Jiffy Lube Synthetic Oil Change - $109.99!

The skyrocking oil change prices are probably more to do with wage inflation and property taxes and business taxes than the price of the oil . Engine oil has gone up what maybe 10% in the last 3 years.

That's repeated on here-but it's not true. Dealers, Jiffy Lube Type places, service thousands upon thousands of vehicles without issue. Your statement is just something that's repeated on here so everyone can join hands and sing "kumbaya". Someone who actually worked at a large dealer stated on here mistakes run less than 1 per-cent.
It was true for the oil pan on my old Dodge Caravan. And you may be right that it is less than a one in a hundred visits chance of them screwing up your threads. I neither have data to deny nor confirm that assertion, just the experience of replacing mine.

And I'm not anti-business. I'm happy if they are making a profit. They exist in a free marketplace where consumers have a choice to either use them or not. I don't care if they charge $1000 for an oil change. It is their prerogative what they choose to charge and mine on whom I choose to change the oil.

Reactions: CKN
Just called the local quick oil change shop [ affiliated with Valvoline] here in the great white north. Out the door price including tax is $65 for conventional oil n filter change, $105 including tax for synthetic and "premium" filter. At Walmart, Supertech conventional is $17.50 5/litres and syn is $19,50 5/litres. All prices Canadian dollars. Prices are on the rise. Costco has 2X 5 quart jugs of Kirkland 5w30 $44 Canadian. All these prices were lower a month ago. The price difference conv to syn at the oil change shop is the obvious scam. The overhead must be incredible at a shop on the main street. I suppose if we don't like it, we could start our own shops.

If you start your own shop you have to abide by regulations which adds cost to the business. Then you have insurances, taxes, etc.

So it’s not as clear cut as buying oil from Wally’s.

If you start your own shop you have to abide by regulations which adds cost to the business. Then you have insurances, taxes, etc.

So it’s not as clear cut as buying oil from Wally’s.
Also, shop owners like to have a nice living too. I know quite a few who have $2M+ houses, nice waiting rooms, loaner cars for their customers, etc.

Guess what - they are not the ones offering $109.99 oil changes.

We only have one Zippy lube place here so most of the dealerships have some sort of quick lube going on. Here is what a local GM dealership is charging. Of course it's a way to get you in but at least it's not brutal up front.

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 1.23.12 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 1.23.32 PM.jpg

We only have one Zippy lube place here so most of the dealerships have some sort of quick lube going on. Here is what a local GM dealership is charging. Of course it's a way to get you in but at least it's not brutal up front.

View attachment 91201 View attachment 91202
That is not bad pricing and the QT quantities are decent. I hate the shops that advertise oil change special and then rape you for the couple tenths of a quart over extra charging.

I don't think I could pay enough extra to have to worry about what oil and how much they used, and if the filter and drain plug was tight. And if I've got to get under there and check I might as well do it myself.

Actually my thinking says they'd have to save me about 50% versus doing it myself. Hmm. No, still not worth it. They'd have to pay me at least $500 to convince me to allow them to change my oil.

I don't think I could pay enough extra to have to worry about what oil and how much they used, and if the filter and drain plug was tight. And if I've got to get under there and check I might as well do it myself.

Actually my thinking says they'd have to save me about 50% versus doing it myself. Hmm. No, still not worth it. They'd have to pay me at least $500 to convince me to allow them to change my oil.

Yeah nobody is doing my maintenance either 👍

I feel like a scratched record, but I suggest to people to get a MityVac and do your own changes. At least every other one and leave the filter.
MityVac is maybe $120, $25 for 5qts oil. 30 minutes tops; easy peasy.

Or come and see me and we can hang out in the garage and shoot the breeze while performing a simple service.

I feel like a scratched record, but I suggest to people to get a MityVac and do your own changes. At least every other one and leave the filter.
MityVac is maybe $120, $25 for 5qts oil. 30 minutes tops; easy peasy.

Or come and see me and we can hang out in the garage and shoot the breeze while performing a simple service.

I plan on purchasing one for doing the oil change in the Spring on the Craftsman lawn tractor 👍

C7 Wet Sump took less and C7 Dry Sump took more so based on the volume that looks like a C8 Corvette Change. They spec 0W-40 Dexos 2 so I'm guessing Formula ESP.

Could be their Full Synthetic as well.

People might ask what oil is going in and the attendant will tell them Pennzoil Synthetic. That would be a vague answer for us here but for most people that’s great.

Back