Shell Rotella T5 CK4 15W-40 and 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a two'fer of T5 Rotella.

The 15W-40 I was testing for my truck and the 10W-30 for my motorcycle, trying to follow Honda's recommendation of no moly in the oil (yes I realize it's not JASO MA rated).

The 10W-30 indeed had no (significant) moly so I'll probably try it out after my Actevo runs its course.

The 15W-40 looks pretty solid all around, despite a slightly lower magnesium reading on my sample.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Its been awhile since ive seen it but the T6 15w40 didnt look overly impressive next to the T4 15w40 voas.

I never understand the need for T5.. T4 is great, T6 is synthetic (but looks just as great).

I remember the T5 15-40 looking better than the T4 15W-40 AND especially the T6 15W-40....
I definitely remember deciding not to bother with the T6 15W-40 at all.....their own T6 5W-40 looked better!

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I never understand the need for T5.. T4 is great, T6 is synthetic (but looks just as great).

T6 tends to shear quickly in shared sump engines. The T5 not so much, and the advantage over T4 is that it's got some synthetic in it, if that makes you feel good.

Last edited:
It looks to me like Shell may have modified the additive package for the T5 10w-30 from two or three years ago. That boron is showing much higher and the magnesium is much lower from my UOA.

Thanks for the post. I run the 10/30 in my tdi, the add pack looks great, and its cheap on sale, $11 at Amazon last time. Ill be posting a UOA in about 2500 miles, we can see how they compare.

My old 12 valve takes 3 gallons of oil. I live in northern Colorado and am thinking about 2 gallons of the T5 15w40 and 1 gallon of the T5 10w30 just to help with colder starts or just go 50/50

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by JustinSL
Why not just go with T6 5w-40 for cold weather?

I've tried it and it seemed like I got more spots on the driveway with it coming from the tube underneath

Thank you for these two VOAs, it's good to see the two viscosity grades side by side.

Both are healthy in zinc ~1200 ppm for the 15W40 and ~1100 ppm for the 10W30, so I could see both working for motorcycle or flat tappet engines. Both should have good shear resistance too.

When looking at the Rotella 10w30's, T4 conventional and T5 synthetic blend their really isn't that much difference when reviewing the product properties detail. The only really difference is the dynamic viscosity based on the numbers. Everything else seems pretty evenly matched, must not be much synthetic base in the T5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back