Rotella T5 and T6 in 10w30

So for an oil to carry this approval, it is also gas rated?
Not many diesel motorcycle engines out there (maybe some old military models), so I'd say the JASO MA spec is gasoline rated, because basically all motorcycles are gas powered.

Not many diesel motorcycle engines out there (maybe some old military models), so I'd say the JASO MA spec is gasoline rated, because basically all motorcycles are gas powered.
I know nothing of motorcycles. Thought maybe it was a transmission or shared sump spec.

I wonder how saying this spec was gas rated because of a listed motorcycle would hold up in a warranty dispute.

I have a zero turn with a gearbox that wants an API SJ gasoline 10w30. Would any diesel 10w30 work? Yes. Will a 0w40 work? Yes. I just want to be warranty complaint for the time being.

. Would any diesel 10w30 work? Yes. Will a 0w40 work? Yes.
Yes... any estblished major brand 30 or 40 grade would work to meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

Blackstone's 35 years worth of racing and street motorcycle oil
analysis shows no significant differences in WEAR between the grades
or brands...

Last edited:
Yes... any estblished major brand 30 or 40 grade would work to meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

Blackstone's 35 years worth of racing and street motorcycle oil
analysis shows no significant differences in WEAR between the grades
or brands...

Did you notice I was referring to a zero turn’s gearbox?

*Black Stone is in Fort Wayne, Indiana by the way. I’m actually from Fort Wayne. Been there, got the shirt.

I know nothing of motorcycles. Thought maybe it was a transmission or shared sump spec.

I wonder how saying this spec was gas rated because of a listed motorcycle would hold up in a warranty dispute.

I have a zero turn with a gearbox that wants an API SJ gasoline 10w30. Would any diesel 10w30 work? Yes. Will a 0w40 work? Yes. I just want to be warranty complaint for the time being.
The JASO MA/MA1/MA2 spec is for sharted sumps with transmission and wet clutch. But there are lots of non-JASO motor oils out there that would meet the specs called out for your zero turn mower, with a gearbox. If you're concerned, contact the manufacture and ask if the oil is API SJ rated, but also JASO MA rated, will it void the warranty. I doubt they would say yes it would.

The JASO MA/MA1/MA2 spec is for sharted sumps with transmission and wet clutch. But there are lots of non-JASO motor oils out there that would meet the specs called out for your zero turn mower, with a gearbox. If you're concerned, contact the manufacture and ask if the oil is API SJ rated, but also JASO MA rated, will it void the warranty. I doubt they would say yes it would.
What is a sharted sump?

Just curious, has anyone has tried the T6 10w30 in their bike yet?

Here is someone who compared 30 grade Honda oil with 30 grade Rotella T6...
ShellRotella5w30.JPG

Correction - over 13 years ago. Sample dates are on the UOA: 01/23/2010 and 04/10/2010.

View attachment 183978
Interesting. So this T6 sample precedes the current JASO MA/MA2 by two complete generations of (2011 & 2020).

Is the 5w30 rating legit? I've never seen T6 in 5w30, but I have seen several people mention that the 5w40 thins out to 5w30 in a shared sump (sharted...lol) rather quickly... So was this originally a 5w40? Or is there a Rotella T6 5w30 hiding somewhere in the annals of history?

Lol. Glenbrook mall is more dangerous.
Yeah, I know. I was referring to FW as a whole, just like the folks talk about Gary as dangerous… when it’s really only maybe a 15-square-block radius (I just realized “a square-block radius” sounds like an oxymoron) that you need to avoid or be very careful in.

Curiously, police data shows that crime increases in proportion to the amount of free stuff that government gives away to the people who live in the affected/benefitted area.

Back