SYNTEC BLEND IN H-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine wants to use Syntec Blend 20W50 (I think) in his H-D Fatboy twin cam. I told him it was a bad idea, and recommended H-D dino, H-D synthetic, Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50, etc. Was I wrong? Is Syntec Blend automotive oil okay for the crankcase in his Harley?
confused.gif

There's nothing wrong with Syntec blend, but there are better choices. I use Redline 20w50 in the winter and 20-60 in the summer. These engine really elevate oil temps., so if someone decides not to use a oil cooler, a premium syn. oil should be used. Redline, Amsoil, and Mobil 1 are just a few. Castrol also make a full syn. motorcycle 20-50 oil that some of my friends use, but it is a little pricy.

It will probably shear to a 30 weight, or a very light 40 at best. Mid 40 weight oil is good in the HD engine, but I wouldn't want it to get any thinner than that.

I know I sound like a clanging cymbal sometimes, but have your friend look at my Havoline 20W50 UOA's here (see motorcycle UOA section, search "Havoline"). No one's UOA's on HD engines come anywhere close to how well the Havoline did in my engine. It easily beat the synthetic oils on the board, as well as other dinos...

Do not believe those who make excuses for high wear metal counts in UOA's. High wear metal counts almost certainly mean one of two things: Either the engine is corroding inside, or there is actually breaching of the hydrodynamic film and barrier layer as well--causing the wear.

Watch the wear metal counts in your UOA's, and you'll know whether the oil is doing its job or not.
wink.gif

Dan

With the twin cam motors it's pretty inportant to keep the oil in grade. 20w50 frequent changes, or like mentioned if you know conditons warrant it a 60w help keep the viscosity up. The oil pump has two seperate outputs, 1 high pressure/low volume, the other low pressure/ high volume. Won't go into which does what and why, just let it be said that it all works better with the right viscosity.

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
No one's UOA's on HD engines come anywhere close to how well the Havoline did in my engine. It easily beat the synthetic oils on the board, as well as other dinos...

Has anyone done a synthetic UOA on a hardley with 2300 miles? That doesn't really seem like a fair comparison.

Actually, there are some short drain UOA's here using syn oils. But even if there weren't, it's an easy enough matter to calculate ppm per 1000 miles and compare that way.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back