Jaso certified MA

Check the owner's manual. The bikes like that I have owned said to use motor oils of the specified viscosity and grade that do not have the API "energy saving" or "resource conserving" label. That label usually only appears on oils Xw30 and thinner. Most oils @x40 and thicker don't have it. But look just in case.

PS does the manual state that the oil must be JASO certified - like JASO-MA or MA2? None of the bikes I owned required that, but maybe some do?

Last edited:
I've used diesel engine oils in motorcycles with wet clutches without any issues, whether they have the JASO MA rat or not. If you want a good oil at low cost that has JASO MA on the bottle, I'd suggest Rotella T4 15W-40.

There are also some xW-30 oils that are JASO registered. As mentioned ... what does the owner's manual call out for oil specs?

I've used diesel engine oils in motorcycles with wet clutches without any issues, whether they have the JASO MA rat or not. ...
Yes, for example Chevron Delo 400 15w40 worked well in my old '99 Honda Magna VF750C.

I'd just run a JASO rated oil if the owner's manual calls it out ... otherwise, it's just experimentation.

Google JASO 4T_EV_List. It list JASO registered oils. There are other non-registered oils as well.

What bike? You can even goto Walmart and get motorcycle oil that is rated Jaso MA, I use mostly MA/MA2 in my Ninja 650.

Depends on how "risky" you want to be.
  • As said above, you can go the JASO site and find oils on the list and then look for them locally or online.
  • You can go to any store or online and search for "motorcycle oil" and get a lot of oils that are sold as motorcycle oils, but do not actually have the JASO certification label (will say something to the effect of "meets requirements of" or "recommended for" JASO).
  • You can use a HDEO/diesel oil (Rotella is the only current one I know of that does it still) that do not advertise as a motorcycle oil, but have the above language that it meets the spec without actually having the cert label.
  • Or you can use any oil in the correct (or close enough) viscosity that does not have the "energy saving" or "resource conserving" label on it.
In over 90,000 miles of riding with multiple bikes, I have never used an actual JASO certified motor oil (and all were bikes that were JASO bikes).
Lots of "recommended for" and "meets requirements of" oils, and even more just diesel oil or "car oil" without the energy saving label.

My current go to motorcycle oil is Mobil 1 10w-40 high mileage.

I know Castrol GTX 10w-40 (white bottle) was a popular oil to use by many for a long time, but don't see it mentioned as much.

What bike are we talking about?

Last edited:
Back