10 years ago. There's a lot more that goes into the price of something than just materials and labor directly related to the work. the cost of materials, labor, AND overhead has gone up an incredible amount. In my area, shops get by charging $105+ for a synthetic oil change, all day every day. That's what the market will bear (easily), so that's the market price.
My I don't think price so much only if I can do it for less than 1/3 of what they are charging they aren't going to get my business. I know its done right and I don't have to wait for three hours for them to replace the drain plug they lost.

My I don't think price so much only if I can do it for less than 1/3 of what they are charging they aren't going to get my business. I know its done right and I don't have to wait for three hours for them to replace the drain plug they lost.
Yeah, I agree with what you said. I was asking doobadoo since he thinks the price is not justifiable. I completely understand the DIY philosophy.

Back