It’s worth to report lost stolen jack to apartment complex ?

I report to the complex . They say they can’t do anything but told me to report to the police . My life I never want to deal with court or police . Imma just lock up my stuff from now on .

Many law enforcement agencies are incorporating telephone based and internet based crime reporting. Instead of tying up an officer responding to a very low priority call and filing out a report. one either telephones a dedicated phone number or goes to the appropriate website and fills out a crime report that way. You are given a police report number for your records as well as for your insurance company if one files a claim.

When our 1999 Silverado was stolen, I telephoned 911, they took the vehicle information for a broadcast and then transferred me to the telephone reporting system for the law enforcement jurisdiction I was in. While not a trivial crime, several hours had passed between the time the vehicle was stolen and my discovery, so I was not upset that an officer did not respond to take the report.

The apartment complex or law enforcement aren't going to take any action on something like this. Both may pay you some lip service but no actual results will follow. I'd just consider it a $100 life lesson.
Not necessarily. They wouldn't be able to put it on NCIC as stolen goods since there's no serial number, but they would add it to their files, and if they ever bust some dirtbag that is found to have a pile of stolen property, they'll usually reference their list and see if any of the stuff is on it.

Chances are super slim, and of course, all of the above depends on the agency, and the area you're in. Big city, probably no chance. Smaller, more rural area, somewhat better chance. Still, massive YMMV on it.

Probably would do more good to post your experience on a FB or Next Door group for your area than to tell the complex management.

If you goal is to give a heads up, social media will go further than management that likely doesn't care.

Make sure you are allowed to work on your car - don't want to snitch on yourself and get into trouble.
Exactly. Most apartment complexes or at least the ones without section 8 renters probably don’t allow tenants to work in their vehicle

Take a plastic bag, put some scrap metal in it and load the rest with Dog poop. Put a note inside to thank them for being the way they are. Let's see how long it takes them to steal it. 🤣🤣🤣

Exactly. Most apartment complexes or at least the ones without section 8 renters probably don’t allow tenants to work in their vehicle
I live in a really nice apt complex . They always keep thing around clean . Yes they do allow you to work on car . Just have some common sence where you not gonna dump 8 quart of oil or leave your cars on jackstand for week to week ..: do a quick oil change or tune up and clean the area where you work after ….

Report it to the police. Assume it's not a secure fenced in parking lot, what do you expect your apartment complex to do about it? And don't leave anything of value in your vehicle when it's unattended.
Agree. Apartment complex surely has disclaimers and whatnot.

That said, take police report to complex management and ask them if this is the sort of scenario they want to be known for?

GET A POLICE REPORT AND claim the loss on "RENTERS INSURANCE" COMANY.

Renters insurance policy protects against theft of your personal property, including bicycles, cash, and items outside of your home.... check your policy. Renters insurance covers damage to or theft of personal property, personal liability damages, emergency medical expenses for guests and additional living expenses if you need to temporarily relocate. However, your insurer will not reimburse you for every event related to this coverage, as only certain events qualify for a claim.

GET A POLICE REPORT AND claim the loss on "RENTERS INSURANCE" COMANY.

Renters insurance policy protects against theft of your personal property, including bicycles, cash, and items outside of your home.... check your policy. Renters insurance covers damage to or theft of personal property, personal liability damages, emergency medical expenses for guests and additional living expenses if you need to temporarily relocate. However, your insurer will not reimburse you for every event related to this coverage, as only certain events qualify for a claim.
I will check my renters insurance . But dang I do not want speak to a cops . Or call the cop for them to show up … I think I will just let this one go and carefull leave stuff out even for few day .

Even if you had insurance to cover it, I'm betting the deductible is more than the depreciated value of an old floor jack a couple of jack stands.

I think I will just let this one go and carefull leave stuff out even for few day .

I don't think you are understanding the situation you are living in yet.

You don't live in a house anymore, with a yard.
You live in an apartment complex.

You don't leave ANYTHING out an unattended for ANY amount of time when you live in an apartment complex, EVER.
Not a few days. Not a few minutes.

You need to realize that the person who steals your property out of your truck most likely lives in whatever windows face where your truck is parked, and they walk by your truck every day.

quick update : im going for shopping for some floorjack at haborfreight . this time i dont want anything heavy, i want something that i can put back of my honda civic trunk while travel or under the rear seat of my truck. im looking at the 1.5 ton aluminum floor jack , my question is will be still able to jack up a F150 to change the a tires ? my use of floorjack is oil change, tires rotation on family 4 door sedan or my sport car, and my truck. but i want carry it around on my trip while travel, will this lightweight 1.5 ton fit my need ?
floorjack.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I report to the complex . They say they can’t do anything but told me to report to the police . My life I never want to deal with court or police . Imma just lock up my stuff from now on .

Keep in your trunk and away from thieves.

Back