Jalopnik on warming up cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I add this to the oil and fuel, I also rub some of it on tires. Best protection against cold ever. Baby seal oil works equally well...

Hot-Sale-Thailand-snake-venom-herbal-massage-oil-shu-by-the-adjustable-oil-strain-spurs-rheumatoid.jpg

It's been 24 degrees here each morning. Not as cold as some parts for sure. However-before the wife and I head to the gym in the morning I start the car-turn on the seat warmers and let things warm up for about 10 minutes.

If this wears out the car I will buy another one.

Not going to lie even the "frigid" low to mid teens we get here I only wait ~30 seconds or so before driving off (5W-40) and I take it very easy until I get some movement on the temp gauge. She groans and moans more than usual for the first 1/2 mile or so and the transmission shift quality is pretty [censored] for the first few accelerations.

On another note E85 starts causing problems around the 20-25 degree mark and it just gets worse the colder it gets, starts just fine but the hesitation and bogging down from a standing start for the first minute or so of driving even after 30 seconds of idling is just downright maddening and in the case of pulling out of my apartment building can be dangerous due to traffic. She is going back onto Premium once this tank of E85 is gone. Thinking the tank I am on is still a summer blend E85 as I did not have these kinda issues last winter.

-25 to-28 c, or -18 F here tonight and tomorrow night. No block heater in my wife's car, but I sure wish it had one! PUP 5W-30 in it and it has been starting great so far this winter in this rather, unlike the norm, temperatures.

It will be warmed up at least 10 minutes prior tomorrow morning and maybe longer, or at least 2 remote starts. We haven't had temps like this in a long time around here that I can remember? Usually February is our cold(er) month but hopefully we are getting it now instead of 2 or more doses!
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
The bad thing about driving off in a stone cold car? Sometimes the windshield can fog up very quickly and then freeze in very short order bringing visibility down to zero in just a few seconds.

Surprised this didn't get a bit more rec, it's very true. 5 minutes isn't unreasonable at all in this -22C weather.

Originally Posted By: pezzy669
Not going to lie even the "frigid" low to mid teens we get here I only wait ~30 seconds or so before driving off (5W-40) and I take it very easy until I get some movement on the temp gauge. She groans and moans more than usual for the first 1/2 mile or so and the transmission shift quality is pretty [censored] for the first few accelerations.

On another note E85 starts causing problems around the 20-25 degree mark and it just gets worse the colder it gets, starts just fine but the hesitation and bogging down from a standing start for the first minute or so of driving even after 30 seconds of idling is just downright maddening and in the case of pulling out of my apartment building can be dangerous due to traffic. She is going back onto Premium once this tank of E85 is gone. Thinking the tank I am on is still a summer blend E85 as I did not have these kinda issues last winter.

I run E85 in my Silverado year round, and it has never failed to start, and runs fine after 10 to 15 seconds.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
The bad thing about driving off in a stone cold car? Sometimes the windshield can fog up very quickly and then freeze in very short order bringing visibility down to zero in just a few seconds.

Surprised this didn't get a bit more rec, it's very true. 5 minutes isn't unreasonable at all in this -22C weather.

I mentioned that in another post, safety first, foremost and always.
My wife's car started great this morning. It didn't struggle at all, but I wasn't in it to watch the oil pressure gauge, if it has one?
Just as she was leaving, it quit due to the 10 minutes being up but I would assume it was fairly warm in there with the heat on and with her heated seats?

I started the car this morning at -26C and got my hockey gear off the porch, and drove away about 30 seconds after the start. No fogging to worry about as I keep it on defrost with fresh (dry) air. The poly motor mount was quite solid though, and it was a bit rattelly in the car for the first 5 min, but somehow it must heat up a bit and soften.

I personally think all this talk about warming up your vehicle is somehow doing it harm is just a bunch of nonsense. I've been starting my car and letting it warm up at idle for 10-15 minutes during the winter before I drive for years. The car now has over 325K miles and it still runs just fine. Besides, my car exists to serve me, not the other way around...I want a warm interior and clear windows when I drive away...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I personally think all this talk about warming up your vehicle is somehow doing it harm is just a bunch of nonsense. I've been starting my car and letting it warm up at idle for 10-15 minutes during the winter before I drive for years. The car now has over 325K miles and it still runs just fine. Besides, my car exists to serve me, not the other way around...I want a warm interior and clear windows when I drive away...

^^This!
I go by the thermometer as well as the windscreen.
If it's below 20F or so, my wife's car will get about a ten minute warm up, for her comfort. If there's ice or frost on the windshield at any temperature, I'll give it the same.
On a below 0F morning, it'll get more like fifteen minutes of warm-up and under those conditions my car will get maybe ten minutes.
A little heat is always nice on a really cold morning as is not having the moisture in your breath freeze on the inside of the windshield.

My WRX idles high until the OIL temp hits 100F. I drive off when the idle drops. Thankfully my car is in a heated garage, so it takes only 3 mins., give or take.

My practice is to start up(or boot up in the case of a Prius or any other Toyota/Ford hybrid), put on my seatbelt and let the engine run for 10-20 seconds to get the oil moving and drive off. In the case of a hybrid, I let the ICE spin up normally.

When it's cold, HVAC off and idle for at least a full minute or more and when the temp gauge is above C or the light turns off then HVAC can be on. I feel it's important to let the oil pressure build but it doesn't hurt to get the cats to light up.

Originally Posted By: babyivan
My WRX idles high until the OIL temp hits 100F. I drive off when the idle drops. Thankfully my car is in a heated garage, so it takes only 3 mins., give or take.

Does this coincide with the blue light on the dash going out?
I know that our '17 NA revs to 2K on startup at any temperature.
Not sure at what oil temperature it settles down although I guess I could sit in the car and watch.

Look, as per the comments in this thread, there are sound reasons to let your car warm up for driver comfort and safety.

Of course I'm not advocating driving off with a half inch of ice on the windscreen. That's dangerous. Running the car to get heat is sound.

BUT the article in question is explaining why it's better to run the engine for warmup - for the engine's sake.

And it's using a bunch of falsities and poor arguments to justify it.

But to say "run it until your vehicle is safe to drive, regardless of 32F, or -32F" is less than a sentence, and doesn't sound anywhere near as smart as their article.

For example
Quote:
It’s not just me saying this—actual intelligent, non-morons agree, like the folks at Team O’Neil Rally School, who drive cars in sub-zero weather all the time:

ummm, of course a Rally school warms their cars up before beating on them...everyone knows you don't beat on a cold engine (except BJ Barlin, the Madman from Brindabella, who did burnouts on his cold Cleveland on 20W50).

Quote:
Even if the car can start and drive nearly immediately, every rubber thing in that engine is still hard and cold and brittle, those fluids are still highly viscous, and while driving is possible, putting any load on that engine isn’t doing it any favors.

The "rubber things" will still warm up quicker if the engine warms up quicker. And loading the engine isn't "loading" the rubber parts either. Again, no-one is advocating beating on a cold engine, however the more viscous oil thins quicker when revs increase...so light load driving still does a better job than idling. (Again, no-one is advocating beating on a cold engine).

Quote:
Will you need to accelerate suddenly to avoid danger? Who knows? It could happen. Will you have to detour and end up going up a steeper hill that requires more power? It can happen. And, remember, any hill will put your engine under load.

Ultimately, what’s the point of risking it? Why put yourself in a position where you could be needlessly causing engine damage?

Not an argument in the least...what sort of damage are they suggesting would be created by using normal driving techniques (seriously an unexpected hill is going to damage an engine ?...you've already been running the engine for at least 5 minutes by that point (my assumption, but it's equally as valid as hypothesising that you MIGHT need to be Don Garlits to avoid an accident).

Quote:
Their other big argument against warming up a fuel injected car revolves around that the fuel mixture is more rich when cold, and gas is a solvent that washes away oil, which is true, but ignores the fact that when driving, you’re injecting even more gasoline into the cylinders as you accelerate.

False argument...idling cold is more likely to wash cylinders, and for longer than light load operation.

They've slapped together a bunch of dot points that aren't valid/true. or overexaggerated their case to justify idling as a methid of protecting your engine.

Again.
* Warmup is quickest when lightly loaded and revs are above idle.
* that's NOT advocating beating on a cold engine.
* If you've got ice on your screen, that's a safety issue that needs to be managed. Idle you car for however long you need to be safe.

The "my car's a tool, so I choose to idle" is equally as valid as "my car's a tool, I'm getting in it and driving"...except the article paints that latter as damaging (or potentially) when it isn't.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Does this coincide with the blue light on the dash going out?
I know that our '17 NA revs to 2K on startup at any temperature.
Not sure at what oil temperature it settles down although I guess I could sit in the car and watch.

The WRX is not equipped with a blue engine cold light. Not sure why.

I have the oil temp as part of my tri gauge screen. You have the same option on the Forrester, I believe. When I start up I usually switch from the boost screen to the said tri gauge screen, and once I hit 100 oil temp and drive off, I switch back to the boost screen.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Originally Posted By: pezzy669

I run E85 in my Silverado year round, and it has never failed to start, and runs fine after 10 to 15 seconds.

E85 is blended down with more gasoline during winter months especially up north, E85 can range from E51-E83 and still legally carry the E85 tag. They mess with the blend during winter months to avoid starting issues on flex fuel vehicles. My car was in the shop for ~3 weeks so either it sucked up a lot of water or I am still working through the last tank of a higher blend. Now I will say in Atlanta we have had a much harder and longer cold snap than last year so that may be playing into things.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
I started my truck this morning at 19'F. I am posting this to kill time while it warms up. 5 minutes should do it.

You heretic you.
shocked.gif
You got a heat wave there in SC, it's 8°F here in the Piedmont of NC this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back