"V-twin" Oil

Since Harley's are not wet clutch, and it calls for 20w50, is there harm in using automotive 20w50?

No harm... by the additive numbers either 20w50 V-Twin or 15w50 Auto oil will meet
and exceed your mileage expectations... the biggest difference is cost because
motorcycles are small part of the main oil market share our motorcycle oil is chiefly
reformulated Auto oil... In fact we don't find sufficient differences in additive package
between Mobil 1 15w50 Auto or Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin oil to cause any harm to our engines...

M15w50AutoM20w50V2.jpg

Last edited:
I have been buying JT-8 15W-50 in 5 gallon buckets lately, $79.00 on sale. Between my Son and I, we maintain 4 HD bikes. I also used this oil in shared sump bikes with no issues.
Yes, I wish I could use it all. Seems easier to buy the 5 gallon buckets at times *LOL*
Mystik website used to help out more than it does now. But an internet search engine does show where it can be bought. I always got mine from Rural King in the 2 gallon jugs, I would get two at a time for bike and boat. Just so one of them could stay sealed for a while.
I see Bains sells it too.

I originally around 2015 started buying it instead of Harley oil as it I understood it correctly Citgo produced Harley oil and Mystic is Citgo's consumer brand. But regardless, it was one of the only 15/50 Diesel oils sold in the USA.

I didnt know about this oil when I had my shared sump bikes but I did use 15/40 diesel oils in those. Except on my Yamaha Star 1300, summer time I used a 20/50 conventional Valvoline motorcycle oil as summers were typically over 90 degrees everyday for 3 to 4 months. Winters I was back to 15/40 one winter a mix of 10/40-20/50 Valvoline conventional motorcycle oil.

I have a friend who is the premier designer and manufacturer manufacturer of high performance cams for Harley-Davidsons and he swears by Penn Grade 20w-50. It's called "the original Green oil". This old formula used to be the original Kendall GT-1. However this formula was no longer used by Kendall when they got bought out by Conoco Phillips. He personally runs it in all of his Harleys and that's what he recommends.

I have a friend who is the premier designer and manufacturer manufacturer of high performance cams for Harley-Davidsons and he swears by Penn Grade 20w-50. It's called "the original Green oil". This old formula used to be the original Kendall GT-1. However this formula was no longer used by Kendall when they got bought out by Conoco Phillips. He personally runs it in all of his Harleys and that's what he recommends.

Never heard of it -- thank you.

Summit has a good price on it. I might have to give it a try.

Since the HD is not a shared sump,I wonder if the PG 1 High Performance semi synthetic 20-50 might be a better choice ?

Back